Power supply surges detected; twice

Queth9

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I've been struggling with time increasing stuttering on my computer for quite a while and figured it could be due to my GPU being overheated. I upgraded my GPU from a 780 to a 1080 and it worked fine for one day. Now my computer has turned off twice, with the message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!" (gyazo screenshot). I thought of it as kind of odd, as the 1080 uses 180W and the 780 250W. Does anyone know what causes/a fix for the problem?
I have a coolermaster G750 PSU.

https://gyazo.com/a590213e642b5ea1f3ffca409c311c41
^Other components in the screenshot!

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Solution

Obviously, you need a better...

Obviously, you need a better PSU. I would change it ASAP. It's not that it's not powerfull enough, it's that it's poor quality.
Get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1 if you never want to SLI
or this if you do: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfJwrH/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Solution

GhostKavik

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

Did your PC work fine before with the 780?

Queth9

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

The computer stuttered, but had no problems with power surging before the upgrade,

InvalidError

Titan
If I had to hazard a guess, the PSU simply lacks sufficient output filtering to absorb the load transients the new GPU puts out on top of what the 4770k already did. In some cases, it can also be the GPU putting out excessive noise on the supply.

As has been mentioned above, this is a recurring theme.

GhostKavik

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

My new system is a i7-6700k with 980 Ti powered by a Corsair RM850 Gold Efficiency PSU. I had the ASUS Anti Surge tripping off everyday. After reseating all of my cables and still tripping, I then used a PSU tester (Thermaltake Dr Power II) and it said all my voltages were within limit and no errors shown. After that, I read a bit more and some people said that old building wiring can cause enough surge to cause issues - so I bought a Cyberpower UPS with AutoSine and I haven't had an issue since.

mcaveyx

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016

Hi I have this same problem. No surges without the card in. As soon as I put the 1080 in, the asus anti surge message comes up consistently upon reboot. I have a evga supernova 850 p2 psu.

I am considering ordering a corsair ax860i. Just hate to shell out the cash..praying it's not the card.

System Specs: i7 6700k; Asus Maximus Formula VIII Motherboard; G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200; H115i Cooler; EVGA PSU 850 P2, 1080 GTX

mcaveyx

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
I might have figured out what is causing it. I plugged in the DVI cable rather than the 2 DP wires and no surge messages anymore. I switched to DP because the 1080 only has 1 dvi. What's strange is the Amazon Basics dp cables are 1.2 compliant(sometimes a 20th pin causes issues; 1.2 disables the 20th pin?). Seems amazon is not labeling the cables properly. I guess I should have researched the DP cables some more. Amazing!

I'll update this if anything else changes.

gontos

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

I am having the same issue.... Had Installed GTX 970 with no problems, when I installed the 1070 g1 gaming pc started to reboot.... If I plug the GTX 970 everything is ok again...the same with the GTX 460... Only with the 1070 I have this problems.. Power supply surges detected etc... I have an ASUS Z97 - A, I5 4690k, 16 GB of RAM. Did you find a solution???

BulbasaurUseVinewhip

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Unfortunately I have the same issue as you.
I have an RM750 power supply. Replaced the 580 (lol) with a 1070 a few months ago and I started getting occasional surges ever since. Sometimes I might only even just be on the desktop/web browsing when it occurs, sometimes it occurs instantly right after booting, sometimes it occurs a few times in a row and other times it can occur after hours or even after days. It's random.

I've checked a few sites to get an estimate of my power usage from all my components etc. and it appears my PSU should be able to handle the load fine. Might just avoid ASUS boards whenever I next upgrade cause I've read in a few places they've had this surge issue.

I've already tried re-seating all the cables of the PSU and GPU but the issue remains.

I'm using the DP cable that came with the card when I bought it too, I don't know if the type of cable you use could possible cause a surge though since it's external?

Hopefully I can find a fix cause having to RMA the card is going to be an annoyance & I doubt it'd be the card anyway after reading this thread.

I've also tried a fresh install of Windows on a new drive and tried updating the bios and not updating it etc. and that didn't appear to fix it.. I actually felt like maybe it even increased the surges after I had fully updated my BIOS prior to the fresh Windows install.

I guess when I get home today I'll reseat the card to the other slot on the board and see if it has any impact.
I haven't got another PSU to test with unfortunately, so it's going to be a bit of a bastard to troubleshoot.

My specs are:
i5-4670k
16GB RAM
Asus Z87-a
windforce 1070 gtx
RM750 PSU

Edit:
Got another surge not long after my post. I wasn't even doing anything graphic intensive, just web browsing.
Tried taking the card out & placing it in another slot on the board.
Boot up.. instant surge detection. So there goes that hopeful idea :(

I'm going to try update my bios again but I don't think I'm going to have much luck fixing this. The only thing I can think to try next maybe is to put the card in my girlfriends machine for a few days and see if she experiences any surges, but she has an ASUS board too.. so it's not really a very good process of elimination if the issue could potentially be with ASUS boards.

BulbasaurUseVinewhip

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I seem to have fixed this issue for myself now.
It's been ongoing a while and I was a bit too lazy to look at it for ages haha

After flushing the DNS and updating everything and removing components and swapping them around etc. I was still pretty sure it wasn't a physical fault just cause I seem to have come across so many threads over the internet relating to similar issues.

Eventually I tried changing the power settings in the Nvidia control panel and I feel like my machines ran pretty stable to assume it's fixed now.. i was getting pretty pissed off cause it almost seemed like it was getting worse & it had got to the point where I couldn't play a game or finish reading an article on a webpage etc. without a stupid surge reboot occurring. Haven't had a single issue since I made this change.

Steps to make this change are:
> Navigate to Control Panel
> Select Nvidia Control Panel
> Within the 3D settings area, select "Manage 3D settings"
> Set "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer maximum performance".