Discussion Power supply / PSU models - What to buy, what to avoid - And PSU discussion thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkbreeze

Titan

I'm gonna be short and pointed (Ok, maybe not THAT short) on this one as well. If you like the one at realhardtechx so much, go hang out there. They have their content, Tom's hardware wants to start ELIMINATING the need for users to go to OTHER sites for content, so many are helping to create content here that is relevant, whether something similar exists elsewhere or not.

Aris quite OFTEN does reviews of models that have already been reviewed elsewhere, as do most of them, but you don't see any of them whining about how somebody else got to it first so they aren't going to bother with it. I like Realhardtechx, and use a variety of resources that can be found on their site. The links to PSU reviews isn't one of them, because the link to many reviews that are more like unboxing videos or simple overviews rather than actual in depth reviews, plus there are a lot of crap unit reviews linked to their.

That's all fine, but we're not going to be having any units listed here that are not recommended for use. If it's listed here then you can assume it is at least a somewhat worthy unit, think Tier3 or higher, with mostly Tier 1 and 2 units. I'd like people to be able to find something on this list, and then either go check out the review for themselves or simply know that if it was on here it's an ok unit to purchase. Nothing about well it's got better this or that feature, if you want that, read the reviews, otherwise, yep, a quick check of what's in my price range versus what's on this list and hopefully nobody who does that ends up with a stictly crappy power supply.

Of course ALL of this, and everything under the sun can be found somewhere else, but again, we'd like for people to not have to GO someplace else to find that information. That's the kind of thing that affects retention and helps you lose members. Why come here in the first place if you just have to go someplace else right from the very start. True, some of these reviews do that exact thing, but when possible, the Tom's hardware link will take preference over links going off site.

Darkbreeze

Titan

Yeah, no. For JUST that reason.

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/corsair-cx550m-farewell-group-design/7/#Conclusion-and-evaluation

I shopped that review around to a couple of other PSU reviewers (Because I was not fully confident at the time of Behemot's findings) and was told that, based on what they saw in that review, there was no reason to disbelieve the results without testing the units themselves and coming up with a different prognosis. If you can show me another definitive review showing something different, then I'll be more than happy to change my stance on that.

I'd LIKE to be able to confidently recommend those units because they have good prices, but as is, I cannot.

For now though, as for a while, at least THAT particular CXm unit is off my recommended list and since it DOESN'T handle the crossloading and stay within spec, it can't be better than the S12II which only has the problem with crossloading due to it's group regulated design. I'd much rather have a Seasonic S12II, and in fact I have four, and none of them has had any issues even with my Skylake system so long as the C7 state was turned off, which of course it was/should be, on any Haswell or newer Intel CPU.

For AMD systems, it's a non-factor.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
The issue could be isolated to the 550W unit. After all, the 650W one passed all of Aris' protection testing http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-6.html

Some other things about the hardwareinsights review, the undervoltage protection on the CX550M does work, it just triggers at 9.5V according to the review. Sadly, this is pretty normal for every PSU out there, but pavel does not like it regardless. You'll have trouble finding protection ICs where undervoltage protection comes in at something like 10.5V.

There are some people who are critical of the reviews, as can be seen with Stefan Payne's comment here. I have no comment on it personally.

One thing I notice is that pavel concludes overpower protection is not working because it shut down at 9.5V, so he's assuming it is undervoltage protection that shut it down (I believe). His testing methodology for protections could be questionable there, as how does he test both OPP and UVP, or can he only test one or the other? How does he know which one is trigger? There are questions I don't know, maybe someone else can answer them. I know for sure Aris' testing methodology with protections is super well-refined, and he is able to test those protections entirely isolated from one another somehow.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Corsair CX650M PSU Review
by Aris Mpitziopoulos

Corsair CX450M Review by The_Mask
Cybenetics Evaluation Report - Corsair CX450M
Cybenetics Evaluation Report - Corsair CX550M
Cybenetics Evaluation Report - Corsair CX650M
And them being the only reviewer to achieve those poor results, well, it's not great to rely on a single PSU review when there are more. Here's Stefan Payne take on the issue: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/?do=findComment&comment=10850526

Also, the newer CX series (2017, non modular) are even better performing, having LLC resonant rather than double forward + DC DC (different platform/s). [strike]Reviews[/strike] testings can be found on the Cybenetics Database.

Tier lists are different. Some pros and cons may benefit different people, for example noise, modularity, efficiency, cables, price, compatibility, etc. Tier lists just believe one category fits all, and doesn't even mention what exactly makes what go in each tier (atleast for the Tom's tier list)

we suck because we can't create something that makes EVERYBODY happy and best of all
I'm giving constructive criticism of how this list could be made more helpful/useful, not just blatantly saying it sucks.

Darkbreeze

Titan
I don't see any ACTUAL reviews of the CX550m on that list. The Cybenetics data doesn't qualify as a "review" in my opinion. It's good data to have, useful even, but it's not a review. Also, I've heard some pretty sketchy information about the Cybenetics data, even on JG by some of the folks you guys seem to favor highly, so although I don't know enough about the who, when and why of what they do, I am somewhat skeptical.

I find it hard to believe that somebody NOT a government agency (And usually, even them) is just doing all that testing out of the kindness of their hearts and isn't receiving some kind of compensation for the data. That totally leaves it open to bias. Again, perhaps not, but I don't know that either way. I think I trust the reviewers we know that are proven resources, more. That's just me though. You are certainly welcome to your own opinion on that and you may even be right.

The rest are all different models and we already know from model to model there can and usually ARE, anything from minor to major differences. Sometimes, often in fact, not even the same platform at all within different models of the same series, so reviews of other models means nothing to me. I will grant that it's totally possible the data on the hardwareinsights review has at least the potential to be flawed, but without some other review to negate it, it's kind of all we have. We've shunned better units for smaller issues, so until I see something that refutes that information unquestionably, kind of have to go with it.

Believe me, like I said, I wish somebody WOULD review that unit and show that it is worthy. Would make budget builds a bit easier to accomodate.

Even aside from that though, I've seen a few reviews of some of the other CXm models showing poor soldering and other concerns, which for the price range I guess you kind of have to expect, but it doesn't mean I have to recommend them. Plus there are clear examples of some of these units taking out hardware for no good reason, some of which have come from our own moderation team and member base, and I AM talking the 2015 and newer units, so for me it's a tough sell regardless.

Older Corsair CX units ALL tested good when new anyhow, they just didn't have very good longevity in gaming or high demand applications, so I guess it's not ALWAYS the last say just because they perform well out of the box. I suppose that could probably be applied to a lot of other, non-Corsair units as well though.

Darkbreeze

Titan

And that's a possibility I may look into at some point. For now though, I'd just like to make a list of whatever IS going to be on there for now, and then look at maybe expanding it's usefullness at some point after that. I do think though that adding anything beyond just "here are the the best reviews we could find" starts looking like ranking/tiering and invites a great deal of opinion, which is exactly what I'd like to not do aside from simply not including models that we just plain know are not good and should be avoided if at all possible.

You're not going to see any links to models using the Hale92 platform here or the old HEC TR2 platform, or probably any unit that unanimously has been awarded crap level achievement on any of the tier lists in existence.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
I don't see any ACTUAL reviews of the CX550m on that list.
My fourth link. You can find the reviews/testings underneath the Report. These reports are as non bias as you can get, containing only raw data, no personal opinions on quality.

Also, I've heard some pretty sketchy information about the Cybenetics data, even on JG by some of the folks you guys seem to favor highly,
I would like to see this, could you link me?

The Cybenetics data doesn't qualify as a "review" in my opinion.
Likely not, because it leaves out all opinions, and personal ratings. Just raw data from testing.

who, when and why of what they do, I am somewhat skeptical.
Ran by Aris (one of the best, if not the best PSU reviewer), http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139051&postcount=3, properly test PSUs, and give them efficiency and noise ratings with better methodology than other ratings, also providing a full report for each PSU. There is alot of information in this thread: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14307 and in the About Us section of Cybenetics: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=history

is just doing all that testing out of the kindness of their hearts and isn't receiving some kind of compensation for the data
Companies pay them.

I think I trust the reviewers we know that are proven resources, more.
Then you can trust Cybenetics.

The rest are all different models and we already know from model to model there can and usually ARE, anything from minor to major differences.
Same thing applies with reviewers.

not even the same platform at all within different models of the same series, so reviews of other models means nothing to me.
CX550M is same model as 450 and 650 according to ORIONPSUDB. And I highly doubt Corsair / CWT would drastically change something that decreases the performance of the 550w version only.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED

Seasonic did some cleaning up of their product lines discontinuing certain product lines. The Platinum Series was one of them along with the G-Series and X-Series. Looks like the Focus (Semi Modular) is replacing the G-Series and the Prime Gold is replacing the X-Series. Looks like the Focus Plus Platinum is replacing the old Platinum Series.

Also looks like they are using the Focus Plus Gold and Platinum platform base in some of the Prime Ultra Gold and Platinum Series with upgrades to bring them up to Prime standards.

As far as the Prime Titanium goes, JG tested both the TR and TD 650W models, the TD actually tested slightly better than the TR.

jankerson

Judicious
BANNED

I saw that review also and I don't recommend the CX550M either. With the history of bad issues with that line in general I don't feel comfortable recommending any of them. I have a feeling that in the effort to keep pricing low the quality has been cut too deep on these budget units.

turkey3_scratch

Polypheme
Herald
I am not skeptical of Cybenetics. They do get paid for every PSU they do, it's run by arguably the best, Aris, and the information presented is not altered in anyway, and that it is all tested on state-of-the-art equipment and under Aris' extensive testing program he developed.

Some may be skeptical of the badge system, but there's still a lot of great raw information you can get from it.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald

When i started to read your reply then i didn't get why you got so offended by my indifferent question. I didn't say that Realhardtechx is better and i'd rather be there than here, so why so offensive?

After reading more, i can see that you are trying to create a PSU review database of units that are safe to use which are of good quality while Realhardtechx database contains almost all PSU reviews, both good and bad units. For a end user, this PSU review database here would be a nice source of good quality units from which to choose from, without the need to figure out if the unit is safe to use or not, as it would be when reading reviews from Realhardtechx database.

But when i finished reading your reply, i figured out the real reason behind this PSU review database and also why you got so offended about my indifferent question. This PSU review database here isn't for the goodness of people. While it's masked to be a good thing, it's main purpose is to create a monopoly where the user no longer has the freedom of choice.
When keeping people on the Tom's Hardware site is the main goal, then removing reviews to the 3rd party sites and keeping only the Tom's Hardware reviews would be far better way to keep people on the site, which is also beneficial for the site's well-being.

If you would've been nice about my indifferent question and say that Realhardtechx database contains both good and bad units with reviews that many are only unboxings then i wouldn't think so as i described above. But you getting offended when some other site was mentioned/ linked shows the true colors about this status quo.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
You're not going to see any links to models using the Hale92 platform here or the old HEC TR2 platform, or probably any unit that unanimously has been awarded crap level achievement on any of the tier lists in existence.
Why not? We only know they're crap after reading reviews. I think it's just as important to know why a PSU is crap than why it's good.

Darkbreeze

Titan

Because if we were going to do THAT, THEN we might just as well send them to RealHardTechX where they can access both good and crap product reviews and still have to figure out which is which, which by your own statements they don't know about power supplies to do. Again, if you want to post links to crap power supplies you are more than welcome to do so, just, please do it in your own thread. I would prefer to only have links to trustworthy models so that the question will not be "is this unit good enough" but instead will only be "which of these good units is the best fit for ME?

Ultimately, most users couldn't give a tin sh$% which units are crappy, they just want to know which units are both good AND within their budget constraints. Having a list of good units to choose from allows them to make that decision for themselves, in a way that the end result is that no matter what they choose it won't be a mistake.

This PSU review database here isn't for the goodness of people. While it's masked to be a good thing, it's main purpose is to create a monopoly where the user no longer has the freedom of choice.
No, that's wrong. You can believe that if it soothes your conspirary theorist cravings, but that's not how it is at all. I decided to make this MYSELF, because "I" wanted to, not because TH or Purch asked me to, however, ALL sites link to internal content whenever possible. This is standard SEO practice, and if you don't understand that then any further explanations will be lost on you anyhow.

Obviously not ALL or even MOST of the reviews are hosted on Tom's hardware, so to say there is no freedom of choice is just bovine excrement spewing forth from your keyboard. If you want to slam somebody, at least do it with something that's actually somewhat factual. I wouldn't personally consider statements to the effect that somebody is trying to monopolize freedoms in some suppressive format, as being "nice". So, as we often say, you can dance to the same tune you paid the band to play.

I suppose this is partly my own fault, as apparently I wasn't clear on this from the start. I will be now. This thread is intended for unlimited and no holds barred when it comes to the spectrum of power supply discussions that are allowed here. If it's even loosely related to power supplies, feel free to discuss it. Even just minimally relevant electrical discussions are cool with me. In fact I don't particularly even care if we get sidetracked once in a while. That's kind of the point of doing this to move these kinds of discussions away from the tier list thread since apparently it was getting some peoples's panties all knotted up.

That's the discussion portion of it though. The list of review links is MY project, which of course some others have been pitching in on and I greatly appreciate that and let me just say thank you to those of you who have been helping out with that part. The WHAT and HOW of it though, are not actually up for group discussion. I'm doing it a certain way, because I CHOOSE to do it that way, and anybody who doesn't agree or doesn't like it can, as they have always been free to do, go make their own or simply pretend like it's not here. Nobody is twisting anybody's arms to pay heed to this thread.

If you find it useful, wish to discuss things or ultimately decide that for some user in a thread wanting recommendations on a few good units, you feel like sending them here to take a look is simpler than having to hold their hand and help pick a unit for them, then that's all to the good. Otherwise, I guess there is really nothing keeping anybody from just going about their business.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Okay, so you want this list to only include "good" PSUs. Tell me, what defines a "good" power supply? For old iGPU prebuilt systems looking for a PSU replacement, even a Corsair VS may reasonable choice depending on prices. For a modern gaming system including a GTX 1080ti + 8700k for example, I wouldn't or recommend settling for anything much less than a Corsair TXM.

Also this may mislead some people to believe a CSM is just as good/reliable/performing/durable/safe to use as a Corsair AX1600i.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Well, there are never any easy answers when it comes to hand holding, so I didn't expect this to be any different. I imagine the answer to that question will work itself out as time goes on. Perhaps I WILL have to use some kind of differentiator as to what a specific unit is good FOR, but I'm not going to worry about that at this early stage. It's a good point though. Thinking on that it occured to use a "good" vs "better" differentiator or something like that, but then it occured just as quickly that that would immediately take it right back to a tiered configuration, just, with only two tiers and leaving out all the crap units.

Perhaps I might have to simply use special characters next to the review in place of the list bullet to specify units that are "just good" for average systems and those that are "good for gaming or high demand systems". That might be enough to avoid being a form of tier list while still providing a sense of what is potentially better for a specific type of system. Again, not going to worry about that at this early stage though.

To be honest, I may not even include units that are not capable of at least supporting a GTX 1050 or higher, thus cutting out any chance of somebody trying to use a unit that is only good enough for a system with integrated graphics trying to use one for a higher end system. We don't care if you go overkill nearly as much as we do about somebody trying to use a low end unit with a discreet card system, so I think selection is likely to be the key along with ensuring users have accurate knowledge of the actual capacities they should be looking at based on system demand, de-rating, performance at a given thermal range and concerns with longevity in any given unit, all of which are likely to be addressed either IN the linked reviews or through specific conversations in thread posts here/elsewhere.

I haven't all the answers, and probably almost definitely never will, but neither does anybody else or if they do I haven't seen it yet, so we'll just see what happens. Even an imperfect apple can still taste good if you avoid the brown spots.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Damn, I wish there was a way to get two rows of review listings instead of just one. I've tried all the columns bbcode I could find and it seems that none of them are implemented in TH bbcode implementation. Anybody got any ideas how to do that here? I even tried just spacing things out to where I could textually create a second row, but that won't work.

Looks all messed up based on resolution and if you only have the tab partially windowed it completely barfs the whole alignment to hell. Sigh. I just wish that Tom's would either move on to the future forum software they are planning to do or at least do a full implementation of the most common bbcode tags used on virtually every other forum except ours.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
If it ends up being 20 miles long, so be it. It might not be aesthetically pleasing, but functionally... Functionally, It only takes me a second to grab the slider bar and move from the first post to the last on the page. That can be fixed in the future. It will be O.K. :D

Darkbreeze

Titan
Yep, that's pretty much the conclusion that I came to as well. I'd like to be able to halve the length of those entries, but if I can't, I can't. Simple as that.

I suppose I could toss it in a spoiler, but I think container code like that in a spoiler might disinherit it from consideration when it comes to Google SEO, in which case it loses it's value to Tom's as somewhat beneficial content. Not sure if that actually affects it or not but it seems I've read something to that effect before.

Plus, I think we might be surprised by how many people would not know that you need to click the box to access the content. Seriously.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald
Here are a plethora of additional reviews about Seasonic units that aren't present in your personal PSU review database:

S12II-series
Seasonic SS-520GB @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185

M12II EVO-series
Seasonic SS-850AM2 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=356
Seasonic SS-850AM2 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-m12-ii-bronze-evo-edition-850w-psu-review

S12G-series
Seasonic SSR-450RT @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-s12g-450-power-supply-review

Seasonic SSR-550RT @ HardOCP: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/18/seasonic_s12gseries_s12g550_power_supply_review/

Seasonic SSR-650RT @ AnandTech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7761/seasonic-s12g-650w-power-supply-review

Seasonic SSR-750RT @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-S12G-Series-750W-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SSR-750RT @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-s12g-750-power-supply-review

G-series
Seasonic SSR-360GP @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=313
Seasonic SSR-360GP @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-G-Series-360W-Power-Supply-Review

X-series
Seasonic SS-650KM3 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=332
Seasonic SS-650KM3 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-x-series-650w-km3-power-supply-review

Seasonic SS-750KM3 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Gold-Series-X-750-Power-Supply-Review

Seasonic SS-850KM3 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-x-series-850w-km3-power-supply-review

Seasonic SS-1050XM2 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=401
Seasonic SS-1050XM2 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-x-series-1050w-power-supply-ss-1050xm2

Seasonic SS-1250XM2 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-X-Series-XM2-1250-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SS-1250XM2 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-x-series-1250w-power-supply-ss-1250xm2

Platinum series
Seasonic SSR-400FL2 (fanless) @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=334

Seasonic SSR-460FL2 (fanless) @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Platinum-Series-Fanless-460W-Power-Supply-Review

Seasonic SSR-520FL2 (fanless) @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-platinum-fanless-520w-power-supply-review

Seasonic SS-660XP2 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=326
Seasonic SS-660XP2 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Platinum-Series-660W-Power-Supply-Review

Seasonic SS-760XP2 @ Hardware.Info: https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5011/seasonic-platinum-series-v2-660w760w860w-review-extremely-efficient

Seasonic SS-860XP2 @ Hardware.Info: https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5011/seasonic-platinum-series-v2-660w760w860w-review-extremely-efficient

Seasonic SS-1000XP @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=264
Seasonic SS-1000XP @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Platinum-80-Plus-1000W-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SS-1000XP @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-platinum-1000w-modular-power-supply-review

Seasonic SS-1050XP3 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Platinum-Series-1050W-1200W-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SS-1050XP3 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-platinum-1050wxp3-psu-review

Seasonic SS-1200XP3 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=385
Seasonic SS-1200XP3 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Platinum-Series-1050W-1200W-Power-Supply-Review

Snow Silent
Seasonic SS-750XP2 @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-Snow-Silent-750W-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SS-750XP2 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-snow-silent-750w-psu-review

Seasonic SS-1050XP3 @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=409
Seasonic SS-1050XP3 @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-snow-silent-1050w-psu-review-xp3

Focus+ Gold
Seasonic SSR-650FX @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-FOCUS-PLUS-Gold-FX-650W-PSU-Review

PRIME Gold
Seasonic SSR-850GD @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-850w-gold-psu-review

Seasonic SSR-1200GD @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-PRIME-1200W-Gold-Power-Supply-Review

PRIME Platinum
Seasonic SSR-650PD @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=514
Seasonic SSR-650PD @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-650w-platinum-psu-review

Seasonic SSR-1000PD @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=519
Seasonic SSR-1000PD @ PCPerspective: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-PRIME-1000W-Platinum-Power-Supply-Review
Seasonic SSR-1000PD @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-1000w-platinum-psu-review

Seasonic SSR-1200PD @ JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=511
Seasonic SSR-1200PD @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-1200w-platinum-psu-review

PRIME Titanium
Seasonic SSR-600TL (fanless) @ KitGuru: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-titanium-fanless-600w-psu-review

PRIME Ultra Titanium
Seasonic SSR-850TR @ KitGuru: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-PRIME-Ultra-850W-Titanium-Power-Supply

Darkbreeze

Titan
Well, thanks for that. I guess the snarky "personal" can be overlooked, but let's not push it shall we? Just because we have some differences of opinion is no reason to start in with that stuff. I'll try to get to adding them later today. FWIW, I'm working along at adding things in but it's a slow process as I've been sick AND have other things to do aside from simply sitting here doing nothing more than adding models all day. I will certainly look those over and put those in with the rest as I can though.

Onus

Titan
I think this thread will be useful. The tier lists are fine for "My PC has "these parts," and is used for [office|gaming|content creation|whatever]; what PSUs will work for me?" It won't give the best suggestion, but it will not fail to give good suggestions. Then, if they want to know Why? they can come here.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Yes, I agree. I can't help but feel like there is never "too much" information available to those looking for it. There is only ever "good" and "bad" information, and so long as you are leaning towards the "good" side of it, it is going to be of use and helpful to somebody. More options/information is almost always better. Lack of/not enough is almost always bad or at least frustrating.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Ok, so you can call this a retraction, or an olive branch, or simply recognizing the truth for what it is (Although it still does not convince me of the quality or value of the CXm550w unit since there are still no actual real world reviews of that unit) but I'm here to say that I see and agree with the fact that the PSU reviews at Hardware insights is probably tragically flawed. After checking about four other models reviewed there and comparing those same models to reviews from other well respected reviewers, I found that NONE of the reviews there I looked at gave even a passing grade to units we KNOW are good and that other reviews show wildly different results of.

So, Hardware insights is off the "nice" list and on to the "naughty" one. Not that I had bothered looking at them for anything other than that one review previously anyhow, but that's enough for me to be convinced that the testimony against that particular site is fairly convincing. Something is seriously wrong with how they are doing things there.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS