Power supply not turning on completely!

wolfensteve

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
I've been having problems with my pc for a bit now. Every time id turn it off it wont turn back on unless i unplug it back in again and spam the power switch. sometimes id have to wait and spam for over 48 hours till it tired on. this was all fine and all until the power switch (front panel) broke a few days ago. so i switched to using a screw driver and shorting the pins. this worked once after a few days of going at it and i got it on. then four days later my power went out now i have to turn my pc on again. ive been going at it for ages. when i put the screw driver on the pins i hear a faint sound coming from the power supply i can make it stop if i put the screw driver back on the pins turning it off in a way. i dont know if the problem is my motherboard or my psu. and my psu works when i put a papper clip in the 24 pin. Is it my motherboard? psu? or could've my front panel switch fried it. im pretty new to pc building btw. ive had this pc for 6 months and it only just started have problems.

Specs:
GTX 970 (only oc sometimes, rarely)
i5 6600
16gb DRR4 RAM
MSI Krait z170 motherboard
xfx xtr 850w psu
1tb HDD + 250gb ssd

Solution
It 's been said too many times. Paper clip test only shows if fan is working and it's in no way a proof that PSU works properly. I would try another, known good PSU of appropriate power rating before that PSU (if it's it's fault) blows something else. That's only way to test if you don't have real PSU tester that can put a full load on it.
It 's been said too many times. Paper clip test only shows if fan is working and it's in no way a proof that PSU works properly. I would try another, known good PSU of appropriate power rating before that PSU (if it's it's fault) blows something else. That's only way to test if you don't have real PSU tester that can put a full load on it.

Solution