[SOLVED] Power Supply the cause of CPU overheating?

Dec 28, 2021
Hello!

I got a RM850W PSU for xmas by Corsair and ever since then my CPU started overheating.

My CPU being a Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz

Reactions: sizzling
Solution
I restarted BIOS through removal of CMOS battery, in order to even write and be on the forum here I have to bring down voltage for my CPU down to 0.875V and my CPUs clock speed down to 2.2GHz in order to even achieve a good temp that wouldn't be 80c or 90c idle. I have done this numerous times, waiting for a new CPU cooler it's a Noctua NH-U9S, it fits my socket and everything. So here's hoping it works but if not, I need to know if there's anything else I should look out for as my thermal paste is Nt-H1 3.5g and through following the guide it says it's recommended to do a dot of like 3-4mm in diameter of paste in the center, but as I have seen this doesn't fully fill the CPU, should I apply small small dots at the edges of my CPU...
Neither of those is the case, my CPU cooler is lodged and not tightly screwed in but stable and unable to be moved, and the fan is spinning just fine.
If the cpu is overheating and it wasn't before and you have not changed the cpu voltage (in BIOS or through software) then the cooler not doing its job. It may seem secure but it only takes the slightest misalignment for it not to be as effective. Id remove the cooler, clean off old paste, repaste and remount.

Dec 28, 2021
If the cpu is overheating and it wasn't before and you have not changed the cpu voltage (in BIOS or through software) then the cooler not doing its job. It may seem secure but it only takes the slightest misalignment for it not to be as effective. Id remove the cooler, clean off old paste, repaste and remount.

I restarted BIOS through removal of CMOS battery, in order to even write and be on the forum here I have to bring down voltage for my CPU down to 0.875V and my CPUs clock speed down to 2.2GHz in order to even achieve a good temp that wouldn't be 80c or 90c idle. I have done this numerous times, waiting for a new CPU cooler it's a Noctua NH-U9S, it fits my socket and everything. So here's hoping it works but if not, I need to know if there's anything else I should look out for as my thermal paste is Nt-H1 3.5g and through following the guide it says it's recommended to do a dot of like 3-4mm in diameter of paste in the center, but as I have seen this doesn't fully fill the CPU, should I apply small small dots at the edges of my CPU as well?

I restarted BIOS through removal of CMOS battery, in order to even write and be on the forum here I have to bring down voltage for my CPU down to 0.875V and my CPUs clock speed down to 2.2GHz in order to even achieve a good temp that wouldn't be 80c or 90c idle. I have done this numerous times, waiting for a new CPU cooler it's a Noctua NH-U9S, it fits my socket and everything. So here's hoping it works but if not, I need to know if there's anything else I should look out for as my thermal paste is Nt-H1 3.5g and through following the guide it says it's recommended to do a dot of like 3-4mm in diameter of paste in the center, but as I have seen this doesn't fully fill the CPU, should I apply small small dots at the edges of my CPU as well?
RM series are great PSU's...and very quiet. That's because their fans don't even spin most of the time and yours probably never.

The problem could be your case fan arrangement may have depended on the fan in the old PSU spinning constantly to help exhaust hot air. To make up for that loss of air flow speeding up your case fans...or adding a few if you've any open spots...might do the trick. Fans in front pulling in cool air, fans in back and top pulling it out. That U9S cooler (I have one) is a bit small even for a 3600 so will absolutely requires good case ventilation to work well for you.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 28, 2021
RM series are great PSU's...and very quiet. That's because their fans don't even spin most of the time and yours probably never.

The problem could be your case fan arrangement may have depended on the fan in the old PSU spinning constantly to help exhaust hot air. To make up for that loss of air flow speeding up your case fans...or adding a few if you've any open spots...might do the trick. Fans in front pulling in cool air, fans in back and top pulling it out. That U9S cooler (I have one) is a bit small even for a 3600 so will absolutely requires good case ventilation to work well for you.

You are correct, I popped open my case to see it is infact not spinning, but my other components aren't hot, only my CPU.