With this setup 2 "quick" questions.

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

1, Would a Corsair RM850 be enough. Or should I go for the 1000.
I would rather stick with the 850 for price. But dont want to get the wrong thing.

2, I have read that the 2400 Mhz Ram, will work fine with this MB, as long as I
change the XMP profiles in the Bios. (All pretty much gobbledy beloved patriot, 2 days ago) but I am getting me head around it more now.

But I also read that the Z97 gaming 5 mobos <- see jargon already, flex)
Sorry. I read that these mbs can be difficult with swapping the CPU (I think) between 1.5v to 1.65v in the bios to run this RAM at full Mgz.

Any help very much appreciated.

As much As I have read and watched. Google always brings me back to this amazing site.

So I thought it was time I signed up and asked the experts myself. ?

Solution
RM850 will be perfect for your setup and is a great GPU all around (see my sig). It's very, very quiet and is fully modular.

Here's a good review on the RM:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM850/

You should be fine with the XMP profile, sometimes user reviews can be unreliable (shocking, I know). If for some reason the ram simply will not function at the advertised speed, just return it and get something that will. I got the EVGA ram in my signature for $110 which is a pretty good deal.

Have fun with your new build!

spagalicious

Distinguished
RM850 will be perfect for your setup and is a great GPU all around (see my sig). It's very, very quiet and is fully modular.

Here's a good review on the RM:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM850/

You should be fine with the XMP profile, sometimes user reviews can be unreliable (shocking, I know). If for some reason the ram simply will not function at the advertised speed, just return it and get something that will. I got the EVGA ram in my signature for $110 which is a pretty good deal.

Have fun with your new build!

Solution

yeskay

Distinguished

Hello Daynhg,

- The Corsair 850RM is more than enough to run the two GTX 970 in SLI. In fact, the recommended is only a quality 750W.
- The Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V).
- This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation,
- In order to try and run at 2400Mhz, may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum. This may lead to system instability. So better to stay within recommended limits.
- Also the performance difference in gaming for running the RAM at different speeds 1333/1600/1866/2400 is highly negligible or even non-existent! So don't be too concerned or disappointed, if you can't hit the 2400 mark. Watch this video:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4"][/video]
- Instead of Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5, consider the Gigabyte Z97 GA-UD3H-BK [Black Edition] motherboard, which right now costs even less and is even a better choice.
10488.png

What Gigabyte says about their Black Edition Motherbaords?

GIGABYTE Black Edition motherboards undergo an extra 168 hours (7 days) of stress testing before shipment to ensure premium quality for our customers.

During the 168 hour test, each motherboard needs to pass rigorous, full system validation testing for 1 full week. GIGABYTE has built a custom testing facility at our Taiwan (Nanping) factory.

A Certificate of Validation is included with every board, issued by the GIGABYTE factory and signed by the manufacturing VP & GM to indicate that each board has passed our highest test standards.

Update:

Even if you OC the processor, the two GTX 970 GPUs and RAM, even a 750W is more than enough. Yours is 850W, so more than 100% guaranteed to work.

Update #2:

Both the Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5 & Gigabyte Z97 GA-UD3H-BK motherboard comes with 4 SATA cables (at least 2 in Gaming 5, but may be more). So no need to buy extra SATA cables.

For Wifi, get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $18.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 09:33 EDT-0400

Cheers!

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Brilliant reply, thank you very much spagalicious. (love the profile name btw)

Knowing the 850 is good enough is great..! As it frees up some cash for case fans without getting me into *cough* trouble.

I agree, I think that changing the XMP profile in the bios will be very doable, even for a noob like moi.
So yes I am assured now, Thank you indeed. ☺

PS. last quirky. Would that 850 be enough OK even if I ever OC?

spagalicious

Distinguished

Yep even on an OC as 850W will be more than enough. Should be a monster build man, have fun!

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Guys you have helped me so much with this thread, could I impose upon you once more, for 2 last (and related) MB questions.

If for these 2 questions I should start a new thread, please advise, and I will.

1) Regarding this MB (or indeed any mb) I noticed on Amazon when I was looking at the SSHD drives, a link to buying the cabling for the drive.
In the "other people who bought this drive, also bought this cable section.

I have linked to Amazon. if scroll down a little to where it says "Frequently Bought Together" (100% safe link, its to Amazon.co.uk)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000DX001-Desktop-Internal-Hybrid/dp/B00EIQTKAS/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1433940249&sr=1-4&keywords=seagate+sshd+hybrid+sata+6gb+s+7200rpm

The question being.
Does one have to buy more cabling to fit drives? I just assumed that the cables would come with the MB
to install the likes of HDDS, etc?

2) On a normal MB like the Gaming 5, if 2 GPU's are installed, is there room left (PCI slot is it) for an internal WIFI card. I have read that with SLI it leaves no room, which I find strange, but wanted to ask the experts.
Either way, whether internal (which I would prefer, or external USB, could you guys please suggest a good reliable (that wont break the bank) WIFI card ? USB transmitter.

Again thank you so much.

Thank you again for any help.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Just want to thank both of you guys for all the incredible feedback you gave me on here.

Really impressed the heck out of me, how great this site, the expertise, and how friendly, and ultra helpful you are

Both of you provided solutions.

Kudos blokes.

Andy.

spagalicious

Distinguished
SATA cables for drive connections will come packaged with your motherboard. Also, modern ATX sized motherboards have plenty of room between PCI lanes, you should be able to squeeze a WiFi card in with relative ease. The cards will take up 2 PCI-E lanes each, however, there are additional PCI 1x slots for a card.

Have fun, here's to hoping the install goes smoothly!

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Thanks again spagalicious

Massive help. Both you guys were, seriously impressed.

Respect. ☺