Question Power Supply problems - PC will not power up ?

Jun 17, 2022
Greetings everyone.

Hoping someone will be able to find a solution to this.
Last week after using my PC I shut down as normal before going to bed. The following morning it would not start up at all. No power whatsoever.

I checked the wall socket that is connected to a UPS as I first thought that may have been a problem so moving over to another wall socket I found it did not help.

I then figured my Power supply must have snuffed it so I ordered a replacement.
Weird thing is that when I tried the new one the same thing happened.

Now I am thinking that something else is causing the problem but I was unable to isolate the issue. After much frustration I decided to start over and upgrade, or I should say replace seeing as my PC was over 7 years old

So...... all this week I have been building a rather expensive replacement and to my horror found that after the initial test which seemed to work OK
at first, decided not to start up after I shut down.

I then purchased a power supply tester and found that the PG level (Power Good Signal) is only 90 ms.
Power good values are often considered abnormal if detected lower than 100 ms or higher than 500 ms

Power good signal - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org

I am getting the same result on a previous power supply that I returned thinking it was faulty

Is this the reason why my PC will not power on because there is not enough power going through to the motherboard?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jun 17, 2022
GPU

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Ventus OC

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

MB
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master

CASE
4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower - Black

COOLING
iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler

MEMORY
DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

STORAGE
MP400 2TB

PSU
RMx Series™ RM850x — 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU

FANS
iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE Performance 120mm Triple Fan Kit with Lighting Node CORE
iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE Performance 120mm Fan

Greetings everyone.

Hoping someone will be able to find a solution to this.
Last week after using my PC I shut down as normal before going to bed. The following morning it would not start up at all. No power whatsoever.

I checked the wall socket that is connected to a UPS as I first thought that may have been a problem so moving over to another wall socket I found it did not help.

I then figured my Power supply must have snuffed it so I ordered a replacement.
Weird thing is that when I tried the new one the same thing happened.

Now I am thinking that something else is causing the problem but I was unable to isolate the issue. After much frustration I decided to start over and upgrade, or I should say replace seeing as my PC was over 7 years old

So...... all this week I have been building a rather expensive replacement and to my horror found that after the initial test which seemed to work OK
at first, decided not to start up after I shut down.

I then purchased a power supply tester and found that the PG level (Power Good Signal) is only 90 ms.
Power good values are often considered abnormal if detected lower than 100 ms or higher than 500 ms

Power good signal - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org

I am getting the same result on a previous power supply that I returned thinking it was faulty

Is this the reason why my PC will not power on because there is not enough power going through to the motherboard?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
If the wall socket is feeding a ups and the ups is feeding the pc bypass the ups and connect the pc direct to the wall socket....test.

If no help try a different wall socket.

Jun 17, 2022
If the wall socket is feeding a ups and the ups is feeding the pc bypass the ups and connect the pc direct to the wall socket....test.

If no help try a different wall socket.

I have done all that which is why I am now losing my mind and too scared to plug any new components that I have replaced.

I returned the new PSU and the motherboard for a replacement and even ordered a new case thinking that the case could be causing a short.

I have basically turned myself into Trigger from only fools and horses with a similar story like his broomstick and brush that he has replaced individually over the years but still making out that it's still his original one.

Jun 17, 2022
I have not rebuilt anything yet since and have only been testing the PSU with the power supply tester

I am concerned that the PG level (Power Good Signal) is only 90 ms.

I am hoping someone reading this has to experience with these testers and share their thoughts