Question Power supply smoke and no display.

SubwayWarrior18

Commendable
Dec 31, 2020
Hello. I recently just bought a new power supply for my computer due to not having any display and my power supply made my PC started smoking my computer. The power supply that I bought recently was a G-Skill 650 Watt PSU. I somehow managed to prevent my PC from smoking again but my RGB fans stopped spinning. It was a loose cable somewhere in the computer. Do I need to replace the PSU again or try out all of the other components?

Hello. I recently just bought a new power supply for my computer due to not having any display and my power supply made my PC started smoking my computer. The power supply that I bought recently was a G-Skill 650 Watt PSU. I somehow managed to prevent my PC from smoking again but my RGB fans stopped spinning. It was a loose cable somewhere in the computer. Do I need to replace the PSU again or try out all of the other components?
  • G.Skill does not have a 650 watt PSU in their current inventory AFAIK. Did you buy this used?
  • When you installed it did you use any of the old cables or did you use only cables from the G.Skill replacement unit? Generally speaking, PSU cables are not interchangeable.

SubwayWarrior18

Commendable
Dec 31, 2020
  • G.Skill does not have a 650 watt PSU in their current inventory AFAIK. Did you buy this used?
  • When you installed it did you use any of the old cables or did you use only cables from the G.Skill replacement unit? Generally speaking, PSU cables are not interchangeable.
Yeah. The only old cable that I used was a SATA cable. I still use an Asus motherboard and I'm still getting no display.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That is magic smoke. Once it's let out the item doesn't work. It's much like Pandora's Box.

Chances are high that you have damaged more than just the PSU. It's typically not a good idea to replace things without a firm understanding of why you are doing so. I would move forward by asking how the no display issue made you think it was (only) the PSU, but at this stage is mostly a moot point it seems.