Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Are you referring to the older or the newer revision of the Focus Plus series? Nothing wrong with running a power supply that is a few hundred watts over what you actually need.

I haven't seen any mention of the Focus Plus "blasting out of semi-passive mode". Where did you see that at?
both revisions share a similar fancurve. as an example i here have the 750w version (FX)
MKJDFKXD7oEw4dNcm8wesk-970-80.png

as you can see, on higher loads a focus tends to rapidly go up in RPM and with that noise. some users report motor noise with it as well, but I personally haven't really noticed it hugely.

compare this to RMx of thee same wattage
xZrz7tdPYiHVjn36SAzXAW-970-80.png

with that said, higher wattages cost more, and the person in question could save some money by getting a good 650w of similar quality

both revisions share a similar fancurve.

Where is your proof? Do you have a revised fan curve chart from the revised model, done by Aris, to compare with? If not, then any comparisons are largely meaningless because other reviewers are going to have different results from different equipment and methodologies. You might get a general sense though of changes to the fan profile if you have a source for a revised charting of the profile but I don't really see that anybody has DONE that.

Elfunia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
RMx would be better in almost every way but efficiency. It's more silent, as a focus tends to blast on when coming out of semi-passive mode. then again, you're likely heavily overestimating your wattage here, and would be totally fine with a 550-650w PSU unless you're currently going into hedt/multigpu setups
I just want to be future safe. Also have second 2080 super i try to sell but if won't sell i will have to use it. Also 850 - not full load. More queit. More work on zero rpm

@Darkbreeze cybenetics report of phanteks amp has something similar, these days Aris doesn't include more than average noise into his normal reviews
Phanteks amp is not Seasonic Focus Plus. You've been told before that using data from one model to represent another, not even from the same company, is borderline intentional misinformation and posting fraud. If you can't find information that DIRECTLY supports your statements, then it would be advisable to not make them in the first place. If you cannot provide two separate charts which have been done by a reputable professional reviewer, one for the earlier Focus Plus and one for the newer Focus Plus, then saying they are the same is an assumption and is not supported factually. I can say anything is anything but without facts, it's just my own dumb opinion.

Elfunia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
For what, exactly? There's little to no benefit running multi-gpu setups for gaming anymore.
There was offer at retailer 2080 super gigabite windforce oc card with 4 year warranty for 630 including tax. In other shops same card goes about 850. Could not resit take two. Was thinking to sell one with little margin or worst case scenario if no one buys will try sli/nvlink. Won't throw it away :)

Just hang onto it. Just because you can't sell it now doesn't mean you won't be able to after some of the cash hoarding going on during the current lock down atmosphere ends. If you haven't posted to our classifieds section, that might be a good thing to try as well. Guess it really depends on what country you are in.

Reactions: King_V

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Phanteks amp is not Seasonic Focus Plus. You've been told before that using data from one model to represent another, not even from the same company, is borderline intentional misinformation and posting fraud.
lol

you can do your own research as well, without relying on me and questioning every single step I take. Phanteks AMP is a stock GX, and it's visible. I don't need to feed you everything like a baby if there's internal shots in the review and pictures on Seasonic's website of the GX?

Phanteks amp is not Seasonic Focus Plus.
Aris would disagree.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-650w-power-supply-review
"As we already mentioned, all AMP models are based on Seasonic's newest Focus Plus platform."

Phanteks amp 650w insides (from the review above)
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/aCQ2h7jXeiEKNeRfqPQs9a-650-80.jpg
SeaSonic Focus Plus 650w insides (from this review)
https://cdn-0.pcper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/fe6b-17-inside.jpg

Now I'm no expert, but I do have eyes. Those look identical.

That being said, just because they are the same design does not mean the fan couldn't be tuned differently.

Reactions: LukeSavenije
I've already explained, and shown, that "based on" is not the same as "same thing". There are PLENTY of examples of power supplies that result in both good and bad implementations of the same "platform". Just because something is "based" on a platform, does NOT mean that the implementation is automatically done well. If a manufacturer asks Seasonic to build a model using a given platform, but with a few specific cut corners such as different fans, different modular boards, different capacitor selection or any of a few other changeable options then you can end up with mildly to wildly different units that are both "based on the same platform".

And for the record Luke, YOU are the one claiming something, and then again, as usual, not backing up with SPECIFIC evidence that shows it to be true. Why would "I" need to go find evidence to prove that what you are saying is wrong, when I honestly, and clearly this is not the first time it's been said, don't honestly care either way when it comes right down to it. But I'm willing to TRY and play along and keep an even keel, and so when you come in here and say a certain thing is the same as another certain thing, or that there are disparaging differences between two units but then can only offer empirical evidence that pertains to a previous revision of a unit, not the unit you are actually comparing it too, kind of makes you look like, once again, much of what you say is supposed to just be assumed to be true because you said it. That just isn't going to happen. I have no doubt you are well versed in this area by now, and congrats on that, but it doesn't mean you are on a higher plane of existence so maybe bring your reality back down to the realm of believability, and watch the unnecessary disparaging remarks.

You WILL get warned just like any other member. I'm really not even sure why you bother posting here.

Last edited:
Reactions: clarkjd
Whatever dude. You're just trying to be intentionally obtuse and annoying now. Seems we're back to where we were the last time you sent me a PM. I've got about one nerve left where you are concerned so you might want to tread lightly, and far away from me.

I've got my independent referee hat this morning. I lost twenty three brain cells just reading this discussion and I don't have too many of those to spare.

Luke, you can't win this one because it's gone too far so in future, please stick to the expertise you have and leave the arguing to the professionals and the Moderation Team comes across dozens of them in any working day.

It would be a shame to lose your contributions but we don't like arguments between posters.

Thanks in anticipation.

Reactions: Zoel.fahmi
The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided.
I think this may be a little confusing. It may be better to word it something like the below denoting the colors of the text vs background on the label.

The Corsair VS models with the letters "VS" in orange should be avoided
or
The Corsair CX models with the letters "CX" in green should be avoided.

Reactions: King_V

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Performs admirably in every test.
Frankly Zardon is not very reliable source for PSU reviews, there are quite a few reviews from Aris for Leadex III, with older ones performing with some issues (OCP & OPP set too high so voltages go out of spec in overload) but judging by a review of newer ARGB version these should be fixed in new batches.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
PSU fan failure IS covered under SeaSonics warranty.
There's a difference between fan failure (as in unexpected) and wear-out, i don't think they'll replace you the fan after 5 years down 7 years warranty for the PSU itself, it's a 50k hours fan, it would exceed it's supposed lifetime after 2 years of light usage (4 hours a day). And honestly i wouldn't even bother with that even if they do, like if you're buying a PSU with a fan that wouldn't live more than 3 years this should be very budget PSU for APU system, smth like that, where low price outweights low quality significantly. Personally, i wouldn't buy a PSU with sleeve bearing fan for even low-end gaming/workstation system. Lke what the heck, price difference even with rifle which has twice as higher life expectancy is a couple of dollars at most, what they're saving there ?

Last edited:
Any company that doesn't replace ANY part that fails prior to the warranty period, regardless of what part it is, so long as it is not due to deliberate or user error, would get destroyed in a matter of months. So no, I don't believe that if your fan failed at five years on a seven year or ten year warranty, they wouldn't replace it. I can assure you that if they didn't replace, they would find themselves at the front of a number of unfavorable articles on more than one tech rag.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Any company that doesn't replace ANY part that fails prior to the warranty period, regardless of what part it is, so long as it is not due to deliberate or user error, would get destroyed in a matter of months. So no, I don't believe that if your fan failed at five years on a seven year or ten year warranty, they wouldn't replace it. I can assure you that if they didn't replace, they would find themselves at the front of a number of unfavorable articles on more than one tech rag.

Especially the company that ships review units out of Newegg stock, they aren't going to screw you around on a $10 fan.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless my math is wrong:
4 hrs a day x 365 days in a year = 1460 hrs use per year.
50k / 1460 = 34.2 years that fan should last. I do believe it should outlast anybody's psu warranty period by a good margin.
it's a 50k hours fan, it would exceed it's supposed lifetime after 2 years of light usage (4 hours a day).

To put it simply, manufacturers kinda screwed themselves. They continually put 'Void if removed' stickers on psus. Therefore the psu is NOT meant to be opened for maintenance by anyone other than a factory authorized warranty repair shop. It's for all intents and purposes a sealed unit and if one part breaks inside the unit before the warranty expires, the whole unit is broken and therefore covered under warranty.

The issue is that lawyers don't work for free, and cost a whole lot more than the price of replacement, and shady tactics rely on the consumer just giving up before the fight even begins for a $5 replacement fan.

Last edited: