[SOLVED] Power supply recommendation for new build ?

Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm planning a new build and trying to found out what would be the right amount of power needed and which power supply would be a good choice.
I'm planning:
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (or Dark Hero if I can find one)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
64 or 128 gb of DDR4-3600 from G.Skill
RTX 3090 from Asus (probably Strix)
2 M.2 NVME (one is a 1 TB gen 3 and the other is a 512 GB gen 2)
2 Sata HD 7200 RPM

Power supply calculators gave me results going from 660 to 880 W. OuterVision recommended 760 W (with me doing some exaggerations like 16h/day of rendering).
I was thinking of 750W and going Corsair. The models I found were the RM, RMx and HXi.

Is this a good choice of model and wattage?

Solution
The Rmi is a very good series from Corsair. Can check where they stand i here,
or just google some reviews about it/them.
Hello everyone!

I'm planning a new build and trying to found out what would be the right amount of power needed and which power supply would be a good choice.
I'm planning:
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (or Dark Hero if I can find one)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
64 or 128 gb of DDR4-3600 from G.Skill
RTX 3090 from Asus (probably Strix)
2 M.2 NVME (one is a 1 TB gen 3 and the other is a 512 GB gen 2)
2 Sata HD 7200 RPM

Power supply calculators gave me results going from 660 to 880 W. OuterVision recommended 760 W (with me doing some exaggerations like 16h/day of rendering).
I was thinking of 750W and going Corsair. The models I found were the RM, RMx and HXi.

Is this a good choice of model and wattage?
Hello there my recommendation would be honestly a 1000W PSU Gold/Platinum about $250or more for a such beast of a build you also get longer warranty, good quality and you won't bother about it for years. And no upgrade issue for the future parts.

Jan 18, 2021
Hello there my recommendation would be honestly a 1000W PSU Gold/Platinum about $250or more for a such beast of a build you also get longer warranty, good quality and you won't bother about it for years. And no upgrade issue for the future parts.

1000W ?! That's a lot and well above any recommendation I had until now. Also, here in my location, it's twice the price. I'm not gonna be making overclock on the processor or graphics card. Is it really necessary this much power?

1000W ?! That's a lot and well above any recommendation I had until now. Also, here in my location, it's twice the price. I'm not gonna be making overclock on the processor or graphics card. Is it really necessary this much power?
No but the YouTuber I follow does recommends a 1000W psu for such system but if it's twice the price then it's not worth it go with a 850W psu thats the least I'll recommend.

Jan 18, 2021
The problem about the price: I'm from Brazil... so, this can get very expensive very quickly and easily, hahaha. Would love to be able to buy from one of these links, but I'm sure I'll be heavily taxed when they got into the country if I do.
What I could find here for 1000W is Corsair, RM, or HX (not the HXi that has the cable to monitor the power supply). The others are unavailable due to the pandemic. The one I found would be the equivalent of 400 dollars for you guys.
850W and 750W are easier to find... the one's I found are also Corsair RM, RMx, or HXi.

Jan 18, 2021
I was able to find these models available. Which would be better?

Corsair 750W 80 Plus Platinum Modular HX750i
CORSAIR MODULAR HX850I 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM
CORSAIR 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD RMX SERIES MODULAR RM1000X
Corsair 1000W 80 Plus Platinum Modular HX1000

Jan 18, 2021
So, I got my 3090... it's not the Strix I wanted 'cause I couldn't find one with a decent price, but is an Asus TUF OC.
I saw that Asus recommends 850W so I'm thinking in following the advice of sticking with a 1000W PSU.
I found 3 Corsair models for 1000 W: RMx, RMi and HX. I was thinking about the RMi to be able to use the software and see what is happening with the PSU. Is that a good choice or the RMx or HX would be better?
This is the picture for the RMi:
ArquivoExibir.aspx

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Too many threads about people runing into problems with an underpowered psu, as i said wouldn't go for 750watts with a 3090. Don't see the issue with choosing a 1000watt. The RMi is a good choice. Kinda depends how much more you have to pay for it.

Jan 18, 2021
Right now, I've found an RM1000i (the one I posted the picture) that has the same price of an HX850i. The HX1000 is a little more expensive than this HX850i. My doubt right now is if the RM1000i has quality enough for a build like this or I should ditch the interactivity and go for an HX1000. I was thinking a lot about buying the HX850i, but after seeing that Asus recommends 850W on the 3090 TUF webpage, I got a little worried that I should go for a little bit more. Asus is very inconsistent in this information though, 'cause the 3090 Strix page recommends a 750W PSU.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The Rmi is a very good series from Corsair. Can check where they stand i here,
or just google some reviews about it/them.

Solution