Power Supply or ATI HD 5770 problem?

vincentchan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I recently got a computer running Windows 7, it works fine with everything else, however whenever I play a game, the computer automatically reboots. More specifically, it sounds like it shuts down, waits 2 seconds, and then reboots by itself. However, this rebooting pattern is quite erratic. I have managed to play the games AT LEAST once with the computer, with absolutely no problems at all, but upon future execution of the games the computer always reboots automatically. More often that not, the computer only reboots the instant I have actually entered gameplay (ie, the time when I am actually in control of the characters). When I am in the main menu of the games, the computer doesn't usually reboot. I would be guessing that the problem lies with either the Power Supply or the Graphics Card, I'm not sure which one and why/how to fix it.

The two games I've tried are StreetFighter4 and Mirror's Edge. I have managed to play both games perfectly fine at some point of time with the same computer (for some weird reason they worked that time), but now they both hang the minute actual gameplay starts. If it matters, both games worked perfectly fine the first time round, but not subsequent attempts to play them.

My specs are as follows:
Windows 7 Professional
Direct X 11
Core i5 CPU@2.67Ghz/2.79Ghz
4GB RAM
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5770
Intel DP55WG Motherboard
ToughPower Cable Management 750W
23" LG LCD Screen, if that matters

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks! :)

vincentchan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah it's connected, the fan's running fine too so i'm assuming that it's getting power, whether it's getting sufficient power or not is a different issue i guess. I'm very new to CPUs and still learning alot so i'm a little off with the jargon.

Since both games ran perfectly fine the first times around, could it still be a problem of the power supply to the gfx card?

vincentchan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I'll try to do that, but I'm the only one with a desktop around this area, everyone else uses a laptop. And replacing the graphics card is going to be really difficult because I bought my desktop in Singapore and brought it over here to Ireland :(

vincentchan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I'm testing my entire system with passmarkburnittest now, hopefully it'll shed some light on the problem. And if need be, I'll have to force myself to learn how to change the video card haha. Tampering with a CPU for the first time is worrying.

chemman10

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

The first thing that comes to my mind is your overclock. How much stress testing have you done? I would also test your memory with memtest86. Test all of your memory sticks together and also individually to make sure you don't have a bad stick.