Power Supply question Good / Bad

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
your newegg link doesn't work.

What is the specs for your system?

The sparklingpower psu i'd heavly question the quality of? I was unable to find any reviews on it. That would put a red flag in the air for me.

Tisaab

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
AMD X2 7750 CPU

Asus M3N78-VN M/B

Adata 4GB (2x2GB) ram kit

LG 2X dvd rw

western Digitial 500GB HD

Will be adding later a 60$CAD
HIS Radeon 9250 128MB DDR PCI 64bit, DVI, TV-Out OR HIS Radeon X550 128MB PCI-E w/TV & DVI

Tisaab

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Well, seeing as everyone agrees that Sparkle make good PSU's, I will go with what I listed in my post above.

Thanks

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Uhh who agreed on that? I disagree. I wouldn't trust any computer to a PSU that hadn't been extensively reviewed and tested. I can't find any reviews that conclude Sparklepower makes good PSUs. They did use to be a good OEM, but I wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that means the PSU you are looking at is good. I think things might have changed after they were bought by FSP

I would take a good look at aevm's suggestion.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I wasn't saying that sparkling makes good psu's. I was stating I couldn't find any that have been reviewed. If you're looking at retails sights for their reviews this is not what we here at tom's consider a good review. Most people do not have the proper equipment to properly test PSU's. If there's one thing that customer reviews do not really mean anything, it'd be the PSU. That's why I was looking for a review sight that actually has the proper testing equipment to test one out and I couldn't find one. That's a big red flag (red meaning stop/bad). I would try to stear clear of such psu's then.

It the end though its your money and your call. All i can say is going cheap on a psu can really burn you in the long run. When a cheap psu dies (which is ussualy quicker than a good psu), not only does it take out itself it has a good chance of taking out other components in your pc. Meaning that you'll not only be replacing the psu but maybe a vidoe card or motherboard. Yes a good psu can have this happen to it but i'd say at a much lower risk rate. Poor psu's have a tendancy of overratinge their psu, where as good quilality psu's ussualy underrate their psu. Your call...

If you get the HD 4670 then Vista should work well.

If you get one of those old Radeons then stick with XP, because it has much lower requirements from the GPU.

Since you have 4GB of RAM, it would be better to have Vista 64-bit than XP 32-bit, because XP 32-bit won't see the whole 4GB.