Power Supply paranoia help please

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I just got my new components from Newegg, which included a 400W PSU from Coolmax, the 400-CXB Taurus. It was less expensive than the Antecs et al, and had favorable reviews on Newegg. Here's my paranoia: I live in the US and most electrical equipments will always have the UL (Underwriters' Lab) label that supposedly signifies the product is safe. Well, this one has the components recognized symbol, also from UL, but not the actual UL mark. Is this thing safe to use assuming my home wiring has no problems even though the coveted UL symbol is absent? Maybe I just need to go to bed and stop worrying, but I would hate it if my little hobby cost us our house.

Thanks in advance.

Brandt

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I sincerely doubt a newer powersupply could cause any sort of fire. I have yet to see one that doesn't have some sort of protection against going up in flames. The most I have seen out of any powersupply was a nice loud pop and a whole lot of smoke, never any sort of fire.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Thank you for the response. After I posted I thought how silly all this sounded. Plus, I went to the Coolmax site and they state all their products are UL certified. I suspect they would be setting themselves up for some litigation were this not true. We'll see what happens, this new system is being assembled this weekend.