[SOLVED] Power Supply Question

Solution
Here is my possible PC build, I’ve just provided screenshots as they are easier for me please note that I’m trying to build a gaming PC, but not really hardcore games.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/xuaIFuf
OK. Here's what I got.
  • Ryzen 5 2600 can easily do the job for mid-level gaming. You don't need onboard graphics that the 3400g has. This will save you a few bucks.
  • An A320 board is a poor choice. You should be using at least a b450 board. The MSI Tomahawk Max B450 is a good choice that's not too expensive.
  • Ram speed for Ryzen would be far better at 3200mhz. vs 2400mhz.
  • A single 1TB NVME drive would do the job instead of a small NVME and additional 2.5" SSD.
  • You really...
Bjying a $500 apu system, then straight away stickimg a 170w $280 rx 580 in it doesn't make a lot of sense.

That is never going to be a 'quality' 500w psu they're supplying with it.

Well, thats a lie, it will definitely be quality, but bad quality rather than good.

Pcbyte are fairly reputable, the 2 year return to base is good.

However you probably lose that warranty as soonas you stick a new gpu in there.

If you must buy a prebuild with warranty buy it with the gpu included to cover yourself.

The prebuilds on there are fairly awful, they're classing a pc with a gt710 as a 'gaming' pc

Reactions: King_V
Aug 7, 2020
I’ll probably pick the prebuilt up, see what power supply it does have and if it’s a no brand one I’ll take it out and chuck a 600watt power supply and do everything else to it if there is no branded stuff.

I’ll probably pick the prebuilt up, see what power supply it does have and if it’s a no brand one I’ll take it out and chuck a 600watt power supply and do everything else to it if there is no branded stuff.
This is an office pc, nothing more. Trying to make it into a gaming pc is a fools errand.
  • Case does not appear to support adequate airflow a gaming system needs.
  • Single 8GB memory DIMM is a performance hit for Ryzen.
  • Memory speed is not listed. Expect it to be subpar.
  • SSD storage is small and not specified as NVME.
  • Does not come with operating system license.
  • Power supply brand/model not listed. Big red flag here.

Reactions: madmatt30

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, as said, this is a pretty bad idea. By the time you're replacing everything that needs to be replaced to make this into a gaming PC, you've built a whole new thing and paid for these parts for no reason. And if you have the skillset to do everything needed to make this into a gaming PC, then you have the skillset to have built it in the first place. Maybe if this were some amazing sale price for quality parts, there'd be an argument for this prebuilt, but it's just the cheapest crap needed to run a 3400G thrown into a cheap box. This PC is for someone at an office to use Excel or for grandma to check her email once a week.

Aug 7, 2020
If I do decide to get it, I would sell the SSD and get 2 SSD’s and depending on the power supply it has, if it has a reputable brand I would keep that one, and as I said above I would upgrade its graphics card, maybe get a new case so with all that maybe 250$ AUD with all the money back from selling things. I'm tried to add all the things listed into a build thing and it's more then the purchase, I would not buy the parts, if it's not as specified I can use the warranty and get my money back. Remember this does meet all the specs for games I want to play,

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Man, I just saw the description of the motherboard on the site.

"The A320M motherboards provide the most fascinating in-studio advantages, designed to satisfy any professional workflow."

The "most fascinating in-studio advantages?" I'd never make fun of the fractured English of a website in a country where it's not the local language, but a company in Australia ought to be able to find someone who speaks the language.

Aug 7, 2020
Well, after all I decided not to go with that, but I will hopefully do a build, since you guys have said not to do that, and made sure to go with some good brands from mwave.

Well, after all I decided not to go with that, but I will hopefully do a build, since you guys have said not to do that, and made sure to go with some good brands from mwave.
Most guys around here tend to take a pretty hard stance against prebuilts for the many reasons listed throughout this thread. Keep in mind we're simply trying to protect you from buyers remorse. Let us know what you're proposed build will be so we can offer constructive criticism and hopefully some helpful insights to insure you get the best for you money. Cheers!

Last edited:
You get the odd prebuilt thats probably worth buying with the intention of upgrading bit by bit but that's not one of them.

Stick a new psu and a gpu in there and its up close to $900.
Then you've got a low end board with limited upgradability, a low end ssd, 1 stick of 8gb ram which will likely need replacing completely to get 16gb because memory matching on ryzen is treachorous to say the least.
Its also probably only 2133/2400mhz which is detrimental to performance anyway.

All bundled up in a cheap $20 case with virtually zero airflow, barely any cpu cooler or gpu clearance and a lone 80mm exhaust fan.

By the time you've done you'll be up to $1000 and youll still end up with something fairly subpar.

Here is my possible PC build, I’ve just provided screenshots as they are easier for me please note that I’m trying to build a gaming PC, but not really hardcore games.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/xuaIFuf
OK. Here's what I got.
  • Ryzen 5 2600 can easily do the job for mid-level gaming. You don't need onboard graphics that the 3400g has. This will save you a few bucks.
  • An A320 board is a poor choice. You should be using at least a b450 board. The MSI Tomahawk Max B450 is a good choice that's not too expensive.
  • A single 1TB NVME drive would do the job instead of a small NVME and additional 2.5" SSD.
  • You really don't need an AIO cooler for the Ryzen unless you're overclocking a 3700 CPU. Put the money to a better motherboard as suggested.
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the paste you want for the CPU if you don't want to use the paste that comes with the Ryzen.
  • I'd choose an Antec EA Gold Pro 550W, made by Seasonic, over the Silverstone PSU.
  • A mesh front case is the way to go for a gaming pc.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NGpgV7

Reactions: Deicidium369
Solution

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
OK. Here's what I got.
  • You really don't need an AIO cooler for the Ryzen unless you're overclocking a 3700 CPU. Put the money to a better motherboard as suggested.
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the paste you want for the CPU if you don't want to use the paste that comes with the Ryzen.
  • I'd choose an Antec EA Gold Pro 550W, made by Seasonic, over the Silverstone PSU.
  • A mesh front case is the way to go for a gaming pc.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NGpgV7
Seasonic always for the most important component in a PC

This comes in right around the same price as what you had posted but will be a lot faster.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($286.00 @ Newegg Australia)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($40.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.00 @ Device Deal)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($90.99 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($163.54 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($374.00 @ Newegg Australia)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($136.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T5E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($55.60 @ Device Deal)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-C-MHD 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($239.00 @ Centre Com)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator 3 Wired Gaming Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($59.00 @ PC Byte)
Total: $1701.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-11 22:49 AEST+1000

I don't recall "recommending Seasonic for ages". I'm not shilling. You're shilling. If I were shilling, I would tell the OP to get rid of the Antec and get a Corsair.

You can't blanket say ANY brand is ALWAYS the best. There are lots of models in lots of price points. I'd do the same if someone was wanting a PSU for RTX 2080 and someone said "Get Corsair! They're the best!" and the OP ran out and bought a VS or CV series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS