[SOLVED] Power supply problem?

Nov 24, 2020
Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad 700-15 ISK
First my mouse wasn't working but I plugged it on a different computer and it worked fine.
Then my screen brightness went up and down roughly every 5 seconds.
Eventually the laptop shut down.
I don't think it was a charger issue cause the USB ports didn't give any power either.
Come to think of it my external speakers didn't work either.
Is this a power supply issue?
And if so, is it expensive to fix?
Thanks in advance guys

Solution
Hey!

Again, I am not really familiar with laptops so my help is limited.

My guess is there's something wrong with the adapter or the battery.

• Try troubleshooting and see if there's a problem.
  • Have you recently installed an app, or some kind of software, etc. (if you have, try uninstalling it and see if that fixes your problem).
  • Just to be sure, try rolling back the latest Windows update.
  • If that doesn't work, reset your PC (but choose to keep your files). It will do a clean re-install of Windows whilst keeping your documents, games. apps & other files.
  • If anything above doesn't work, send the laptop to the manufacturer (if the laptop is still under warranty) so they can try to fix the problem...
Jan 11, 2020
Hello, Kont3!

Laptops don't have power supplies, instead they have AC adapters (that box that's on the power cable).

It doesn't necessarily mean it's the adapter's issue. Maybe there's a faulty Windows update.

• What do you normally use your laptop (for gaming, for work, etc.) for?
  • Does the little box (AC adapter) get really hot?
  • How long have you been experiencing this issue for (was it after a Windows update)?
I don't think these adapters are expensive (if you had to change it).
I am not too familiar with laptops (especially not their power management) so that's all the info I can give you.

Wait to see what other people say and then decide.

Best regards,

Matt!

Nov 24, 2020
Hey Matt
I use it for gaming. I've put 80 hours into a game(DOS2) recently. I don't use other apps while playing cause it crashes sometimes. Other than that it runs fine.
Until this problem came up. Now if I try to play the game, despite having the adaptor plugged in, I lose battery power. This doesnt happen with normal use like browsing etc. The adapter doesn't seem to get too hot either.
The last Windows update was like a week before this all started.
Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer

Jan 11, 2020
Hey!

Again, I am not really familiar with laptops so my help is limited.

My guess is there's something wrong with the adapter or the battery.

• Try troubleshooting and see if there's a problem.
  • Have you recently installed an app, or some kind of software, etc. (if you have, try uninstalling it and see if that fixes your problem).
  • Just to be sure, try rolling back the latest Windows update.
  • If that doesn't work, reset your PC (but choose to keep your files). It will do a clean re-install of Windows whilst keeping your documents, games. apps & other files.
  • If anything above doesn't work, send the laptop to the manufacturer (if the laptop is still under warranty) so they can try to fix the problem.
  • At last, consider replacing the AC adapter because it might be causing all of the issues, even if it doesn't get too hot.
But please, before doing anything that could cost you money or if there's a risk of your files being deleted, corrupted see what other people think because I am probably not giving you all of the possible solutions, etc.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you fix your problem.

Have fun!

Solution