Power supply sparked but nothing's wrong?

Dec 26, 2018
I started up a game and joining into a server to play after about a minute or so, my Power supply sparked for about 2-5 seconds then stopped for 2 seconds before I turned it off on the sockets. I saw the sparks coming from the PSU out of the back along with a burnt smell. Upon inspect I can't see anything wrong from from looking inside and everything works just as usual... I'm afraid to leave my PC for a short while just incase I come back to see my entire room on fire... (I CANNOT open the case due to the warranty being void)

Solution
If you're in the U.S., a company which voids the warranty just because you opened the case is breaking the law.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

However, since you imply the computer is still under warranty, the proper remedy is to replace the computer via warranty for the bad PSU. The PSU is either defective, or is now damaged. Both can destroy other components in the computer, if not light your house on fire. So it should not be used unless the PSU is replaced.
If you're in the U.S., a company which voids the warranty just because you opened the case is breaking the law.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

However, since you imply the computer is still under warranty, the proper remedy is to replace the computer via warranty for the bad PSU. The PSU is either defective, or is now damaged. Both can destroy other components in the computer, if not light your house on fire. So it should not be used unless the PSU is replaced.

Solution
Dec 26, 2018
I am not in the U.S, I'm from the U.K. The warranty ends in July but my house mate seems to have thrown out the boxes that came with the PC. I do not know if the boxes are needed to be returned with warrant or something?

It sounds like the worst case is that you are buying and installing a power supply. That isn't hard to do, should be many YouTube videos of how to do it. However, if you can have the unit swapped out, that is probably the proper way. That said, if you get a new one that has the same type power supply, you may have that issue again. Maybe the best option would be replace the power supply with a quality unit and then you know you are set for a few years.

TRENDING THREADS