Discussion Power supply / PSU models - What to buy, what to avoid - And PSU discussion thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Is anyone familiar with the EVGA SuperNova 850 G3?

In the introduction to this thread, the G3 is said to be a good EVGA model. I was reading the reviews and the EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 is 5 eggs with very few negative reviews. The few negative reviews suggest that the fan is loud, but EVGA responded that they must have gotten a faulty unit. The positive reviews say the unit is quiet.

1. Would it be a decent PSU for a new build? I looked at Seasonic, but they are out of stock on newegg.

2. Will it's "Compact 150mm Size" fit properly into my Case?

Darkbreeze

Titan
That PSU is fine. Yes, it will fit your case. Are you sure you NEED an 850w unit? What graphics card and CPU are you running? If you start a thread and post a link to it here I'd be happy to help you make certain you get not only a good unit, but the right unit.

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
That PSU is fine. Yes, it will fit your case. Are you sure you NEED an 850w unit? What graphics card and CPU are you running? If you start a thread and post a link to it here I'd be happy to help you make certain you get not only a good unit, but the right unit.
I'm not sure actually. You and I were talking in another thread about adding a GPU to my PC. At the end you were mentioning I might want to try to save up for a couple months and upgrade my platform. I plan on repairing my Dads computer with my 5 year old PSU, then upgrading to whichever PSU you think I should put in for a future platform upgrade. I started a thread earlier here about which PSU I should get. I appreciate your help.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
Why you shouldn't use 4pin molex to (6+2)8 pin pcie connectors , specially if they are well made
This is a great example of a person that bought a quality adaptor that took the beating , but sadly the single 12v pin in the back of that psu couldn't , because its not made for a sustained load greater than 8A , Ironically he might have been better off buying a crappy adapter that would melt before the pin in the psu

Darkbreeze

Titan
Why would anybody convert PCI to Molex? Systems already come with plenty of molex connectors, and there are very few things that use them anymore so I really doubt they could have USED them all up to the point where they needed to do that.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
@Darkbreeze he used 4pin molex to pcie , it was probably for a mining rig , because I don’t see any other case that a person found himself out of the already available 6 x 8pin pcie connectors that come with an rmi 850w

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Ok, I see. That model uses the six pin SATA sockets for the Molex cables. A lot of them do that. Some actually have four pin molex sockets on the PSU to plug the molex cables into as well.
And therein lies the problem.
No standard across models.

"eh...just plug it in. If it doesn't fit, I must be putting it in wrong".

Darkbreeze

Titan
Bottom line is, ALWAYS, if power supply is capable of "a thing", it will come with the necessary sockets and cables to power "a thing". If it doesn't, don't do it. If you do it anyhow, screw you, you deserved it.

Reactions: Mezoxin
Dec 25, 2019
Hey guys, can anyone confirm if the Micronics Performance II PV 600w 80+ Bronze is a good PSU? Buddy offered me one on the cheap.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
Dec 25, 2019
Yea i had the same idea, just wanted to check here. The Caslon is a more low end PSU from the brand though. I’ll currently powering my Ryzen 5 1400, MSI b350 Gaming Plus and 2x4gb Patriot Viper with a EVGA 450BQ which is fine for me, just thought I’d upgrade it now since the opportunity arose.

Darkbreeze

Titan
He didn't say BT, he said BQ. There is no 450w BQ. There is a 450w BT, BR, BV, B1, GM and B3 but there is no 450w BQ.

Those other models you mentioned are probably not "upgrades" from anything sold by EVGA, even considering the low quality of some of the lower end EVGA units. I'd avoid those brands with no information and probable low quality.

More "watts" printed on the label doesn't always mean a better unit.

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
how many models does EVGA need , how are they even making profit with these annoyingly wide range of models , even seasonic that only sells psu's don't have that many models

Mezoxin

Upstanding
Nov 3, 2019
I have noticed something interesting said by one Silverstone representatives here
View: https://youtu.be/niQWX1nQtW0?t=73

he says that anything above 500w is exempt from the tariffs !!! and that's why they are releasing 500w+ psu's in the us market , which does not explain why the prices of PSU's in the us market has increased significantly after the "Trump Tariffs" although they are 500w + variants

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They change models for different things. The BT as reviewed didn't have a berg, the BR prolly does. Or different protective circuits. Or different plugs, or markets. Or even platforms or place of manufacture.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Yes, different markets mostly. The seven models available in Asia, for EVGA, are usually probably not the same seven models available in the US, which might also be different, or be some combination of the two, that are available in the upper EU. And then if a model becomes popular in a given region, they might expand that model to another region and throw a different power cable in the box.

As far as the tariffs go, I'd have to see CONCRETE proof of that being true, to believe it, because I assure you that across the board, including units that are 650, 750, 850w, the prices of ALL power supplies have gone up. 550w units are more expensive, by a considerable margin (Can't be accounted for by normal inflation) than they were a year ago. I don't believe that is true as stated by the Silverstone rep. At all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right now, the only person I know of who posts regularly here, and whose word is pretty much gospel, and whom absolutely would be in a position to know that answer if anyone could be, as it affects the company he works for directly, would be Jon Gerow. Other that that, barring written concrete proof, it's all supposition and best guesses.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS