Power Supply Question for 9800 Pro or XT

I'm an Nvidia owner, about to jump ship. Yup, thought you'd like
that.

I bought a house about 2 years ago and it's consumed all of my money
up until now. So it's time to upgrade. My last 3 cars were nvidia. MY
card now is an Asus gf3 ti 200. The last good nvidia car imho. Still
tuns things pretty good but I'm sure I'll see a jump. At least I hope
so.

Anyways, to my question. He's my setup. The cpu/dvdrw/video card have
yet to be bought. Buying at the same time.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
3.0 gig P4c or e. More then likely it'll be a C. Don't have this part
yet, running right now a 2.4@533 which is not mine.

512 Kingston HyperX pc3200 in dual channel. Might upgrade this to 1024
if i got the $$$ left over.

All IDE
Seagate 120 gig, 8meg 7200
Two Maxtor 30 gig drives 7200
1 Western Digi 30 gig 7200

Pioneer dvd105
NEC 2510

Enermax 330 Watt.

Sb Live 5.1 card.

AM I going to have power troubles? I have a Antec 400 watt in a 2nd
machine here, but I'd rather use the 330 if I could as it's a nicer
PS, quiet, cool, and dual fan. Whereas the Antec is single fan.

I was originally looking at the ATI 9800 pro. not the AIW. But, I'd
almost love to get my hands on a XT if the prices EVER come down now
that the x800 is out.

Thanks guys.

I probably will not be oc'ing this machine. Maybe just the vid card
after a while...not sure.

With that load on the PSU that all your components present, I would
recommend getting nothing less than an Antec 430 Watt Tru Power PSU.

--
DaveW

"Newf !!!" <usenet42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm an Nvidia owner, about to jump ship. Yup, thought you'd like
> that.
>

> I bought a house about 2 years ago and it's consumed all of my money
> up until now. So it's time to upgrade. My last 3 cars were nvidia. MY
> card now is an Asus gf3 ti 200. The last good nvidia car imho. Still
> tuns things pretty good but I'm sure I'll see a jump. At least I hope
> so.
>

> Anyways, to my question. He's my setup. The cpu/dvdrw/video card have
> yet to be bought. Buying at the same time.
>
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> 3.0 gig P4c or e. More then likely it'll be a C. Don't have this part
> yet, running right now a 2.4@533 which is not mine.
>
> 512 Kingston HyperX pc3200 in dual channel. Might upgrade this to 1024
> if i got the $$$ left over.
>
> All IDE
> Seagate 120 gig, 8meg 7200
> Two Maxtor 30 gig drives 7200
> 1 Western Digi 30 gig 7200
>
> Pioneer dvd105
> NEC 2510
>
> Enermax 330 Watt.
>
> Sb Live 5.1 card.
>
> AM I going to have power troubles? I have a Antec 400 watt in a 2nd
> machine here, but I'd rather use the 330 if I could as it's a nicer
> PS, quiet, cool, and dual fan. Whereas the Antec is single fan.
>
> I was originally looking at the ATI 9800 pro. not the AIW. But, I'd
> almost love to get my hands on a XT if the prices EVER come down now
> that the x800 is out.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> I probably will not be oc'ing this machine. Maybe just the vid card
> after a while...not sure.

Don't quote me.
But I just rebuilt my AMD XP 2600+ (1Gig PC2700). Western Digital 120Gb
7200rpm , IOmega Dual DVD 4x +/- , Floppy, SB Live 5.1 , ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
(360 core) w/ Artic Cooling VGA Silencer, and even tossed in a green cold
cathode light, all in a Yellow Chenbro Hornet mATX case.
It was a Waspinator theme PC. The built in 270w mATX power supply is running
it all perfectly. Can play hours of BF:Vietnam and Far Cry with no problems.

Your 330w is plenty, just drop all the "small" 30Gig hard drives.

Reviews show that the x800 actually has a smaller power draw then the
9800Pro's.

> With that load on the PSU that all your components present, I would
> recommend getting nothing less than an Antec 430 Watt Tru Power PSU.
>

> --
> DaveW
>

> "Newf !!!" <usenet42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm an Nvidia owner, about to jump ship. Yup, thought you'd like
> > that.
> >

> > I bought a house about 2 years ago and it's consumed all of my money
> > up until now. So it's time to upgrade. My last 3 cars were nvidia. MY
> > card now is an Asus gf3 ti 200. The last good nvidia car imho. Still
> > tuns things pretty good but I'm sure I'll see a jump. At least I hope
> > so.
> >

> > Anyways, to my question. He's my setup. The cpu/dvdrw/video card have
> > yet to be bought. Buying at the same time.
> >
> > Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> > 3.0 gig P4c or e. More then likely it'll be a C. Don't have this part
> > yet, running right now a 2.4@533 which is not mine.
> >
> > 512 Kingston HyperX pc3200 in dual channel. Might upgrade this to 1024
> > if i got the $$$ left over.
> >
> > All IDE
> > Seagate 120 gig, 8meg 7200
> > Two Maxtor 30 gig drives 7200
> > 1 Western Digi 30 gig 7200
> >
> > Pioneer dvd105
> > NEC 2510
> >
> > Enermax 330 Watt.
> >
> > Sb Live 5.1 card.
> >
> > AM I going to have power troubles? I have a Antec 400 watt in a 2nd
> > machine here, but I'd rather use the 330 if I could as it's a nicer
> > PS, quiet, cool, and dual fan. Whereas the Antec is single fan.
> >
> > I was originally looking at the ATI 9800 pro. not the AIW. But, I'd
> > almost love to get my hands on a XT if the prices EVER come down now
> > that the x800 is out.
> >
> > Thanks guys.
> >
> > I probably will not be oc'ing this machine. Maybe just the vid card
> > after a while...not sure.

It *should* be fine. Try the 330-watter first, if you encounter problems, it
is not difficult to swap it out for the Antec afterwards.

"Newf !!!" <usenet42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm an Nvidia owner, about to jump ship. Yup, thought you'd like
> that.
>

> I bought a house about 2 years ago and it's consumed all of my money
> up until now. So it's time to upgrade. My last 3 cars were nvidia. MY
> card now is an Asus gf3 ti 200. The last good nvidia car imho. Still
> tuns things pretty good but I'm sure I'll see a jump. At least I hope
> so.
>

> Anyways, to my question. He's my setup. The cpu/dvdrw/video card have
> yet to be bought. Buying at the same time.
>
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> 3.0 gig P4c or e. More then likely it'll be a C. Don't have this part
> yet, running right now a 2.4@533 which is not mine.
>
> 512 Kingston HyperX pc3200 in dual channel. Might upgrade this to 1024
> if i got the $$$ left over.
>
> All IDE
> Seagate 120 gig, 8meg 7200
> Two Maxtor 30 gig drives 7200
> 1 Western Digi 30 gig 7200
>
> Pioneer dvd105
> NEC 2510
>
> Enermax 330 Watt.
>
> Sb Live 5.1 card.
>
> AM I going to have power troubles? I have a Antec 400 watt in a 2nd
> machine here, but I'd rather use the 330 if I could as it's a nicer
> PS, quiet, cool, and dual fan. Whereas the Antec is single fan.
>
> I was originally looking at the ATI 9800 pro. not the AIW. But, I'd
> almost love to get my hands on a XT if the prices EVER come down now
> that the x800 is out.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> I probably will not be oc'ing this machine. Maybe just the vid card
> after a while...not sure.

Thanks guys. I just have to decide if the 9800 pro is going to do
what I want and last as long as I hope it will. I have to take a trip
down to my buddies house and benchmark his machine which has the same
mobo, chip, and a 9800 pro. Heck I built it for him, but he put in the
vid card afterwards. It seems every other friend I have has a Nvidia.
And they don't have anything that impresses me anymore.

Hmmm, I wonder if the XT will come down in price soon. I'd love to
have a legit copy of half life 2

Latest posts