[SOLVED] Power supply seemingly died, but three days later is working perfectly fine.

Gyzr131

Reputable
May 24, 2017
So I've got what seems to be like a bizarre problem. The other day, I was reinstalling my CPU cooler, and when I went to turn the PC on, there was absolutely nothing happening. No power, no lights, nothing. So, as many others do, the first thing I thought was my PSU was faulty. I have the Corsair Vengeance 750w btw. So first thing I did was a paperclip test, and it seemed to work just fine. So I went about my troubleshooting thinking maybe it was my motherboard then. I couldn't truly find out if it was that or not (I still don't right now), so I re-re-installed my CPU cooler after taking the CPU out of its socket and putting it back in. Still didn't fix the problem. I was baffled. I didn't know what to do. My brother, who knows a bit more than me about PCs, woke up late in the afternoon when this was happening. He tried using a multimeter on specific parts, first the PSU. I was telling him it couldn't be the PSU because I had already tested it. What do you know, the multimeter was reading absolutely no power coming from it. So what did I do? The next day I went out to microcenter and bought me a new power supply while I would request an RMA for my "dead" one. That request is still being approved. When I got home, we fixed it. It was the power supply. After plugging it in, it turned on just nicely.

But.

Today is two days after going to microcenter, and I am still confused about how the "dead" power supply tested fine on my own, but later that day, it read no power. So today I retested it with the multimeter and went through every single pin on the 24-pin, CPU connector, and the GPU connector. All of them read exactly what they should for a working power supply. What?

Now my question is, how does this make any sense? The Corsair Vengeance PSU line is in the A tier on LTT's tier list, so should I be concerned if I continue to use it? Should I proceed with the RMA and get the replacement?

Or, could my motherboard possibly a problem?

I need answers.

Solution
Unless you and your brother did test the psu in different ways does it seem to sometimes power up and sometimes not, sounds like psu fault to me. Maybe your brother forgot to set the switch on the psu to "on", but otherwise if tested the same should it behave the same.

Don't think that the motherboard is creating this behaviour. If so would the new psu also show problems.

Don't really care what tier it's on in ltt's list, even the best psu's can give problems.

Gyzr131

Reputable
May 24, 2017
Since that new psu works doesn't it seem to be motherboard. Would just wait for that rma.
Could that at all explain why my first PSU wasn't providing any power, though? Maybe because it had just been plugged into the possibly faulty mobo? I just want to be safe, because I can request an RMA for my motherboard, and not go through with the one on my PSU

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you and your brother did test the psu in different ways does it seem to sometimes power up and sometimes not, sounds like psu fault to me. Maybe your brother forgot to set the switch on the psu to "on", but otherwise if tested the same should it behave the same.

Don't think that the motherboard is creating this behaviour. If so would the new psu also show problems.

Don't really care what tier it's on in ltt's list, even the best psu's can give problems.

Solution