Discussion Power supply / PSU models - What to buy, what to avoid - And PSU discussion thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED
Corsair TXM 750W GOLD

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-tx-750m-power-supply-review-80-plus-gold/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-tx750m-psu,5062.html

Corsair RMX 750W Gold

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-rm750x-review/

Corsair RMX 550W Gold

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484.html

Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/23/seasonic_prime_1000w_gold_power_supply_review

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-1000w-gold-psu-review/

Seasonic Prime Gold 850W

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-850w-gold-psu-review/

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Have you taken the Vaccine for pneumonia? After having walking pneumonia for a month I got it, and haven't had a problem in ~5 years.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

Yes but this is different. Nobody comes to this site asking "where can I find a review on this power supply?" They are asking what power supply to buy. Plus most (like most most) people don't read or care about PSU reviews anyway, and those who actually do should know how to find them.

Then let them? I personally don't care if you make this list, but I'm just trying to save you and others from spending a lot of unnecessary time. It just seems like picking up the slack from people who don't want to google.

Ironically, I can find a PSU review quicker with Google than by coming to this webpage.

Those would be people who don't read PSU reviews in the first place, so they wouldn't even want to Google anything let alone click on any of these reviews. If someone is someone who looks at PSU reviews, they should know how to find them. There's no way people don't know how to search for a review of something when you simply search for a review of something. Don't underestimate people, it's not a lack of ability it's a lack of willingness.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

Probably trying to trick people into spending more money on PSUs on Black Friday.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

This is a general response to how I feel about all your responses.
1. Looking your responses, I think you need to think of this thread like a library.
2. You can browse around, learn things about different PSUs, and have a quick reference that bring people back to this site. Since it requires very little effort to create the list, just willingness to put forth effort, why not make it?
3. You can have a discussion on PSUs with a thread that won't disappear overtime.
4. You won't be off topic when discussing PSU's in the tier list thread.
5. Judging by the response by some people to the thread already I would say at least some people like this idea. I do.

Darkbreeze

Titan
@Turkey3scratch, seems like, contrary to what I and a couple of others may have said in your defense in years past, that you only ever have negative things to say, about just about everything, so my advice is if that's going to be the case, just go spread your negativity elsewhere. Just because YOU don't see value in something doesn't mean it has none. I'm not even going to address your responses because I'm sure you'll have something further that's negative to say about them anyhow. Can you actually point to anything you've added to this site that was either constructive or beneficial?

There's a lot more I could say, but I'm not going to waste my breath because I realize you THINK you are a lot smarter and more observant than everyone around you, much like your JG buddies do. Maybe you should just hang out with them instead of spreading your negativity all over this forum. If you don't like something, just stay away from it. Same thing most of them have been told. Simple really.

If you were REALLY as smart as you think you are, you would realize that in addition to actually being a resource, content like this adds value to the site due to the simple fact that it IS content that's relevant to what this site is here for in the first place. Google knows that, even if you apparently don't.

BTW, no pneumonia, just a nasty case of upper respiratory infection. That should make for a fun week.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED

That good to hear, just take the medicine and it should clear it right up soon. :)

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
I apologize to everybody, the way I presented my view could have been written in a less condescending matter. Come on the Tomshardware Discord, I am 95% goof there, believe me, I spend most of my time there rather than the main forums. I didn't see value in the list but you guys do. I totally accept that disagreement there, and that's fine. Plus, it can't do any harm anyway. Just want to make sure you guys thought this through and really want to go through with this list.

Keep in mind that whenever I talk to any of you the content of my words in no way describes my feelings toward you as a person. You probably know me as someone who is not afraid to raise a hand of objection. Please understand that any form of controversy is the greatest teacher of all, as it initiates dialogue. And the dialogue on this site is usually very friendly, and when I speak I hope not to be nasty and I hope that my objections to certain things do not paint me in a negative light as a person.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
I feel like this review list will just end up being like any other review lists (like realhardtechx, or techpowerup's), a source that the average consumer likely won't be able to digest. My suggestion is commenting next to the review/unit, to sum up the cons and pros, so people who don't understand much about power supplies don't have to research it for hours before reading all the reviews.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

Pros/cons would turn it into a very daunting task. But if they're up for it I suppose it won't hurt.

But pros/cons can generally be seen in the conclusion of a review, so whether that would be helpful or more redundant and a lot of work would be something for you guys to discuss.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Out of all the forum threads the PSU tier list thread has probably the most rigid characters hanging out in there from what I've seen from all the threads I visit. I'm sure it comes from a high level of confidence, technical skill, and years of experience, but it is what it is-a rough stone. I think you are far from the worst one I've experienced in tier chat, and I found you often offer informative comments like all of them. Others tend to be more brash, and maybe it's started to rub off on you somewhat. I would just be mindful of that would be my recommendation. It's hard for me to perceive someone as a bad person who markedly spends his time helping others. No harm no foul here with me.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Yes, though sometimes people don't understand the relevancy of the conclusion, as they change throughout reviewers, and throughout time. A good example of this is the JonnyGuru review of the Seasonic S12ii. That review conclusion leaves everyone believing this is such a great PSU, even today, yet reality is this unit is nearly mediocre for today's standards.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald
We already have a PSU review database and i don't see much point why to make a 2nd one here.
Link to the said database: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

Got a PSU question too:
Is there any difference other than efficiency between Seasonic SSR-650FX and Seasonic SSR-650PX?

Currently thinking which one to go for, either: SSR-650FX, SSR-650PX or even SSR-650TR.

I got S12II-520 powering my AMD build and it's a solid unit, even at today's standards, despite it's old design. If you want a mediocre unit, look towards Corsair CXm series.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

They're all the same platform, as Seasonic ditched it's original Prime Titanium platform for the "ultra" version in favor of using the Focus +'s platform. Which, I happen to wonder why they did that. Perhaps the Focus+ are actually more reliable than those original prime units? Or maybe cost cuts, who knows.

My rule of thumb would just be to get the Gold and save the money.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED

The SSR650PX has upgrade parts to make it Platinum rated, other than that the features are the same as is the warranty.

Now the Prime Titanium is a completely different model, their top end Model and currently one of if not the the best 650W PSU you can buy.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

Maybe I was wrong about the Prime Titanium Ultra being the same platform. I thought I had heard that recently and now it's bugging me I can't find it.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED

The Prime Titanium and Prime Titanium Ultra are the same, the main difference is the few extras they put in the box, a tester and the new SATA adaptor.

Now the Prime Gold 550W is Focus based with upgrades to meet Prime Standards. From 650W and up are Prime Platform.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

The new CXm and CX (2015 and 2017 models) are better than the S12ii series. Newer DC-DC platform so tighter voltages in crossload tests, and compatible with haswell sleep states, better performance overall, and includes necessary protections which the S12ii lacks in.

Also, for your other question,

The Seasonic 650FX has an average efficiency of 88.159%. The 650PX has average of 90.168%. The 650TR has an average of 92.425%.
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=12&volts=1

Which unit being more cost efficient depends on the price of them, electricity costs, power consumption of your system, and how long your sytem is being used (either on idle, full load, gaming load etc.)

Darkbreeze

Titan

That's exactly what a tier list does, takes OUT the need to DECIDE for yourself, based on the reviews, if a unit is any good or not. But obviously there is a whole bunch of people who think THAT idea sucks too. Thing is, no matter what ANYBODY comes up with, or does, in any walk of life, there's going to be a group of people who think it sucks and are vocal about it.

So, the tier list sucks, this list sucks, people suck because they can't go find and comprehend the information themselves, we suck because we can't create something that makes EVERYBODY happy and best of all, none of it really matters anyhow because as I was informed in the PSU tier list, even a tier 5 type unit that can barely sustain 150-250w is more than enough for any system since it's never going to burn up or damage anybodys hardware anyhow.

I mean, clearly we can just all run overclocked 8 core chips with overclocked top shelf graphics cards, with no problems at all, on a crappy HEC built TR2 power supply, so what's the point. Somebody needs to tell Oklahoma wolf and Aris to stop it with the reviews too. Those are no longer necessary either.

And no Turkey, THIS particular rant was not pointed your direction. Sorry if I was a bit direct with you earlier. I'm sick and I guess grumpy as hell too, so I'm on short supply with patience for negative vibes and condescension right now I guess.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald

I'm not looking to save money, instead, i'm looking great performance.

As far as Seasonic PRIME vs Seasonic PRIME Ultra goes, i contacted Seasonic about it and Seasonic rep answered this:
PRIME Ultra will introduce few updates for this Series:

* General optimization (capacitors for example)
* No more inline capacitor for PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium and Platinum
and Gold. Previous models has some on PCI-E and motherboard cables for
example.
* New accessories: PSU tester and SATA adapter compatible with SATA
3.3 used by some HDD recently released on market. Some SATA cable(s)
will have connectors at 180° instead of 90°.
* Shorter case (140mm only) for 550W, 650W, 750W in PRIME Ultra
Platinum and Gold.
As far as why Seasonic released their PRIME Ultra series after 1.5 years from the release of PRIME series, that i don't know. Perhaps they felt the need to overhaul the PRIME series.

I already own SSR-650TD but the new SSR-650TR is appealing to me. Oh, i'm planning to get new PSU to replace the SS-850AM2 out.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald

That's what I was thinking. Thank you, I had a misunderstanding.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS