dolpho

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I have gone through 2 power supplies in a year. Are the power supplies bad, or is there another place I can look. Everything was working fine, but when I went to turn it on again, there was no power. I checked with another power supply and everything worked fine.

My computer:
Enermax EG301P-VE 300watt
InWin case
AMD 1.2Ghz, Vantec heatsink
Abit KT7A motherboard
256meg ram
40gig WD harddrive
LG cd burner

svol

Champion
You could be very unlucky... but a PSU can also be fried by large peeks in the powernet. I dunno how good the powernet and company is in your area.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .

dolpho

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
The first time the power supply went, I was at a different location then I am now. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?

svol

Champion
I took another look at your system and it could be that you're overloading your PSU if you got a GeForce4 Ti or higher card in that machine. Or a lot of fans or something else that eats much power.
300W should be enough for a 1.2GHz CPU, if you don't have to much inside your case sucking power.

dolpho

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I have Xpert2000 32meg video card, a second harddrive. I have no extra fans. I have my computer plugged into a surge protector. There has been no lightening or noticable power fluctuations recently.
Recently I lowered voltage to my cpu and decrease voltage to mt cpu fan so it would run quieter. I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

svol

Champion
I doubt that could have caused it... Strange, if it couldn't be caused due overload or a power surge it must have gone bad by itself.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The voltage decrease shouldnt hurt the power supply, after all you are reducing the load a little. Course it might cauze system stability problems, but i can run my XP1800+ at 1.625v without problems :)

Its possible you were unlucky...
or there was an errand surge or you were living with dirty mains power and didnt know it.

The cheap solution is a surge protector powerboard, a more expensive (but better) solution is a UPS system... can be had for $60 US. they iron out just about all power problems.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>