[SOLVED] Power supply or gpu making a radiation-like sound?

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Hey, so today i noticed a radiation-like (geiger counter?) sound coming from my pc case, i thought it could be the hdd since hdds make noises but no, the noise comes from the psu/gpu area, the gpu and psu are pretty close to eachother so i can't tell which one of those 2 is making the noise, is this harmful? It does not seem to affect system performance, i did not change any hardware so im confused as of why it is happening, it mainly happens when i play games.
Is this harmful? the noise concerns me.

16gb ram
256gb ssd, 440gb ssd, 1tb hdd
1660 super
ryzen 5 4600g
310watt psu hp default
Sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gBk2VRyxlY6MYWggA5Y-Xm5X20FJ1Tik/view?usp=sharing
https://prnt.sc/1qiwzpt
^ psu near gpu

Last edited:
Solution
No it's not coming from fans
so you have already checked them all for interference and tested by stopping them?
the pc is pretty quiet and it only happens when playing games
this would lead me even more towards it possibly being a fan.

as you stress the system and raise temperatures fan's RPM will increase.
as the speed increases any fault in the bearings, balancing, or blade interference would produce more noise making it more audible.
check for any fan interference; cables, etc that may be touching blades.
also try gently stopping any fans in the area of the sound by lightly pressing on their center.

if you can determine that it is not one of the system's fans making the sound then i may start to get a bit nervous.

No it's not coming from fans
so you have already checked them all for interference and tested by stopping them?
the pc is pretty quiet and it only happens when playing games

as the speed increases any fault in the bearings, balancing, or blade interference would produce more noise making it more audible.

Solution

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017

it's coming directly from the psu tho, i have 3 fans on the case including the cpu can, and both are at the top of the case while the psu is at the bottom. I recorded an audio and updated the forum too.

if it's just a fan related issue it should not be harmful right?
would depend on the actual issue. a fan could also cause a short if it's malfunctioning electrically.
if it's just bearings or unbalanced blades making noise than it wouldn't be a problem as long as the fan still keeps it cool enough.

pull the PSU out and inspect it for any easily identifiable issues like wires touching fan blades, etc.
also check for any smells or anything abnormal.