Power Supply Size Question

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I plan on upgrading my system in the future and am currently using a Corsair TX650w PSU.

Will it work with this setup:

i5-4670k (probably wait until after Haswell)
16GB (2x8gb)
500GB HDD x2
240GB SSD x1
120mm Case Fans x6 (taking 3 from old case and putting them in new one)
r9 290

Thanks

(when using this tool, it states I should have a minimum of 750watts due to the 3 HDD)
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon R9 290 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12...

TheRealShoe

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
The power consumption on the drives is something you shouldn't really need to worry about, they should be at idle most of the time anyways, and again, I don't think you will be running them all at full speed simultaneously. You will be fine with 650 watts.

My only recommendation would be to get 2x4GB instead of 8, there is really no need for more than 8GB, and it gives you the option to upgrade down the line. Also you would need to upgrade your motherboard, and a CPU cooler is recommended, since you are getting the "k" version processor. The Cooler Master EVO is really good and cheap.

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Yea I will be upgrading my Mobo to the new Broadwell or whatever it is next year I'm thinking along with the CPU. Also I already got the 16GB since it was the same price as 8GB.

For a system using a single Radeon R9 290 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Corsair TX Series TX650 (SKU # 75-001315 / CP-9020038) power supply unit, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon R9 290 graphics card.

The Corsair TX650 is also Haswell Compatible.

Each hard disk drive is usually allotted an average of 10 Watts of power consumption while in use and 8 Watts when idle for power supply requirement calculations.

Solution