[SOLVED] Power Supply? PSU vs GPU System Crashing Issue.

Jul 17, 2020
I am having an issue with my pc, looking for recommendations. I originally purchased an "IBUYPOWER" pc from best buy about a year ago, i7 8700k / rtx 2080 gigabyte edition (aorus) / power supply 650 bronze 80 gigabyte I believe it is.

the computer has run great for a long period of time then it started to slow down so I went in and dusted everything out, for some reason my office gets massive amounts of dust. I mainly play fortnite and a few other games. I started playing when I got it and the frames performance was top level, it would do 240+ frames no problem. It started to slow down a bit but I just kept thinking fortnite is a clunky game, which it is. After dusting the PC out it started to run pretty well again but? maybe still not as good as it originally did. I thought it may be overheating so I tried some programs to check the temp (nzxt cam) and it did appear to maybe run on the hot side? over 90 degrees on the cpu side from time to time, but the graphics card always seemed to stay pretty low temp wise, however it feels very hot to the touch?

fastforward to where i'm at now.......

My #1 issue now is i'm not getting the performance out the pc that I had hoped I paid for, I have to cap my frames in game lower and turn the settings down on others just so it won't reboot my computer, it's pretty stable as long as I cap frames/turn the settings way down but? honestly I have an old 1050ti graphics card that performs better than my rtx 2080 at this point? My question is? is it possible that the 650watt power supply is underpowering the card and making it heat up etc? or is it more likely that my graphics card is going bad?

thank you for your time.

Solution
the cpu has a liquid cooling system attached to it, and i'm not sure it's working very well given the temps? i'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to be. but it appears that my cpu is getting hot and shutting off? all the fans are working etc and it's ice cold in the room i'm in.
the cpu has a liquid cooling system attached to it, and i'm not sure it's working very well given the temps? i'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to be. but it appears that my cpu is getting hot and shutting off? all the fans are working etc and it's ice cold in the room i'm in. I dusted the case extensively, all through the gpu and cooling radiator fans etc.

after some testing I actually got it figured out, the liquid cooling system had failed...
Jul 16, 2020
I am having an issue with my pc, looking for recommendations. I originally purchased an "IBUYPOWER" pc from best buy about a year ago, i7 8700k / rtx 2080 gigabyte edition (aorus) / power supply 650 bronze 80 gigabyte I believe it is.

the computer has run great for a long period of time then it started to slow down so I went in and dusted everything out, for some reason my office gets massive amounts of dust. I mainly play fortnite and a few other games. I started playing when I got it and the frames performance was top level, it would do 240+ frames no problem. It started to slow down a bit but I just kept thinking fortnite is a clunky game, which it is. After dusting the PC out it started to run pretty well again but? maybe still not as good as it originally did. I thought it may be overheating so I tried some programs to check the temp (nzxt cam) and it did appear to maybe run on the hot side? over 90 degrees on the cpu side from time to time, but the graphics card always seemed to stay pretty low temp wise, however it feels very hot to the touch?

fastforward to where i'm at now.......

My #1 issue now is i'm not getting the performance out the pc that I had hoped I paid for, I have to cap my frames in game lower and turn the settings down on others just so it won't reboot my computer, it's pretty stable as long as I cap frames/turn the settings way down but? honestly I have an old 1050ti graphics card that performs better than my rtx 2080 at this point? My question is? is it possible that the 650watt power supply is underpowering the card and making it heat up etc? or is it more likely that my graphics card is going bad?

thank you for your time.
Hi what psu are you using?

Reactions: King_V
Jul 17, 2020
it's currently in my computer and kinda surrounded by a case but the label on the side is Gigabyte P650B 80 plus bronze power supply. does that let you know or do I need an exact serial?

i'm pretty sure it's this model at this link

https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/Power-Supply#kf

it was a prebuilt system so I figured it was okay but? maybe not?

after checking temps on nzxt cam, i'm noticing the cpu temps going up over 90 from time to time, I have a liquid cooling system on the processor that came with the pc, not really sure if that could be an issue? I've never seen it over 100 but it's definately in the 90+ range pretty frequently while gaming.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's usually one of the places where a prebuilt might cut corners. I can't seem to find anything conclusive - one place saying it should be good, another saying they'd recommend going with something more reputable.

I don't suppose you're still in the warranty period for your PC, are you? If so, I'd say that it's IBUYPOWER's problem and they should fix it.

That said, I don't think that a bad PSU can cause higher temps. They can cause failures overall, but not higher temps specifically (at least that I'm aware of).

Since you mention dust being an issue in your office, I'd really double check the dust levels, particularly very carefully between the fins of the GPU and CPU heatsinks.

Jul 17, 2020
the cpu has a liquid cooling system attached to it, and i'm not sure it's working very well given the temps? i'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to be. but it appears that my cpu is getting hot and shutting off? all the fans are working etc and it's ice cold in the room i'm in. I dusted the case extensively, all through the gpu and cooling radiator fans etc.

Jul 17, 2020
the cpu has a liquid cooling system attached to it, and i'm not sure it's working very well given the temps? i'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to be. but it appears that my cpu is getting hot and shutting off? all the fans are working etc and it's ice cold in the room i'm in.

after some testing I actually got it figured out, the liquid cooling system had failed and was causing the cpu to overheat and shut off, I think my power supply and graphics card are fine, I picked up a new liquid cooler from corsair and it's running nice & cool and everythings working properly.

Solution