Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 26, 2020
Would a NZXT C650 be decent? Considering one as an upgrade to my orange VS (550w). I checked the LTT PSU Tier List, and that rated it pretty high, but no idea if its actually good or not.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hey im new around here, just wondered if anyone could advice me.

I want to upgrade my power supply on my dell optiplex 7010 and wondered if this would fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Blac...PCI-E-6x-SATA-3x-Molex-8-Pin-12V/392805178198

if not what would be best?

The Optiplex was available in many sizes from SFF to Full tower. That PSU would not fit an SFF but would fit the tower. Either way its complete trash though. Your best bet is to start a new thread and if you're not sure of the version/size of 7010 you have, share a photo of the PSU thats in there. This thread is more for discussion of PSU technology and platforms.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I figured this wasn't worth starting a thread over:
I just discovered that the function of the Hybrid mode on my psu was wired in REVERSE. So the fan has been running always active for almost 4 years...
The instruction manual, and the small diagram on the back of the unit both show to press the button DOWN to enable it.
The button is up now, and the fan turns on and off depending on the load.

Well, this psu has a 12 year warranty, so if I run into some kinda problem because of a little ol' fan...

May 29, 2020
You might want to update this list, CM and Thermaltake has some good ones to look for. Not all EVGA-branded, Leadex Super Flowers are good, many has over power/current protection problems.

Your "should never be trusted" list is also problematic. Chieftech, HEC, Kolink, among others has some really good units up their sleeves. You shouldn't put them there.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You might want to update this list, CM and Thermaltake has some good ones to look for. Not all EVGA-branded, Leadex Super Flowers are good, many has over power/current protection problems.

Your "should never be trusted" list is also problematic. Chieftech, HEC, Kolink, among others has some really good units up their sleeves. You shouldn't put them there.

If you're going to come in and say some known junk brands "have some really good units up their sleeves" then you should bring some sort of proof or context for your statement. Until then there is no reason to put any effort into chasing down information on known junk brands.

CM and Thermaltake have one or two good units each. But by the by if you find a CM or Thermaltake branded PSU on a shelf there is a significantly high chance you're getting a junk one. To your point EVGA has kind of gone downhill, Their older Leadex Superflower based PSUs are great but I heard that they (EVGA) changed the design or changed production or something (I forget) leading to the protection problems you mentioned.

May 29, 2020
Do not create alternate accounts to cause arguments.
If you're going to come in and say some known junk brands "have some really good units up their sleeves" then you should bring some sort of proof or context for your statement. Until then there is no reason to put any effort into chasing down information on known junk brands.
OK, let me educate you a bit here. You guys seem to have not done your research thoroughly, please do next time.
Chieftec: Polaris, Powerplay (approved by Aris), Core, Smart GPS-C, (approved by reputable Russian reviewers such as gecid and other non-English European reviewers).
HEC: EVGA BQ (approved by Aris), Be Quiet System Power 9 (approved poiu @TweakPC), CV 650 (approved by Jon Gerow).
Kolink: Kontinuum CPL, Enclave (Both approved by Aris at least once)

CM and Thermaltake have one or two good units each. But by the by if you find a CM or Thermaltake branded PSU on a shelf there is a significantly high chance you're getting a junk one. To your point EVGA has kind of gone downhill, Their older Leadex Superflower based PSUs are great but I heard that they (EVGA) changed the design or changed production or something (I forget) leading to the protection problems you mentioned.
If you know only one or two CM or Thermaltake units that are good then you, again, have not researched this topic properly. Go to the JonnyGuru forum if you don't believe me. Almost all TT "Toughpower" and a couple of "Smart" ones are great PSUs, all reviewed by the likes of Aris and Oklahoma Wolf. Cooler master Masterwatt and V series are similar story.

But then we know units that fails Aris' stringent testing are Super Flower or Super Flower Leadex-based units which were recomended undisputedly in this article.

It seems that this article is based on "reputable reviewers", but the insides don't match up with that methodology. Units that are known to pass reputable reviews are left out in the dust for some wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
OK, let me educate you a bit here. You guys seem to have not done your research thoroughly, please do next time.
Chieftec: Polaris, Powerplay (approved by Aris), Core, Smart GPS-C, (approved by reputable Russian reviewers, gecid and other non-English European reviewers).
HEC: EVGA BQ (approved by Aris), Be Quiet System Power 9 (approved poiu @TweakPC), CV 650 (approved by Jon Gerow).
Kolink: Kontinuum CPL, Enclave (Both approved by Aris at least once)

If you know only one or two CM or Thermaltake units that are good then you, again, have not researched this topic properly. Go to the JonnyGuru forum if you don't believe me. Almost all TT "Toughpower" and a couple of "Smart" ones are great PSUs, all reviewed by the likes of Aris and Oklahoma Wolf. Cooler master Masterwatt and V series are similar story.

But then we know units that fails Aris' stringent testing are Super Flower or Super Flower Leadex-based units which were recomended undisputedly in this article.

It seems that this article is based on "reputable reviewers", but the insides don't match up with that methodology. Units that are known to pass reputable reviews are left out in the dust for some wrong reasons.

Again if you're going to come in here and make claims, and then insult the author, expect no one to listen to you. This isn't an article, its a thread made by a member on his spare time, for discussion purposes. If you want to bring in discussion topics and discuss respectfully, feel free to. Share some links too while you're at it.

Instead you've chosen the adversarial path, and by what you've posted you have clearly not read the first post closely. Finally, I know exactly whom you are, someone previously involved in this thread who has now created a new account here to cause problems. Well that won't be happening anymore. While we are interested to see good new information, trolling with an alternate account isn't how you do that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Lets be clear here. I've had to delete a couple replies up here, this is a post for discussion of PSU platforms. If you want to bring in dissenting opinions bring links and proof not a "you are wrong because you are wrong" which is exactly what was going on above.

Secondly everyone seems to think this post is supposed to be some sort of definitive list. It is not. IT CLEARLY SAYS that it is a) not a tier list and b) not a fully definitive list in the first post.

Thirdly it seems despite repeated warnings nobody can come in and say "hey this is some info I have I think this PSU is better because X Y Z". Instead its "you don't know what you're talking about I know everything"

Discuss it respectfully and your posts won't be deleted. Come here and make fake accounts to start problems, or insult other users for whatever reason and your stuff will get deleted and you will be banned.

Reactions: King_V and Phaaze88
Mar 19, 2020
What about the Seasonic Core Gold GM500? Some guy said it's not of good quality because of "singlesided pcb and the sleeve bearing fan", but the warranty is 84 months and this and LTTs tier lists contradict him.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
What about the Seasonic Core Gold GM500? Some guy said it's not of good quality because of "singlesided pcb and the sleeve bearing fan", but the warranty is 84 months and this and LTTs tier lists contradict him.
Apparently, it's a Focus platform downgraded with single-layer PCB (which is okay by itself) and most likely some components downgrading going on too. But there are no reviews to judge it's performance, although since it's generally cheapest than most decent alternatives, at least now with all this pandemic havoc going on, it's not a bad choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, it's a Focus platform downgraded with single-layer PCB (which is okay by itself) and most likely some components downgrading going on too. But there are no reviews to judge it's performance, although since it's generally cheapest than most decent alternatives, at least now with all this pandemic havoc going on, it's not a bad choice.
And I can agree with this. And to expand on that, somewhere in here there is an actual exchange of information between Seasonic and one of our members in which Seasonic specifically states that the Core series is their "builder" level unit now, to be considered below the Focus and Focus plus units but above the S12II and S12III models. So, much better than garbage but probably not what most users are looking for when trying to source a typical Seasonic offering.

I also agree though, that currently, you're lucky to even find ANYTHING that isn't a piece of trash OR if it's not one, isn't being sold for a premium that is 50 bucks or more above what it would normally sell for as of last November or December prior to things beginning to go off the rails.

I sent an e-mail to Seasonic about Core series, including possible replacement with Focus series, and Seasonic rep had this to say:
The main purpose of the CORE series is for system builders where fewer connectors and lesser performance are needed and the price point more important.

The FOCUS is our most popular series and a great performance power supply and will continue to be an important part of our power supply offering for the foreseeable future.
While i also asked about the availability of the Core series location wise, i didn't get answer to that.

Though, the new Core series are part of the TUF Gaming Alliance and it looks like it's a special edition PSU, made in conjunction with Asus.

Jul 1, 2020
Hi, nice list. You didn't mention Bitfenix though and I'm kind of curious because I'm thinking about getting the Bitfenix Formula Gold 550W, which seems a good option at $75. Someone recommended it to me and the 450 version has a very decent review by toms hardware, and people seem to call it a good line of PSUs.

Last edited:
Hi, nice list. You didn't mention Bitfenix though and I'm kind of curious because I'm thinking about getting the Bitfenix Formula Gold 550W, which seems a good option at $75. Someone recommended it to me and the 450 version has a very decent review by toms hardware, and people seem to call it a good line of PSUs.
I have heard a lot of positive things about the formula and whisper m models from Bitfenix.

Not sure on the reliability of this review, but this is one i found:
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/09/23/bitfenix-formula-gold-550w-power-supply-review/7/