Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
blah, blah, blah
Sorry, I wasn't going to list that whole diatribe here, but suffice to say, as I told you before, everybody is welcome to their own opinion. Since you don't agree with mine, I don't know why you bother to even come here and post. I don't agree with yours, but I also don't go to your tier list or LTT for that matter, and crap all over your bedroom. I'd appreciate that you do the same. If you can't handle that, I assure you, I have no qualms being reciprocal if that is what it takes to get the point across to you like I tried to do by PM the last time you tried to engage me. Repeatedly. Despite asking you not to. So, now that there is no doubt as to where we stand, you are of course welcome to post here and on Tom's hardware in general, but if you insist on continuing the practice of attempting to incite this flame debate or a "yours vs mine" and crap all over MY bedroom, I'm going to take offense and will consider that I've already warned you about this behavior, nicely, twice now.

Hopefully we can just leave it at that. Again, you are welcome anytime to participate in discussions and offer your opinion about specific or general power supply models or platforms, but anything that relates to a "my tier list" or "your recommendations" type post is going to instantly be met with fire from this point forward. Consider this your second official warning on the matter. End of story.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Again, you are welcome anytime to participate in discussions and offer your opinion about specific or general power supply models or platforms, but anything that relates to a "my tier list" or "your recommendations" type post is going to instantly be met with fire from this point forward. Consider this your second official warning on the matter. End of story.
so if i understand it right: you can offend me, silence me and everyone else when they have a relevant reason (the guy literally asked if there are any lists like this out there). I noted things around CV, m12ii, s12ii, s12iii, CX, CXM amonst others. I'm not here to crap all over your bedroom, I'm here to discuss like any other and give some opinions on where you could change your list to my personal research, and am happy to link sources to it. and you can silence me for that again, warn me for it, ban me for it. but that won't help you in a positive way.

and the funniest thing is that there are 3 people from the list walking around here, yet you target me with hate when I come with a suggestion. how you talk about me, people from JG and others are outright disrespectful and you expect me to be nice.

do you get why I'm here now? I'm trying to help change by providing info around things there seem to be some confusion around, not crap all over this list, not hate on Seasonic, loving RSY or whatever. But you seem too much in your own bubble to understand.

I still don't get it.
seen some cases [of failure], but I'll be honest and say that most of them were due to user error, by for example using the wrong cables.
Though wider spread cases with group regulation and higher power components are hard to show outside of tests that have happened, since many can't see the lifespan difference. the main theoratical problem I have with s12ii is in the case of a voltage drop like you saw here earlier with the w1 and masterwatt lite, is that there is no 12v UVP to catch it.
Despite it being group regulated and lacking uvp, you even said you rarely see failures. I have never seen one. My personal M12ii i used to own honestly worked rock solid for the short time i owned it.

IMO, if something in theory can have issues but yet these issues very rarily occur with any reasonable circumstance, its not a big deal.

Judging something on a "but sometimes" rule is unfair. Here is a metaphor.

Autonomous driving features save lives, but sometimes when the driver is not paying attention as they should, the car may crash.
In the same respect, the SeaSonic S12ii/M12ii is decent, but very rarely when an owner is not pairing responsible hardware with the PSU, the S12ii/M12ii may fail.

I would also use this metaphor to argue your placement of the EVGA G3 or SeaSonic FOCUS units, but i wont rn.

The CXM green often fail, and sometimes even in systems without any form of dedicated graphics!

So I still find the M12ii and CXM placement incorrect.

The more you explain, I do respect the work that went into the list. However, the list is derived from a group of people's conclusions from tests. I have a different opinion, one that believes some of your conclusions are inaccurate. Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion, after all.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
IMO, if something in theory can have issues but yet these issues very rarily occur with any reasonable system, its not a big deal.
that, exactly that. I would have no problem with people that already have owned an S12ii for a couple years to use it in their old Broadwell system or something, as long as they understand the risk of it eventually failing and possibly not catching up to it fast enough due to this lack. problem is that the are currently better options than it around like the modern CXM, system power 9, performance A+, s12iii and many others that it got irrelevant to buy today in my eyes. we work on two different types of sources, making the placing of us both uncomparable, which is fair.

I respect how you've brought it, and that you were willing to explain why you think s12ii is better than the older CX/CXM models, but due to how I work I can't agree with you. as i said earlier, people also judge this way around masterwatt lite for example, which the s12ii also could do. that was honestly the most i wanted to show, actual failure rates i simply don't have numbers on

In many ways i would agree.

With current availabilty and new pricing in the US, the m12ii/s12ii dont make sense.

However in forign markets and even used prices in the us, sometimes they may make more sense.

My M12ii 520 was $27 on ebay and then i got $10 back for missing modular bits. Cant argue for $17

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
However in forign markets and even used prices in the us, sometimes they may make more sense.
thing is that most of the production has stopped for both, so they're getting harder to find

and I've actually seen pretty good foreign companies having good prices there. for example in some countries you can find SAMA based units very cheap

but i think we're getting beyond the point here

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
I'm here to discuss like any other and give some opinions on where you could change your list to my personal research

This is exactly what I am NOT interested in. I have no interest in YOUR personal research, or your recommendations regarding what YOU think should be on the first page of this thread.

I'll clarify this further with you by PM.

Last edited:

-The_Mask-

Reputable
May 14, 2016

This thread is marked as a discussion and because the first post was 49 pages back in time, it is irrelevant by now
Well the last update was less then a month ago. I'm also sure that not many people will know that the first post is irrelevant. I think that most people will take it seriously.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...wn-and-versions-confusion&p=162532#post162532

Just an update on the EVGA GD600w 80+ Gold.

@What a shame was on the right track.

According to the people over at jonnyguru, the PSU appears to be based on the "Andyson PAD07" platform, which makes this unit remarkably similar to an Antec Neo Eco Zen or a Silverstone ET700-MG.

On the inside, they look the same. The Antec and the EVGA both use the same power year fan as well.

When I asked if it was decent I was told it is "more than decent"

So the EVGA GD600 looks to be a pretty solid unit.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
@What a shame was on the right track.

I should probably have made it clear that i am also Juular on JG (and LTT) forums, so there were no new piece of information :) You probably need to wait for confirmation from JG or OrionFOTL, he's a freaking living database on PSU platforms (looks like he got a lot of connections in the industry) but i were referring to his conclusion on the platform of Silverstone SFX \ Antec NE Zen and this one looks very similiar so, i'm probably right anyway. And it looks like The Mask (which is here too) agrees too. Either way, 'more than decent' is relative, more than most of EVGA recent stuff ? Yeah, sure. More than G2 ? Eh, i don't think so but we will see when a couple of good reviews on this platform will come out. And the fact that there are at least three or four significantly different versions of EVGA GD doesn't help.

I should probably have made it clear that i am also Juular on JG (and LTT) forums, so there were no new piece of information :) You probably need to wait for confirmation from JG or OrionFOTL, he's a freaking living database on PSU platforms (looks like he got a lot of connections in the industry) but i were referring to his conclusion on the platform of Silverstone SFX \ Antec NE Zen and this one looks very similiar so, i'm probably right anyway. And it looks like The Mask (which is here too) agrees too. Either way, 'more than decent' is relative, more than most of EVGA recent stuff ? Yeah, sure. More than G2 ? Eh, i don't think so but we will see when a couple of good reviews on this platform will come out.
Idk if there is a facepalm emoji, but i need to use one rn.

Im sure it isnt great, but its priced very well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Oh, don't bother, he made it pretty clear in previous post that no third party opinions are welcome. This is echo chamber.

That is not true. He made it clear that Luke's opinion is not welcome. What is not seen here is the offline conversation that they had regarding this. He is updating the first post, with information that is relevant.

I don't know what your (by your I mean you LTT guys who built/support your tier list) obsession is with spreading the gospel of the LTT tier list across the internet is. You guys act like cultists trying to push this upon everyone. And if anyone disagrees with you, you all seem to take it personally.

Your contributions to the discussion are welcome, but when it you all turn it around to "you're wrong and I'm right because tier list" you lose your credibility. Its been explained, ad nauseam in this thread that we don't agree with your methodology. No amount of screaming it from the rooftops is going to change our opinion. So you can continue to be combative for your cult here, you can discuss rationally, or you can leave. Its up to you.

Reactions: King_V
More than G2 ? Eh, i don't think so but we will see when a couple of good reviews on this platform will come out.

And this is the thing that makes ALL the rest of the conversation about it, conjecture and guesswork. Without the benefit of a reputable review, it really doesn't even matter if a unit uses the same "platform" as another model. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean the IMPLEMENTATION was done well, or that every (Or even most) of the features from that other unit were incorporated into this other unit. We have, for example, seen units using one platform that were very good examples of what a power supply should be and then other models using the same platform that were nothing similar in terms of performance in reviews.

If there is no reputable review, then a unit is simply a big, fat, question mark. Even if you know the platform and know that there are other units based on that platform that ARE good.

Reactions: King_V
That is not true. He made it clear that Luke's opinion is not welcome. What is not seen here is the offline conversation that they had regarding this. He is updating the first post, with information that is relevant.

I don't know what your (by your I mean you LTT guys who built/support your tier list) obsession is with spreading the gospel of the LTT tier list across the internet is. You guys act like cultists trying to push this upon everyone. And if anyone disagrees with you, you all seem to take it personally.

Your contributions to the discussion are welcome, but when it you all turn it around to "you're wrong and I'm right because tier list" you lose your credibility. Its been explained, ad nauseam in this thread that we don't agree with your methodology. No amount of screaming it from the rooftops is going to change our opinion. So you can continue to be combative for your cult here, you can discuss rationally, or you can leave. Its up to you.
This, exactly, and for what it's worth I'm making this public as well, if you ARE part of that tier list over on LTT, then it's probably a good idea that you just shove off unless you are able to understand that THERE is THERE and HERE is HERE and the two things don't NEED to be aligned, in any way, at all. Because they are not ever going to be and that's something that Luke couldn't understand or agree with despite asking him politely and amicably, many times in private, to do just that.

Some people just don't understand that their way isn't necessary the only OR the right way, and that other ways are just as viable. Anybody who can't understand that, should probably just go back to where they came from and then everybody will be happy.

So yesterday i bought a brand new MSI Mech OC RX5700 8gb for around $300. It will be quite an upgrade from the 4-year-old RX480.

I am very excited, however, I'm a little worried my Corsair CX550M will not be quite enough since AMD recommends 600w. I do have an EVGA 600w, but its a W1 model and i am not risking that.

Do you think i can get by with the CX550M?