Power Supply Question?

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi guys i have a question i would like to ask cause i plan on buying parts to build my new gaming rig which is going to have a Asus Prime A320M motherboard a 2400G a GTX 1050 Ti and 16gb of memory and i plan on using my old 550w PSU (bought it in like February/March) and was wondering if it is enough for those parts with 3 120mm Fans a SSD and 2 Hybrid drives?

Depends on the PSU, what is it?

Make, model?

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

I think this might make it easier for you to know which one i am using https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148056
And note i bought that at my local PC store back then cause when my old PSU burnt out i needed a new one right away and that was the only one i could afford.

Well, I would replace that with a quality PSU before buying anything else.

APEVIA makes power supply shaped objects and shouldn't be used in PC's.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

Well i have been using it for a good 4 to 5 months so far and i have no issues what so ever and i was thinking in time when i have more money that i would get something like this one the EVGA 600 B1 or the Thermaltake Smart Series 600w or even the Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600w because those are companies i used in the past and i trust the most and i usually tend to hear bad stories when it comes to Corsair stuff.

None of those are any good either.

As far as Corsair goes the TXM and RMX series are excellent.

Also:

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3.

Do NOT use that current PSU in your new machine whatever you do.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

I am actually buying all my parts tomorrow because i have been saving for 3 months now and i have the money for everything i want to have even though this will be my first AMD personal build and i don't want to wait another month because i actually want to play my games on a higher settings and also stream them at 1080p cause my current setup now is a i5 2500 with a 1050 Ti and 16gb of memory and i am only able to stream at 720p cause 1080p when i watch and a few others watch notice some lag in the video and while i love Intel it is a little costly now to build a system based on Intel parts and in time i do plan on getting a 600w PSU cause while it is a A320M motherboard i found out the one i am getting i am able to overclock it which is actually this board https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144045

Decided on that one instead of the Asus board because if my GPU would ever die out on me i find i could use the iGPU in that and overclock the processor along with the iGPU to make it similar to a 1050.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

Um thanks but those all look a little under powered because in time i do plan on adding things like LED strips and a M.2 SSD inside of my system which is why next month i plan on getting a 650w PSU because of another thing is if i buy a new GPU when they come out i am planning on going all AMD for a change so if they come out with something like a RX 670 i have my intentions on that since i mainly game at 1080p only and would like to max out most games i own.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

There is multiple things i do plan on adding to my system in the future which will exceed over 500w especially when i mentioned about getting a newer GPU when it comes out because no one would really know how much power an RX 670/680 would give when it comes out or if AMD bothers to keep naming their cards that because right now a 4gb RX 580 is 150w alone which they recommend using a 500w PSU but when adding other things like the CPU, hard drives and LED strips they require more power than that.

So if you can come up with the math with everything said so far then i don't know where your mind is at then and remember i did mention about having a SSD with 2 hybrid drives as well and in time i am planning on having at least a 500gb M.2 SSD for certain games that has longer loading times because no one likes to play a game and be stuck in a 2-3 min long loading screen.

TRENDING THREADS