[SOLVED] Power Supply Selection Questions

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to build a new gaming PC either by the end of this year or early next year. I am considering the AMD Ryzen 5900X for the CPU and the Radeon RX 6800XT or Nvidia RTX 3070 or 3080 for the video card. I do not plan to overclock. The case will be either a mid- or full-ATX desktop tower. My main purpose will be gaming, while a secondary task will be some basic drone video editing. Now, I have been researching power supplies to be more knowledgeable in my selection when I order the PC parts but I have some questions.

1. I would like an efficient power supply to reduce heat and, if possible, reduce my electricity bill for the three to four years that I use this PC. It seems that 80 Plus Platinum and Titanium are the most efficient, but are really expensive. Which 80 Plus certification would be the best bang for my buck or provide a proper balance between efficiency and price?

2. I know I need a power supply that provides the proper wattage for my gaming PC for both the initial build and future component upgrades as well as fit inside my case. Am I better off with an ATX, ATX12V, EPS12V, ATX12V/EPS12V or other type of power supply?

Thanks.