Question Power supply not turning on after unplugging it

mkvdv

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Hi all, just tonight I unplugged my power supply as I was cleaning up in order to my computer, fast forward about thirty minutes and I plug everything back up, and my power supply isn't turning on, I tried switching sockets, etc. At first I thought it was a problem with my surge protector, but everything else BUT my power cord for my computer turns on and fine. It was fine just two hours ago before I turnt it off, is it possible that damage happened in the span of me cleaning up?

I know to not clean around my computer, hence why I moved it, I moved the power cord out the way as I was sweeping too. Windows also kept telling me about a USB power surge, is it possible that something happened to my motherboard? I’m going to assume it’s just my plug or something, I’m really just lost, I need my computer for schoolwork even though I primarily had it for gaming originally, and I honestly don’t know if my parents will believe me even though this is 100% the truth

Specs are:
I5-4460
GTX 1070
16GB of Ram
2x 500GB SSD
1x 1TB HDD
Motherboard is Gigabyte 797X
and Power Supply is EVGA Nex 750

sorry if this is sloppy, writing this at 2am with extremely bad nerves.

Viprex

BANNED
May 16, 2019
Your power supply isn't turning on? As in, the PSU fan doesn't start when the wall socket, PSU power switch, and case's power button is turn on?

This could be a simply issue with incorrect front panel connections. To check, try bridging the specified pins on the motherboard connector with a paperclip as shown here:
faq_PSU-Paper-Clip-Test-Content-5.png

If the problem persists, you can isolate the PSU from your system and use Corsair's PSU Paper Clip Test method.

Hi all, just tonight I unplugged my power supply as I was cleaning up in order to my computer, fast forward about thirty minutes and I plug everything back up, and my power supply isn't turning on, I tried switching sockets, etc. At first I thought it was a problem with my surge protector, but everything else BUT my power cord for my computer turns on and fine. It was fine just two hours ago before I turnt it off, is it possible that damage happened in the span of me cleaning up?

I know to not clean around my computer, hence why I moved it, I moved the power cord out the way as I was sweeping too. Windows also kept telling me about a USB power surge, is it possible that something happened to my motherboard? I’m going to assume it’s just my plug or something, I’m really just lost, I need my computer for schoolwork even though I primarily had it for gaming originally, and I honestly don’t know if my parents will believe me even though this is 100% the truth

Specs are:
I5-4460
GTX 1070
16GB of Ram
2x 500GB SSD
1x 1TB HDD
Motherboard is Gigabyte 797X
and Power Supply is EVGA Nex 750

sorry if this is sloppy, writing this at 2am with extremely bad nerves.

Hold on here, if Windows is telling you about a power surge, do you mean before this issue happened or after? Because if after, that means the system is turning on to give you the error. Yes that USB power surge message may be an issue with motherboard or some component connected to it. See if it turns on with everything unplugged from USB ports.

With the system unplugged, remove the CMOS battery and hold in the power button for about 15 second. Plug in CMOS battery and wall power and see if it turns on.

This can't be the issue because the only thing that was done was the computer was unplugged from wall power, not opened or re-wired.

Your power supply isn't turning on? As in, the PSU fan doesn't start when the wall socket, PSU power switch, and case's power button is turn on?

This could be a simply issue with incorrect front panel connections. To check, try bridging the specified pins on the motherboard connector with a paperclip as shown here:
faq_PSU-Paper-Clip-Test-Content-5.png

If the problem persists, you can isolate the PSU from your system and use Corsair's PSU Paper Clip Test method.

mkvdv

Commendable
May 12, 2017
The USB power surge thing happened beforehand, I appreciate all the help from everyone a lot.
It’s either my power supply or my motherboard, I was up from nearly 11pm to 3am just trying everything out, usually my case fans would light up, same for my keyboard and mouse they usually light up.

I have a feeling it’s related to my power supply, I’ve had issues with old motherboards before and I vaguely remember the system fans atleast coming out before going off along with it trying to boot up atleast, but this time it does nothing like there’s no power to it.
To clear things up more, I unplugged my power supply plug after turning everything off as I was cleaning my desk area, I made sure to put my computer in a safe spot so I don’t accidentally mess anything up.

I’m just honestly baffled, I clean the area around my desk always every 2 weeks, and this has not happened ever before, my PC had one random instance of where it randomly just turnt off on its own, everything was fine afterwards though. I think something is wrong with my power supply plug or something, I highly doubt it’s my PSU itself but it could be, my surge protector possibly could’ve damaged it, I have no idea truly.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I’ll try the paper clip thing later, then probably try a different plug, if that doesn’t work then I’ll know it’s my power supply, if worse comes to worse then I’m probably gonna have to get a new PSU or if it’s my motherboard a new motherboard.

Luckily my birthday is coming up so I should have enough money saved up for repairs. Thanks again for the help everyone I’ll update later.