msi GeForce gtx 1660 super

500gb m.2

16 gb of ram 2x 8 team group rgb

tp link Ac1300 PCI express adapter

Nzxt atx case red

Last edited:
Solution
@Isokolon : No disagreement per se.

That is why I suggest using two or three calculators plus a manual total. Look for a consensus around some recommended wattage.

Component manufacturer's arrive at power consumption via ideal conditions.

PSU manufacturer's likewise arrive at power capabilities via ideal conditions.

Then product manufacturing/quality is likely to respectively increase power requirements (for components) and reduce power availability ( by PSUs).

May be "good" for just enough time to garner positive reviews and then production cutbacks lower the quality.....

[ Cynicism conceded. :) ]

Once installed, who knows what the real/actual working environment will be? 24/7 gaming or bit-mining perhaps...

Ralston18

Titan
My thoughts:

Power consumption = 125 Watts

Recommended PSU = 450 Watts.

Reference:

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER-GAMING-X/Specification

(Do verify that I identified the correct GPU.)

When considering GPUs and power requirements I use the high end value of any power requirements: i.e., 450 Watts.

GPU high end wattage + other system components (likewise high end wattage) + 25% extra is likely to be very close to 500 Watts or even go over that value at peak.

No harm in having some extra power via a higher wattage PSU of good quality.

Try two or three of the power calculators in the link that I provided (Post #3). Then do your own manual total using component wattages. If a wattage range is provided - use the high end value.

My thoughts:

Power consumption = 125 Watts

Recommended PSU = 450 Watts.

Reference:

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER-GAMING-X/Specification

(Do verify that I identified the correct GPU.)

When considering GPUs and power requirements I use the high end value of any power requirements: i.e., 450 Watts.

GPU high end wattage + other system components (likewise high end wattage) + 25% extra is likely to be very close to 500 Watts or even go over that value at peak.

No harm in having some extra power via a higher wattage PSU of good quality.

Try two or three of the power calculators in the link that I provided (Post #3). Then do your own manual total using component wattages. If a wattage range is provided - use the high end value.

This build won't be anywhere close to 500W in terms of power. the GPU takes 125W. the 3600 around 80W. that's 205W. add RAM, SSD. chipset, fans and you're at 225W if I'm very generous. you're nowhere near 500W power draw even with a "25% extra".

as for the calculators provided....

• Cooler Master & Be Quiet use TDP. Which isn't really power draw (see the i9) but something for orientation. Entering the Ryzen 3600 is displayed at 65W
  • the Newegg calculator requires you to enter a mainboard size. For some reason with an ATX board that CPU requires 135W (wtf) with an SSI EEB 215W (lol) but with an ITX only 95W. Which is pretty much *** [Moderator edit to remove profanity.\
  • the Seasonic one is even worse, using outervision for their calculator. a 3600 suddenly uses 173W! that's only more than twice as much (and before someone comes and says "but the mainboard.." - a mainboard chipset uses 4-8W. if it would use 90W we would need CPU-like heatsinks on them.
I would not recommend any of them (and frankly am kinda supported Tom's promotes such calculators as they're clearly ripping buyers off)

Ralston18

Titan
@Isokolon : No disagreement per se.

That is why I suggest using two or three calculators plus a manual total. Look for a consensus around some recommended wattage.

Component manufacturer's arrive at power consumption via ideal conditions.

PSU manufacturer's likewise arrive at power capabilities via ideal conditions.

Then product manufacturing/quality is likely to respectively increase power requirements (for components) and reduce power availability ( by PSUs).

May be "good" for just enough time to garner positive reviews and then production cutbacks lower the quality.....

[ Cynicism conceded. :) ]

Once installed, who knows what the real/actual working environment will be? 24/7 gaming or bit-mining perhaps? Overclocking....?

Overall, there has been much discussion for a long time about the subject.

Personally, I prefer to be over wattage. Others not so much.

Key is that the OP can get a sense of what all needs to be considered and then factor in the details relevant to budget, wattage margins, and quality and system use. Then purchase accordingly.

May not be the PSU I would purchase; however that (my selection) is immaterial if the OP's decision is made on an informed basis.

Solution