Question Power Supply turning on weirdly with a paper clip

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
So I've had some weird problems with my PC (have a separate thread for it) and I bought a new power supply. It's a beQuiet 700W System Power 80+ gold. What's weird is when I try to do the paper clip trick with it, it won't turn on. I short circuit pins 3-4 and turn on the power supply but it doesn't spin and there is no output when we measure with the multimeter. What's even weirder is the moment we turn off the power supply the fans spin for less than a second then stop again. In order to replicate it we have to take out the paper clip then put it back in. I've never seen something like this and am wondering whether this is a faulty power supply.

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
So I've had some weird problems with my PC (have a separate thread for it) and I bought a new power supply. It's a beQuiet 700W System Power 80+ gold. What's weird is when I try to do the paper clip trick with it, it won't turn on. I short circuit pins 3-4 and turn on the power supply but it doesn't spin and there is no output when we measure with the multimeter. What's even weirder is the moment we turn off the power supply the fans spin for less than a second then stop again. In order to replicate it we have to take out the paper clip then put it back in. I've never seen something like this and am wondering whether this is a faulty power supply.