[SOLVED] Power supply to MB question

Jan 22, 2021
Hi,

I'm new here and hoping to get some help so I don't run the risk of letting the smoke out of a new build I'm doing. I've got a Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Gold power supply and a MSI Z490 Godlike motherboard. The MB has a 6 pin ATX power connector. The power supply doesn't have a socket (right terminology I hope? ) labeled for that. It has red 8 pin PCIE and black 8 pin peripheral sockets. Will connecting an 8 pin PCIE from the PS with a 6 pin cable - one that has a disconnectable 2 pins, leaving 6 to connect - to the ATX connector on the MB work? My thinking is there's got to be something that will work since the MB and PS are both current products. I hope!!!

Thanks much for any help!

Solution
There is no need to connect everything. Are you gonna do Liquid Nitrogen overclocking? 1 8 pin power for the CPU at the top is enough and the one at the bottom you don't connect it.

Z390 godlike. Same thing.

The PCIE_PWR1 is NOT needed unless you're running a SLI GPU setup or if you're using a lot of the lanes and needs extra power for stability.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I'm new here and hoping to get some help so I don't run the risk of letting the smoke out of a new build I'm doing. I've got a Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Gold power supply and a MSI Z490 Godlike motherboard. The MB has a 6 pin ATX power connector. The power supply doesn't have a socket (right terminology I hope? ) labeled for that. It has red 8 pin PCIE and black 8 pin peripheral sockets. Will connecting an 8 pin PCIE from the PS with a 6 pin cable - one that has a disconnectable 2 pins, leaving 6 to connect - to the ATX connector on the MB work? My thinking is there's got to be something that will work since the MB and PS are both current products. I hope!!!

Thanks much for any help!
I see two 8 pin motherboard power connectors near the CPU in the pictures and a 6 PIN CPI power connector on the opposite end of the motherboard. You should be able to use an 8 pin PCIe power cable for the 6 pin PCIe power plug.

Your board has 2 8 pin CPU power connector. You only need 1 connected on those.

Your board has a PCIE 6 pin connector at the bottom of the board. This is not a CPU power connector.

That PSU already has the 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU cable on the semi-modular part and I'm pretty sure that extra 6 pin at the bottom doesn't need to be connected right?

These extra connector like the second 8 pin CPU power connector and the 6 pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the board are just there for extra power in case you do extreme overclocking. That's a z490 godlike afterall.

Jan 22, 2021
I see two 8 pin motherboard power connectors near the CPU in the pictures and a 6 PIN CPI power connector on the opposite end of the motherboard. You should be able to use an 8 pin PCIe power cable for the 6 pin PCIe power plug.

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Do I understand correctly that the 6 pin connector labeled ATX is actually (or also?) a PCIE connector? Its the one right next to 2 USB connectors.

Jan 22, 2021
Your board has 2 8 pin CPU power connector. You only need 1 connected on those.

Your board has a PCIE 6 pin connector at the bottom of the board. This is not a CPU power connector.

That PSU already has the 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU cable on the semi-modular part and I'm pretty sure that extra 6 pin at the bottom doesn't need to be connected right?

These extra connector like the second 8 pin CPU power connector and the 6 pin PCIe connector at the bottom of the board are just there for extra power in case you do extreme overclocking. That's a z490 godlike afterall.

Maybe it's my compulsive side but I'd like to be able to connect everything I've got an option for. I'm beginning to get the picture that the connector they call ATX is PCIE so connecting an 8 to 6 pin cable from the PCIE on the PS will be okay. Did I get that right?

Thanks!

There is no need to connect everything. Are you gonna do Liquid Nitrogen overclocking? 1 8 pin power for the CPU at the top is enough and the one at the bottom you don't connect it.

Z390 godlike. Same thing.

The PCIE_PWR1 is NOT needed unless you're running a SLI GPU setup or if you're using a lot of the lanes and needs extra power for stability.

Last edited:
Solution
There is only ONE kind of six pin connector. There are no multiple versions. All of the supplemental auxiliary 6 pin PCI connections on motherboards are exactly the same as the six pin connections on graphics cards. There are NO special six pin auxiliary connections for motherboards, because if there were, we'd know about them.

So if you want to connect that PCIE_PWR1 you're gonna have to use a PCIe 6+2 cable and only use the 6 pin on that 6+2. You don't need it tho.

Jan 22, 2021
Awesome. Thanks so much Nemesia and kanewolf. I've done quite a few builds in the past, but always just plugging stuff in without having much understanding about how everything works.

Out of curiosity, where would the unnecessary power go to if everything was connected up? I'm thinking maybe just supplying more amps than would be needed?

Awesome. Thanks so much Nemesia and kanewolf. I've done quite a few builds in the past, but always just plugging stuff in without having much understanding about how everything works.

Out of curiosity, where would the unnecessary power go to if everything was connected up? I'm thinking maybe just supplying more amps than would be needed?

Your system draw as much power as needed. No unnecessary power is redirected anywhere. So even if you plug the extra 8 pin and the 6 pin PCIE_PWR1 your system will not draw more power.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS