Discussion Power supply / PSU models - What to buy, what to avoid - And PSU discussion thread

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
So long as the PSU in question has the other protections that it should have, OCP itself and the fact that it is not specifically there to "protect your equipment" is almost irrelevant. So long as OPP, SCP and UVP are ALL present and working correctly, it almost doesn't matter what OCP or OTP do, but it's still obviously nice to have those things present anyhow.
Thank you for the refresh , I am always appreciative of using correct terminologies

I understand that the importance of OCP in single rail is diminished by other protection systems , but I think OCP at multirails when set to something like 40A would be the best candidate for preventing or limiting the consequences of something like this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/okay-so-i-fried-one-of-my-sata-power-cables-for-my-corsair-hx750-psu-which-cables-are-compatible.3551545/

Last edited:

Darkbreeze

Titan
Possibly. It's a good idea for any quality unit to have ALL of those protections, and they should these days. If they don't, you have to weigh options and probabilities. Sometimes you have to leave something out to get something you need, if the budget or circumstances dictate it. Other times, people are just cheap af.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
I really want reviews of that PSU and have been since it came out.

It looks good on paper.

DC-DC (it might only be partial from what i see)
80+ gold
5 year warranty
Jap main caps
Plenty of protections

I just have a hunch its based on an older platform for some reason.

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
I think I remembered someone saying that, at the time, it was for a Asia market which is probably why we haven't seen too many reviews and was similar to the GQ as far as quality. Not really a fan of the GQ however it should be plenty for the build and with pricing being fairly high for PSU's it's quite good.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
I think the Corsair CX550 both the cwt and greatwall vesion was a little better in ripple suppresion than the GQ but i maybe mistaken , anyway both of them are simiraly priced to the GD and have reliable reviews

Darkbreeze

Titan
Considering the fact that EVGA's unreviewed units like the N1, W1 and B1 have historically all been fairly bad, regardless of whether any budget EVGA model actually IS bad or not, I'd avoid it on general principle alone because without a reliable review to say that it's NOT a firebomb like the B3 units or something that's likely to be fairly short lived like the N1 and W1 models when used with more than integrated graphics, it's a very risky proposition.

Reactions: WildCard999

Darkbreeze

Titan
I really like EVGA as a company, but even I have to admit that they are being intentionally obtuse when it comes to understanding that this kind of saturation of a specific segment of the market is not beneficial to them OR to others in the industry. I'd bet that at some level of management there is somebody who believes that if you put enough products on the market you will sell more by the mere fact that you've increased the number of choices of YOUR product, versus your competititors. Unfortunately, in the real world, all that does is confuse people and piss them off because you are trying to obfuscate their options.

Aeacus

Illustrious
Herald
I do hope well known brands dont do the same
Yeah, shrek. I remember that. No major brand name would pull that, at least not outright, or they'd get tarred and feathered right out of the market. Word of mouth is a serious killer in this industry.
Actually, one, very well known brand has done this several times and they are still in business. Of course not with PSUs but with MoBos and that brand is Gigabyte.

Gigabyte is notorious with their MoBo revisions and on many instances the next revision of same MoBo is worse than the previous version.
Few links:
Hardwareinfo (had to use WBM since original page is gone): https://web.archive.org/web/20150718220500/https://us.hardware.info/reviews/5835/spot-the-differences-gigabyte-motherboard-revisions-present-markedly-different-test-results
Guru3D: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-pushing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far,3.html
HardwareBBQ: https://www.hardwarebbq.com/differences-in-gigabyte-motherboards-revisions-raise-serious-questions/#ert_pane1-1

As far as i know, Gigabyte is the only (MoBo) manufacturer who's product revisions aren't upgrades but downgrades. And by the time user buys the MoBo, they get the downgraded version which is shadow of former self.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Yeah, obviously, or at least it should have been, I was talking about power supplies, not other hardware. They do this crap with other hardware all the time, especially motherboards. And ALL of them are guilty of revisions that are worse than the originals at some time or another.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Oh, I think it's full fledged fraud. Maybe a different KIND of fraud, but still fraud. When you say you are selling somebody a thing and then give them a different thing, whether obviously or sneakily, it is the same thing, deception and fraud. Just two different ways of perpetrating the fraud.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
Oh, I think it's full fledged fraud. Maybe a different KIND of fraud, but still fraud. When you say you are selling somebody a thing and then give them a different thing, whether obviously or sneakily, it is the same thing, deception and fraud. Just two different ways of perpetrating the fraud.
I would agree. I couldn't see a brand like Samsung doing this with ssds or a brand like SeaSonic with PSUs

Darkbreeze

Titan
Just another reason why I have never been a fan of Adata. They are a cheapo, scandalous, fly by night type outfit if you ask me. I have never purchased any Adata product, and despite the fact that Tom's hardware tries very hard to force their recommendations for Adata storage devices down our throats, I never will. I trust them even less than Team, but maybe just a little more than OLoY, whom I also would never buy anything from.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
Just another reason why I have never been a fan of Adata. They are a cheapo, scandalous, fly by night type outfit if you ask me. I have never purchased any Adata product, and despite the fact that Tom's hardware tries very hard to force their recommendations for Adata storage devices down our throats, I never will. I trust them even less than Team, but maybe just a little more than OLoY, whom I also would never buy anything from.
And personally i doubt i will be buying any Kingston products for myself either. My A400 was a gift to begin with.

I am still waiting on a warranty replacement for my Kingston A400 to arrive.

The drive died on Thanksgiving when it was less than a year old and kingston was closed on black friday so it took awhile till they responded to my rma request. The rest of the process was slow and involved me paying shipping to send the SSD to them. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of kingston anymore.

As least they didn't flag me for the broken warranty sticker.

Meanwhile my brothers ancient system has a small Crucial BX200 drive. No problems whatsoever, even though its a budget crucial model tyat is 4 times as old as my a400. Then there is 2 intel 660ps and an MX500 in the laptops around the house. Have not had issues with any.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
I thought on first read they downgraded thier order automatically didnt know that they charged them the same price as well

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS