Question power supply shutting down on load

Jul 23, 2019
hoping someone can help ive serched evrywhere online and cant find a problem exactly like mine and what i do find nobody has a solution for.
due to lightning my computer fried and im replacing everything with what i can afford.
biostar ta970 motherboad (so far turning out to be a huge p.o.s)
amd fx 8320 8 core overclocked to 4.4ghz
16gb ddr3 ram at 1600
228gb solid state drive
2 2TB hhd
msi r9 390 8gb graphics card
xion 630 watt power supply
windows 10 pro
it runs fine just web browsing, youtube, downloaded movies. but as soon as i launch any game doesnt matter what from minecraft to gta5 it imediatly crashes the whole computer led light go off in the case and i have to unplug it and hook it back up before it will start again. ive tried underclocking the gpu and going back to factory 3.5 clock on cpu to no change.
however if i swap out the graphics card with a radion rx 560 4gb it will launch every game with no problem.
swapped out the psu with a coolmaster 600 watt and same thing with the bigger grapgics card.
my question is, is my computer just overloading these power supplys and i just buy a lot bigger one or could something else be at fault? please help id love to use this better graphics card.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
CPU 125W more when overclocked
GPU 275W more when overclocked
rest of system @ 100W
a larger unit would not hurt, a higher quality unit would be suggested, coolermaster PSU are not known for being the best and I never heard of XION.
are the power supplies overheating? your running close to the limit and they are most efficient at 50%, at 500W a 750W or better would result in a cooler running PSU

the rx 560 is no where near as hungry as a 390.

Jul 23, 2019
I didn't figure they was the best brands they was just all I had. I have no idea if they are overheating I dont have a thermal gun and neither support any monitoring. I did do a test because I was curious and I plugged up the graphics card to the second psu just sitting on the floor and jumped the green wire to ground to make it come on and when launching a game like that the psu plugged up to the card shut down and the computer just black screened but did stay running.

Jul 23, 2019
Something else I was wondering about is my old asus motherboard had a 8 prong power hookup for the cpu and this biostar only has a 4 pin. Does that have anything to do with the pcie power as well? I had read that a cheap motherboard like this sometimes cant run power happy cards

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the 4 and 8-pin are for the CPU and you can deliver enough wattage through a 4 pin for that CPU, My 125W AMD CPU uses one and has for 9 years. you would not be able to run a 220W CPU (ala fx-9590) without the 8 pin aux CPU power.

the PCIe card will draw extra power directly from the PSU through the 6/6+2 pin PCIe power plugs.

Would a 750 watt corsair psu be any good from best buy? I'd hate to spend a hundred bucks on this and it be too small as well. Thanks y'all for the help.

Which Corsair 750W power supply from Best Buy?

And why do you think you need 750W? That's enough power for SLI and a Xeon!!

A good 450W or 550W is all you need.

And why Best Buy? They don't really have a good selection. They have either junk low wattage PSUs (EVGA, Insignia, etc.) or total overkill for what you need (Corsair RM850x, EVGA G! 850W, etc.)

All you need is something like a Corsair CX450 or a beQuiet Pure Power 11 or a BitFenix Formula 450W.

They don't have any of those at Best Buy. :(

Sadly here in Arkansas best buy is the only computer parts store we have. I want a little bigger psu because I have been slowly expanding on this pc and would rather have too much than not enough. I was hoping this one was a decent one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...tx-power-supply-black/8324202.p?skuId=8324202

Amazon.com?

The CX750M isn't bad.

And it probably is a graphics card problem since you've tried two different PSUs with the exact same results.

Jul 23, 2019
Well I got the new power supply in and my problem has changed but still there. It doesn't completely crash the computer the psu stays on but when I launch a game it looks light it's missing a bunch of pixels on the screen then goes black and all my keyboard and mouse light start flashing. The graphics card was still in its packaging when I bought it online but it was from a individual so I cant much return the card. But still it's never been used until now

Well I got the new power supply in and my problem has changed but still there. It doesn't completely crash the computer the psu stays on but when I launch a game it looks light it's missing a bunch of pixels on the screen then goes black and all my keyboard and mouse light start flashing. The graphics card was still in its packaging when I bought it online but it was from a individual so I cant much return the card. But still it's never been used until now

Sorry. :( Sounds like the guy sold you a dud. :(