Power supply unit

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hello folks, i have a question about my power supply position. I have a Coolmaster Elite 430 case, as well as a Kingwin 850 Watt power supply, with a 140mm fan i beleive. I have 5 case fans, one in the front, and one on the side blowing in, and two on the top and one on the rear blowing out. I have an amd radeon 6870 GPU, and stock cpu heatsink. My question would be, should i have the power supply fan facing up, like it is, blowing air into my massive GPu fan, or since i have slots underneath my psu can i flip it over and have it blowing its air outside the case. I have clearance underneath my case, and all of my case fans are 120mm fans. So any comments on the position would help, or even the position of my case fans. My idol temps are 8 degrees celsius on my cpu, and 20,40,34 for my TMPIN temps. When im playing games, my cpu goes up to about 29 degrees, and my gpu up to about 50-60 degrees celsius. All of these numbers come from Hardware monitor CPUID. So thanks for reading, and i look forward to tips and comments.

D

Deleted member 217926

A power supply fan sucks air in and blows the hot air out the back of your computer. If you case has a cutout or holes in the bottom and room for the power supply to get air then the fan should be down so it sucks in fresh air from under the computer and not hot air from inside your case. If there are no holes or a cutout in the bottom of your case then the fan has to be up. The fan is up in my Antec 1200 so it sucks in air from inside the case and blows it out the back.

D

Deleted member 217926

Incorrect. If a case has a bottom cutout then the fan should face down so that the power supply is getting fresh air and not running hot air from inside the case through itself. Some cases such as my Antec 1200 do not have a cutout so in that case yes the fan should face the motherboard.

Edit: Just finished Deus Ex for the second time myself. Great game.

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
This is the typical response ive seen, i guess i will have to test and see if its blowing in or out, then go from there, i have pretty good airflow into the case, so it wont be a problem if its sucking air in. I appreciate your thoughts though, just gotta open er up and see whats up

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I just rearranged the fans on my rig and bought one to attach the vent and air tunnel on my see-through side window. I have that blowing air directly onto the cpu fan through a wind-tunnel - i then took the fan on the back below the psu and turned it to blow air out - i have a fan on the front bottom also blowing air in....although i have not a single difference in temps.

D

Deleted member 217926

As long as you are air cooling front and side fans are intake and rear and top fans are exhaust.

ALL power supplies exhaust hot air out the back. No exceptions. Place your hand at the back of the power supply while the computer is on. You will feel warm air.

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

agreed - the ultra mid tower case i have came with the lower back fan blowing in which was stupid. So i turned it around. Lame design from a pretty popular case co.

I've never had a case with a bottom cutout, so I did not take that into consideration.

But even if I did, I think I would still rather suck the air out of my case rather than just ventiliate my power supply. So I would still mount it with the fan facing the mobo.

The vent holes in the case underneath a bottom mount PSU is called a PSU intake by case designers and manufacturers for a reason.

I've never purchased a power supply unit based on its ability to cool a computer case because that is not the power supply's job.

Yeah I'm aware of psu vent lol

I never said it was the power supplies job to cool the case, I said I would still mount it so that it exhausted air from the case, which is how 90% of cases are configured.