Power supply trouble

fjames7

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi guys

Okay so today I turned on my rig for the very first time, immediately I heard a pop and smoke appeared from the case. The fan was Casecom 500w £16 on ebuyer. GPU - gigabyte gtx 650. CPU AMD athlon ii x3 450

On the back of the psu it had stickered 230v but I used my ps3 lead 250v could this have blown it?

Also most importantly will my other components be ok? Or are they fried as well I really don't know and appreciate any help :(

Just a note - after the pop i unplugged everything from my cpu from all my motherboard etc. then plugged it in separately turned It on and nothing happened no spinning fan...nothing.

Unfortunately there is a real chance they may be fried. You won't know until you try with a new (better!) power supply. But as long as there's no apparent damage, there's definitely still a chance nothing was harmed. I hope that turns out to be the case.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yes as stated you don't drive a porche on 50 dollar wal-mart tires and expect to do great things with it.
Why would you ever settle on a POS supply?
My rule of thumb is that the psu should be a recognisable brand with an 80+ certification and not be cheaper than a blue ray drive! lol
Seriously...Corsair, seasonic, PCP&C, and Antec are the ones to get!

Update:
Being as the PSU "Popped" the second it was powered on might mean your components are alright!

1st... I would pull all the components from the case.
2nd... I would get a decent power supply and hook up the very basics:
Motherboard.
CPU.
RAM.
Graphics Card.
You can connect a monitor and see if the BIOS screen displays.
Then I would start the system up by shorting the pwr swtch pins on the mobo.(check manual for the locaton of these)
Listen for beeps and report back.
If that goes good you might be ok you should hear only 1 beep if there is a speaker on the mobo.
Report back..JQ