[SOLVED] Power supply Recom engine A600

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
I have this strange power supply for some years now. Recom A600 engine, made in Netherlands. Should I upgrade it, or leave it as it is.

I have an Intel i5 10400f with 16 giga ddr4 and a 1660ti gpu. Is it enough? Maybe I would like to change to 3060ti. Will it still hold even then?

Solution
This one? That's not even a 500w PSU for nowadays standards. It's dang old, launched in 2009, EOL in 2012 and group regulated. A big red flag to use with recent hardware and to use with any hardware at all. It's not reliable anymore.

Oh, and it's not made in the Netherlands. Recom is a dutch brand but all this stuff is made by Andyson in China.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

How old is the PSU mentioned in the title+thread's body? I'd invest in a reliably built unit since you've spent some good money on the rest of your hardware. Always remember that the PSU is the heart of your system. If it has a heart attack, it will take out everything or something it's hooked up to. Good quality units will die by themselves without knocking anyone/thing out.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Thank you for your fast answer. I remember now, it was like 70 dollars, because it has original 600 watts. Not fake 600 watts like some other. I think it was the year 2014.

Yes, you are right about the other components. Usually they break in 3 months, or hold forever(especially mainboards).

This one? That's not even a 500w PSU for nowadays standards. It's dang old, launched in 2009, EOL in 2012 and group regulated. A big red flag to use with recent hardware and to use with any hardware at all. It's not reliable anymore.

Oh, and it's not made in the Netherlands. Recom is a dutch brand but all this stuff is made by Andyson in China.

Solution

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
That's the one, like in the picture. I never had any trouble with it. How can you say its not even a 500w. It feels heavy and it's written 584 watts.

Dutch is netherland. Don't know if it's assembled in China.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
At least it's better than the chinese power supplies who are fake. Back then, this thing was as good as a Chieftain power supply. And don't tell me that is crap too.

At least it's better than the chinese power supplies who are fake.
Back in 2009 when it was released, yes but it's never been better than mediocore. In 2023 it's a lot worse than a very low end Corsair VS which is not recommended too for a system with recent hardware.

Back then, this thing was as good as a Chieftain power supply.
Never heard of Chieftain. Do you have a link to such PSU?

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Well, back in the day you only needed a simple PSU to run things. Like a fake chinese one. To me, Recom was one of the top quality back in the day. And it still works today with the newer 1660ti gpu.

Yes, I ment Super Flower. I just read on tom's hardware news, that it is a good quality one.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Yes. Here is the link: Surse Super Flower - PC Garage

I was thinking about Leadex 3 with gold certificate and 550 watts. There is also a cheaper one with 650 watts, but it says Legion HX and only 90% efficiency.

Can it hold for the new 3060ti? And if I want for example not to upgrade, and stay with the current 1660ti, should I still change from Recom to Super Flower?

Thank you.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Ok. I will do some research on this new firm. Never heard of it before. Only Chieftec and Corsair.

There is also Leadex 2 with 750 watts, but it costs more. I will think about it.