Power Supply or CPU problem?

Straain

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
So I've had my build for about a year and four months, and I've been quite a shit owner I'd say. I hadn't dusted it until a couple months back, and overtime the performance became worse and worse. It came to a point I want to say a month ago, where the computer would randomly and very abruptly shut off without warning. It would happen at the most perculiar of times, almost never when under load, and most frequent under idle. Today, my computer has barely been usable, shutting off at least 8 times. So I decided to troubleshoot through these forums and was persuaded to believe that my power supply was the reason for the crashes. However, I decided to exhaust whatever options I had, and checked my CPU temps while I had the machine on idle using a third party program, shortly before it crashed. At the time of the crash, it stated that my CPU was running at approximately 81 degrees celsius, which I know is absolutely terrible. I then left the computer to cool for a few minutes (although the heatsink was still warm), then booted it again, this time checking my CPU temps in the bios. 64 degrees celsius.

I've since taken the computer apart, deconstructed the fan and cleaned out all the dust I could, and noticed that the thermal paste was faded on the heatsink.

So is this really a CPU problem or are the temps a lie and my power supply is really to blame?

Cheers in advance,
Josh.

Solution
Hi there, One reason of freezing and crashing is because of high temps of CPU to avoid being damage. So I will recomend you to apply new quality thermal paste. Don't even apply too much. Then correctly attach the cooler after cleaning it. Then check the temps. If temps remains the same then change processor and check the system behaviour, If works fine then there's problem with your CPU otherwise also check PSU or repalce it.

ak195

Distinguished
Hi there, One reason of freezing and crashing is because of high temps of CPU to avoid being damage. So I will recomend you to apply new quality thermal paste. Don't even apply too much. Then correctly attach the cooler after cleaning it. Then check the temps. If temps remains the same then change processor and check the system behaviour, If works fine then there's problem with your CPU otherwise also check PSU or repalce it.

Solution

Straain

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
So instead, I brought it into the computer shop where I purchased all the parts AND had it built. Payed quite the sum of money for them to service it and identify the problem. They came back saying that all my hardware passed their tests and that something to do with my copy of windows was to blame. Brought the computer home, formatted my hdd and reinstalled windows 7. Crash. Formatted my hdd again and this time installed a torrented version of windows 8.1. Crash. Formatted my hdd AGAIN and this time installed Ubuntu. Crash.
These crashes all occurred after successfully installing the operating systems, so there were no faults during the installations, which leads me to believe that neither the power supply nor the cpu are to blame, but actually the RAM. Think about it, is RAM actually being used when you install an operating system? It seems to me that because the computer runs fine during the installation of all operating systems I've tried, but doesn't function when the computer's actually in use, that the RAM is to blame for the crashes. I have to ring the company again in the morning to relay the information I've discovered, and have to refrain from taking the computer apart again as they have put warranty seals on the back, and if I remove them, I have to pay another fee of $120 AUD, which is straight bullshit.

I will update tomorrow when I find things out, but I want to hear your opinions. Do you think it's the RAM?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
i came here from your other thread. You can always check if it is the RAM using memtest 86.
http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/memtest86-usb.zip
This link will download you a version where you can make a bootable usb.

Now, you didn't post what are your temps like after you have cleaned and apllied a new thermal paste to the cpu.
Next, you didn't approach the computer shop well. Weren't they the ones that installed your copy of windows?