Question Power Supply Switched off/ Power Button hit to clear power!!

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I was changing my GPU to a new one and turned my PC off and when I turned it off, I hit the power switch to O to turn the power supply off. I then hit the power button to clear the power from all components and the motherboard flicker but turned off. Now my issue is that the entire PC won't power on. Please assist as I don't know if I caused the motherboard to go bad or the power supply. The power supply is a 750watt EVGA G2 Gold rated, and the motherboard is a MSI MPG Z390 Gaming plus. I can't get anything to fire at this point.

Thank you for the help

Ralston18

Titan
Did you hit the PSU power switch to 0 before or after using the Windows Power icon to turn off the PC?

If before then one consequence could be corrupted OS files and Windows unable to boot.

However, there should still be some signs of life via motherboard LEDs, etc..

How old is that EVGA PSU? Heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

What was the original reason for changing to a new GPU?

GPUs (old and new): make, model?

Double check all internal and external power connections via the applicable User Guides/Manuals for Motherboard, GPU(s), PSU, and case.

Hopefully there may just be something improperly connected. Or simply loose.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
I fixed it by just removing the power supply cord and putting it back into the power supply and it fired right up. Why would that occur in this case? It's not mining but I do game and I got a 3060Ti at a good price so I switched to it from a 2060 GPU. I am a bit confused why the power supply would not send power from it, just happy it's working again. Should I not switch the power supply off and then hit the power button? I heard this helps clear power from hardware and it's a good way to make sure no power is being sent from the power supply to the GPU or CPU or any hardware component. It seemed to hurt me in this case.

Thank you for the help.