Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The only place in this town which sold PSUs was a Trade Counter which stocked only the Corsairs CX range. If I needed a quick replacement unit I had to go there and a CX600 would cost me £30 GBP. I don't remember a CS range and I've being buying those CX units far back than 2013.

I am growing increasingly unhappy at AMD drivers. Neither My R9 290 nor my RX480 will display output after the driver installs, so I'm stuck with a pitiful HD5670 with drivers from 5 years ago for the time being.

I am likely going to spend some money on a GPU in the near future. I wanted to buy a 5700xt nitro but the driver issues and the price have driven me away.

I have noticed I can find used 1070tis for under $250. That's like an RTX2070 for half off.

I already have a Corsair CX550M Bronze from mid-2018. Do you think it would be enough for a 1070ti? I just have a decently efficient R5 2600 for CPU.

4745454b

Titan
Why is it a driver issue and not a dead card issue? I could see it being a driver issue if the newest one fail while older ones work. That's a driver issue. Working until the driver loads then failure is a bad/dead card issue.

The 1070s are 170-200W cards depending on model. The 2600 is a 95W CPU? Or is it 65W. Either way your gaming load is probably around 300W. Your 550W while nothing special should be able to handle it.

Because all 3 of my amd cards worked yesterday. Now none today.

The hd5670 will work if you disconnect internet and manually install drivers but it crashes If you let windows install drivers.

Good to know my psu will handle it.

4745454b

Titan
From your link DB.

At this point it’s no secret AMD is struggling to iron out some driver related issues with their Radeon RX 5000 GPUs]. Typically we like to give both AMD and Nvidia a few months to iron out bugs when releasing a new GPU series, especially when they're based on a new or mostly new architecture, as was the case with Turing and Navi.

He's not using one of those. He's complaining about his R9 290 and RX480 having bad drivers. I believe his second post about it a bit more, but it seems rather odd to me.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
From your link DB.

He's not using one of those. He's complaining about his R9 290 and RX480 having bad drivers. I believe his second post about it a bit more, but it seems rather odd to me.
When drivers are creating problems with one card or with a whole series, you can bet they are causing problems elsewhere as well and are just not getting the same attention because they are not the "current gen" series or family.

But my point was more towards advising that he might want to focus on an Nvidia card rather than an AMD card, because as you yourself pointed out, there are problems with the latest family of AMD cards and not all of the problems are strictly driver related. There are problems with coolers, and other issues as well. A number of which are outlined in that article. You can't just take one sentence from an article and pretend like the rest of the article doesn't exist.

They specifically outline the fact that AMD has historically had issues with drivers. And we know this to be true because there have been whole threads of MANY pages related to the CCC problems in the past AND we had clear and incontrovertible proof that there were serious problems with the Vega 56 and 64 cards spiking way past the outlined power usage. Then we had a bunch of batches of RX 580's last year that just started mysteriously dying, and then suddenly disappeared and now these issues with black screens and other unacceptable problems with the Navi cards.

In that article however, they specifically state that in their poll showing much higher numbers of people having problem with AMD cards than with Nvidia, they did not specifically target Navi.

Personally, I never had problems with my R9 280 or R9 290x, aside from some driver issues and problems with a lack of functionality in Catalyst control panel, but once they ditched CCC and moved on to the Crimson drivers model, those problems went away and those cards are still functioning fine the last I knew, many years later. But I've never had similar driver issues with any of my Nvidia cards, including my current 2060 Super.

This is getting a little off-topic, but even my HD5670 has had driver issues running 2015 drivers.

The mouse cursor randomly turns into a dashed line instead of an arrow. It can only be solved by a restart or shaking the mouse violently. Apparently, this is an AMD specific issue. How does AMD screw up the mouse cursor?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-cursor-turning-into-verical-dashed-lines.2887974/

I used to have a GTX1050 and it had pretty mediocre performance but it didn't draw much power or output much heat. I would happily go back to NVIDIA if I can find a good card value-wise, which I think I have with the used 1070 and 1070tis I see on eBay.

The RX480 really was a good upgrade since it only cost me $10 after I sold the 1050 and i netted close to double the performance and 6gb more VRAM. But now the driver issues have shown up I'm getting a little unhappy with it. Even though this was a gorgeous Sapphire NITRO+ card, the card also ran sorta loud and in the high 70s even after a repaste.

My MSI gaming 970 never ran hot nor loud and offered similar performance, even though they are the same age ish. Plus the 970 never had driver issues. Why did I sell that again? I only paid $65 for it...

But anyhow, If this issue doesn't resolve this 480 will be getting shoved on eBay.

When I tested this R9 290 a week ago after buying it on FB marketplace I thought it was dying since it black screened after the driver installed. But now that all of my AMD cards do it, I'm not sure if the card works or how to test it. I may just sell it as untested on eBay.

Nope, it was only the AMD cards, the 960 worked. The AMD Cards did the same thing in 2 different PCs.

I talked to my uncle who is an IT person, and we fixed it. He gave me the idea to just hook it up to a TV, something I somehow overlooked.

I hooked my PC up to the TV and found it worked. I then hooked it back up to my monitor and it worked now.

What I think was happening was the not so great AMD drivers got the absolutely brilliant idea to send an incorrect res image to my monitor and my monitor had no clue what to do. Plugging the PC into a lower resolution TV caused the PC to change the res and then it fixed itself.

Feb 29, 2020
Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W Power Supply or Corsair AX1600i

helo because i am planing to build one ultra gaming computer with custom watercooling
i am between these 2 psus

Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W Power Supply
https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=66&lang=en

Corsair AX1600i https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...upply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020087-EU

my question is which from these 2 is the best? psu?
i have heard that the superflower is the leader for all all the companies with psu is it true??

from these 2 which is better? in everything?

• Monstrous capacity
  • Digital platform
  • Perfect voltage regulation
  • Most efficient PSU at the moment
  • Awesome ripple suppression
  • Long hold-up time
  • Accurate power-ok time
  • Low inrush current
  • Cutting-edge design and platform of excellent build quality
  • Lots of cables and connectors
  • Long ATX-, EPS-, and PCIe cables
  • Silent operation
  • Software that allows for control and monitoring
  • Fully modular???
Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W Power Supply or Corsair AX1600i ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 29, 2020
some people say that The AX1600i performs has slightly lower ripple, slightly better transient response, slightly better regulation, lower fan speeds at the same load (and with a quieter FDB fan instead of double ball-bearing), a longer hold-up time, and more peripheral connectors. The Leadex has more PCIe connectors.

which are the positives and the negatives for these 2 psus?

Corsairs AXI is basically some of the best of the best. They just are. Look at any review and you can confirm.

SuperFlower is also a very good brand, plus i couldn't imagine they would make anything but a supurb titanium unit

Personally I have had good luck with Corsair and they always have been helpful when I have called them.

I don't know about superflower. They have very good products and OEM their own PSUs, but I haven't heard much about support or anything.

Feb 29, 2020
some people say that Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W Power Supply is better from Corsair AX1600i

i am very confused i dont know which to buy from these 2.

also some people say that superflower is the leader in psus for all the companies./

Feb 29, 2020
ome people say that The AX1600i performs has slightly lower ripple, slightly better transient response, slightly better regulation, lower fan speeds at the same load (and with a quieter FDB fan instead of double ball-bearing), a longer hold-up time, and more peripheral connectors. The Leadex has more PCIe connectors.

do you agree or disagree??

Superflower makes good stuff, but I wouldn't call them a leader. They have far too limited selection and availability.

Arguably SeaSonic is probably at the top. Dead reliable products. Good service (imo)

Don't overthink it. You can't go wrong with either.

Personally I would go with Corsair for their support that I know is good. I don't know about superflower