[SOLVED] Power supply query, how much is too much?

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
So I've found I need to upgrade to a higher wattage PSU to run a graphics cards I want to install. From what I've found online my graphics card needs 500 watts and the recommendations I've been given are to get a 650 watt PSU.

Is this likely to cause any kind of overheating issues with the extra wattage?

Solution
If your GPU + CPU Combined wattage is less than 30% of Max PSU Wattage I'd say that's too much PSU power.
Most PSUs rated for their 80+ Efficiency usually only have that at atleast 20% or more load so if your MAX load is very near to this threshold then you definitely have more watts than you need and you're wasting power and your PSU may fail although can't say for sure.
If your GPU + CPU Combined wattage is less than 30% of Max PSU Wattage I'd say that's too much PSU power.
Most PSUs rated for their 80+ Efficiency usually only have that at atleast 20% or more load so if your MAX load is very near to this threshold then you definitely have more watts than you need and you're wasting power and your PSU may fail although can't say for sure.

Reactions: HardDisk Woes
Solution

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
What is your system specs?
PSUs are happiest (lowest BTU per Watt) at about 40-60% of their rated maximum wattage. To extend the life of your new PSU always stay below 80% of it's rated maximum.
Hope this what you need. I've got an Intel core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91GHz 16 GB ram, 64 bit operating system, currently using a GTX 1050ti but want to replace that with a GTX970. I've got a 1TB HDD and a DVD player that of course gets no use.
The PSU I have is running at 280 watts.

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
Is this an OEM system? (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.)
Some of those systems use non-standard size PSUs. Make sure that the CPU you get can fit and has all the appropriate connectors for your whole system, including the new card.
I knew I missed something, it is a Lenovo Legion Y520T's. The card will fit and I do have the right connectors, I;m just worried about having too much wattage.

EDIT: Actually, on a different note, would running the graphics card with my existing PSU cause any issues?

Last edited:
What's your current power supply specs? I had a bit of a typo. I wa s referring to the power supply itself. Make sure the one you are upgrading to fits and has all the proper connectors.
The GTX 970 is definitely an upgrade over the 1050 Ti but it's an older card. Better to go with a newer card. What's your budget?

Last edited:
Reactions: HardDisk Woes

HardDisk Woes

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
All I know for certain at the moment is that it uses 280 watts. The sticker with the details is hidden so I'll have to unscrew the unit to find out any other details like make and model.