Question Power supply readings off by 20%

LokkenJP

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Greetings.

This morning when starting up my PC, the boot cycle got interrupted and the computer rebooted. The initial screen shown that the Surge Protection feature of my Asus motherboard kicked in due a PSU power surge and switched off the PC.

Since then, this happens on every boot and checking the PSU voltages both within the BIOS and by using HwMonitor I'm seing that all rail readings are exactly off by 20%:

psu.png

Readings on the BIOS screen are identical.

This is super weird. The PC works fine, even under load. And the fact that all readings are off by exactly the same 20% amount puzzles me.

I've ordered a new Corsair PSU to replace mine, just in case, but I'm afraid it could be a Mobo issue instead of a PSU problem.

Any ideas what could be happening here?

L.

P.S. Just for reference, mobo is a Asus H81M Plus and the PSU a Tacens Radix VII AG 80+ Silver (I know, I know, crap PSU, but I got this as a prebuilt, and so far it has worked flawlessly for quite some years)

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:

LokkenJP

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Wrong readings by the software. If the voltages are really that low the system would've shut down or even didn't start up.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I tend to believe. In fact when I saw this on HWMonitor I though it was just an issue with the tool, but once I got into the BIOS and checked the voltages there, I got the same exact low readings. That's why I'm afraid it could be something related to the motherboard instead.

With the 3.3 rail in particular. I'm no expert with this, but the memory shouldn't be working at all at 2.7v delivered power...