Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
550w is what is called for by spec for most of those units. We know that they spike though, although not as bad as the Vega models. I'd like to see a 650w unit, something of decent quality obviously, but you could probably get by with what you have now temporarily. If you notice any problems at all, especially in demanding situations, then you'll probably know why.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
With antec, what about the NE550M?
Low quality. No professional reviews. Very mediocre. Regardless of what country you are in, there are probably better options.
interesting you say that... considering this is a Seasonic Focus
S0T9BkP.jpg

Antec is not very creative. At the minimum the Earthwatts gold, HCG Gold (at least the old S12ii based ones), and apparently the Neo Eco M being Seasonic based. There are probably more SeaSonic based ones sold now that I am unaware of. Not that I am saying there is anything bad about using SeaSonic platforms, though we know your opinions about the s12ii.

The people on Johnny guru seem to have concluded that both the Antec Neo Eco Zen and the EVGA GD600 are based on the same Andyson platform, so at least that's one recentish Antec model that is not Seasonic based.

Last edited:
Besides which, "based" is not the same as "same". We've seen PLENTY of platforms in the past that have had both good AND bad models based off of them. Plenty. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to request models based on a successful platform, and then cut corners or insist on using less expensive components to build the unit while adhering to most of the platforms design, making a "platform X" based unit not anywhere near as good as the models that made the platform successful and achieved good reviews.

Not that that is the case in this case, because I'm fairly certain that they are not even remotely related anyhow.

Here is the inside of the NE550m. Looks nothing at all like the platform for the 550w Focus I see above.

DSCF4525-650x366.jpg

Last edited:
So as far as the CX550M and RX5700. Even after testing the 2, I'm not sure whether the CX550M can handle it.

I'd give it a hard maybe.

I first ran a little BeamNG and had no issues. Ran GTA and it ran great for a while, however then I got a hard shutdown. Black screen, no USB power. VGA light illuminated on board. Figured, ok, PSU isn't enough. However, at that point the card wasn't screwed in at all. I reseated the GPU+8pin and screwed the card in. I haven't had the issue reoccur, not even while running aida+MSI Kombustor simultaneously. Have played hours of GTA since, no issues.

I'm guessing the PSU is enough for the card+overclocked CPU under continuous load, but under the random spike it may not keep up. Even though it may not be a great idea, I think I'm not going to swap the PSU out until I get some money unless the issue gets common. PSU prices right now are out of control.

It seems like in GTA my Ryzen 5 2600 is holding me back, even with my 2x8gb ram overclocked to 3466mhz and the CPU clocked at 4.2ghz. With 1080p maxed settings I saw like 70% GPU usage and 80-90ish FPS. GPU didn't even get stressed remotely hard and was sitting at like 45c according to both MSI afterburner and HWmonitor. Setting the res scale to 150% made the GPU go to around 100% and the FPS was roughly the same maybe a little lower. Honestly, I have a 60hz panel, so I don't mind this.

The MSI RX5700 MECH is a cheap card, so I didn't have high expectations. Under stock operation, it runs fine and normal temperatures. It isn't too loud. Under torture with both Aida and MS Kombuster loading the GPU, it gets to low 80s and is audible, but quieter than my old Sapphire Nitro+ 480 for sure.

This really doesn't belong here which is why its in a spoiler.

Reactions: King_V

4745454b

Titan
The cost of PSUs is crazy now. I got my Seasonic 550W on prime day last year and still spent ~$80ish I think. Might have been closer to $75. Years ago a good 550W was $60 no problem. $15 might not sound like much, but that's a 25% increase.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
So the NE550M is Seasonic Focus based? Do you have any additional photos or info?
https://csstalker.gjisland.net/blog/archives/4530
https://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=244827

the reviews are Chinese, since it's mainly a SKU sold in Asia

Here is the inside of the NE550m. Looks nothing at all like the platform for the 550w Focus I see above
correct, this is the older neo eco bronze, which is s12ii based

and FYI: Seasonic doesn't really do much modification to the level that CWT and others do, the platforms differ little outside of NZXT's e-series for focus.

The low end power supplies don't seem to be hurt too bad at least from evga.

I got an 600w white for like $45 a week ago. The 500w white was $39 or so. A little inflated perhaps but not as bad as a corsair cx550 for close to $80. Couldnt even find s cx550m

Just wish i could pick up that evga GD600w gold for $45 again since those seem to be pretty good.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
https://csstalker.gjisland.net/blog/archives/4530
https://www.coolpc.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=244827

the reviews are Chinese, since it's mainly a SKU sold in Asia

correct, this is the older neo eco bronze, which is s12ii based

and FYI: Seasonic doesn't really do much modification to the level that CWT and others do, the platforms differ little outside of NZXT's e-series for focus.

Yes looks like a Focus Plus clearly:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14338/the-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-750fx-750w-psu-review/2

Maybe next time post a bit more context and links in your initial reply instead of trying to start an argument yet again. You wonder why people can't stand you and nobody listens to you here whether you're right or not. Posting like that is the reason.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Just wish i could pick up that evga GD600w gold for $45 again since those seem to be pretty good.
yeah, for around that price they are good units... unfortunately production doesn't go as usual at both FSP and Andyson (there are two SKUs), so prices have gone through the roof with it

fortunately, once in a while you find units on discount for around 60-70 dollars that are in my eyes a bit better (for example EVGA GA and Antec Neo Eco Zen (which are both also andyson, actually) a couple days ago), but other days it can be nothing below 90 at this point

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Prices are awful right now. Its almost impossible to find a good PSU for under $99. Sometimes you catch something but stock is low on everything.
i expect it to be sold out in a couple days at this rate, but newegg has a couple segotep units going for very cheap

from the x50 watt i unfortunately don't know what it is, but the 500/600w versions (both modular and non-modular) are Fortech made units, similar to the Enermax Platimax DF with worse capacitors.

https://www.newegg.com/segotep-gp-series-600w-non-modular/p/1HU-00Z0-00008

unknown.png
(non-modular version)

003634982.png

(modular version)

Enermax-Platimax-DF-600-25-s.png

(Enermax Platimax DF)

I'd say for it's current price it's a very good choice, but again, stock is still limited with current production

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Honestly, I don't know about that brand. Even if the unit is good value, i don't know how the brands customer service would be if i had an RMA
I mean... Newegg handles it here in this case, so that part should be fine

Quote from the seller profile: "Global seller enrolled in Newegg Return Service. Newegg will be responsible for processing RMA and general customer service."

You should have seen the HUGE hassle I went through when they sent me a shattered TG side panel for my Define S. I think I mentioned it in the members systems gallery thread, but I might not have. PITA only half covers it. Totally their fault and they wanted nothing to do with making it right. Tried to get out of giving me a refund and then it took like three months to get the refund at the end of it all. That's when I pretty much stopped ordering anything from them. That was last summer or maybe last spring.

Elfunia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
Corsair RM850x 850W, 80 PLUS Gold cost same as
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Platinum
i am quite lost in their spec. I know that platinum is better in energy. But what about other specs ? More silent ? Better for x570 boards. Please advise

Last edited by a moderator:
i am quite lost in their spec. I know that platinum is better in energy. But what about other specs ? More silent ? Better for x570 boards. Please advise
As has been said, both are very good to excellent.
If they are the same price, get the Seasonic, otherwise, go for the least expensive. I don't think that you would be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: Elfunia

Elfunia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
As has been said, both are very good to excellent.
If they are the same price, get the Seasonic, otherwise, go for the least expensive. I don't think that you would be able to tell the difference.
Same price so will go with faster delivery terms :)

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
RMx would be better in almost every way but efficiency. It's more silent, as a focus tends to blast on when coming out of semi-passive mode. then again, you're likely heavily overestimating your wattage here, and would be totally fine with a 550-650w PSU unless you're currently going into hedt/multigpu setups

Are you referring to the older or the newer revision of the Focus Plus series? Nothing wrong with running a power supply that is a few hundred watts over what you actually need.

I haven't seen any mention of the Focus Plus "blasting out of semi-passive mode". Where did you see that at?

TRENDING THREADS