Question Power supply suggestions?

Dbish23

Prominent
Apr 5, 2019
I'm building my first computer, and I've run into a problem.

My mobo is a MSI mpg 2390 gaming pro carbon. It has two CPU power connectors, CPU1 requires an 8 pin and CPU2 requires 4. I bought a EVGA 1000GQ, which is fully modular.

The problem I'm running into is that the mobo and the power supply both require the same pin combination, but the cables that came with the power supply have different combos on each end. I bought a different 1000w EVGA, and ran into the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
The motherboard and the power supply ABSOLUTELY DO NOT require the same pin combination. One end of ALL the cables is for connecting into the power supply while the other end is ONLY for connecting to what it was intended to go to such as EPS (CPU), ATX (Motherboard), PCI/PEG (Graphics cards), SATA power (Storage devices or some other hardware that use SATA power) or Molex which there are still a few devices out there that may require one of those.

As for your EPS CPU power connectors, only the two four pin connectors from the power supply are absolutely necessary. The other four pin EPS is only needed for extreme overclocking, as in competitive or LN2 style overclocking. Normal overclocking will not need it. It won't hurt to use it if your power supply has four EPS 12v CPU power connectors, but it's not a required connection for normal usage.

The connectors for the PSU are KEYED to specifically only fit the PSU, and only specific matching sockets on the PSU. The other ends are keyed to fit whatever they need to plug into as well and the PSU and other ends are not in any way interchangeable. There are few, if any, power supplies that actually have an 8 pin EPS connector. Practically all of them have 4+4 connectors or in some case a 4+4 and another 4+4, and they should not be confused with 8 pin PCI/PEG connectors used to power graphics cards because they are completely different. Most of the time, any reasonably decent quality power supply will label the ends of the connectors with what they go to such as EPS, ATX, PCI/PEG, etc.

Dbish23

Prominent
Apr 5, 2019
The motherboard and the power supply ABSOLUTELY DO NOT require the same pin combination. One end of ALL the cables is for connecting into the power supply while the other end is ONLY for connecting to what it was intended to go to such as EPS (CPU), ATX (Motherboard), PCI/PEG (Graphics cards), SATA power (Storage devices or some other hardware that use SATA power) or Molex which there are still a few devices out there that may require one of those.

As for your EPS CPU power connectors, only the two four pin connectors from the power supply are absolutely necessary. The other four pin EPS is only needed for extreme overclocking, as in competitive or LN2 style overclocking. Normal overclocking will not need it. It won't hurt to use it if your power supply has four EPS 12v CPU power connectors, but it's not a required connection for normal usage.

The connectors for the PSU are KEYED to specifically only fit the PSU, and only specific matching sockets on the PSU. The other ends are keyed to fit whatever they need to plug into as well and the PSU and other ends are not in any way interchangeable. There are few, if any, power supplies that actually have an 8 pin EPS connector. Practically all of them have 4+4 connectors or in some case a 4+4 and another 4+4, and they should not be confused with 8 pin PCI/PEG connectors used to power graphics cards because they are completely different. Most of the time, any reasonably decent quality power supply will label the ends of the connectors with what they go to such as EPS, ATX, PCI/PEG, etc.

Hi Darkbreeze, thank you for responding! Unfortunately it's not letting me attach pictures, but my mobo and power supply both have the same pin combo. Sorry for the very basic example below, but they both have this combo.

U [ ] [ ] U
[ ] U U [ ]

The cable I'm looking at is labeled CPU, and has the 4+4 connectors. But the 4+4 connector pattern is this below.

U [ ] U U
[ ] U U U

Thank you for helping!

In order to attach pictures, do the following. Upload each image, separately, to a hosting site like imgur.com or tinypic.com. Copy the "direct link for layouts" code provided by the hosting site after uploading the image. Make sure the link ends in an image format like .jpg, .png. .bmp, etc., and then on the toolbar above each post where it shows this image:

2ltkkgo.jpg

Click on that button on the toolbar and paste you code from the hosting site, then click on insert. If you prefer to use an image gallery, which contains multiple pictures but does not end in an image format, you will need to instead copy the URL of the gallery and then in the drop down menu on the toolbar above each post click where you see the three dots and select "insert media" and then paste the URL to the image gallery and then click insert.

Dbish23

Prominent
Apr 5, 2019
In order to attach pictures, do the following. Upload each image, separately, to a hosting site like imgur.com or tinypic.com. Copy the "direct link for layouts" code provided by the hosting site after uploading the image. Make sure the link ends in an image format like .jpg, .png. .bmp, etc., and then on the toolbar above each post where it shows this image:

2ltkkgo.jpg

Click on that button on the toolbar and paste you code from the hosting site, then click on insert. If you prefer to use an image gallery, which contains multiple pictures but does not end in an image format, you will need to instead copy the URL of the gallery and then in the drop down menu on the toolbar above each post click where you see the three dots and select "insert media" and then paste the URL to the image gallery and then click insert.

Here the album of the mobo, power supply and cord. The other end's pin combo is the same as the

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's the side that fits into the 8pin cpu_1 on the motherboard. You'll have issues if trying to plug them in separately, they are tabbed. You'll need to join them together to make a single 4+4 connector instead of seperates. Usually that means sliding one side up a little then letting it fall back into position under the tab. Then it'll seat correctly.

That unit comes with 2x of those cables that are identical 4+4, so if you choose, you can use 1 for the 8pin and 1 side of the other 4+4 on cpu_2 4pin header.

The split side goes to mobo, the solid side goes to psu cpu_1/cpu_2 connections.

Last edited:
^^Exactly. Those two connectors "lock" together by a slide tab, and THEN you install them on the 8 pin EPS socket on the motherboard. The other end will plug into the power supply where it says CPU 1 and SHOULD be a single 8 pin connector that is not split up into a 4+4 like the other end.

All connectors on the PSU end should be single plugs. Connectors on the motherboard or device end of the cable can be single, like the ATX connector, but most are multiple plugs.