[SOLVED] Power supply unit

N640GT

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Just purchased a corsair HX1200. I'm used too buying cheap power supplies not anymore will I do that lol. Could someone explain to me, what the difference between the single rail and the multi rail switch?

Solution
Toggle single +12V rail or multi +12V rail mode. In the “SINGLE” position, the full output capability of the power supply’s +12V rail is available to any and all connectors, while in the “MULTIPLE” position, each individual connector has Over-Current Protection so no more than 40A of current can be delivered on any given cable.

Honestly, it depends on what graphics card and other hardware you are running. If you are running a graphics card or pair of cards that can pull more than 40A, I'd leave it on single. If not, the marketing recommends that for protection purposes to set it to multi.

Honestly, I'd leave it on single but your configuration might require some thought on which you want to go with. Here is one side of the...
Toggle single +12V rail or multi +12V rail mode. In the “SINGLE” position, the full output capability of the power supply’s +12V rail is available to any and all connectors, while in the “MULTIPLE” position, each individual connector has Over-Current Protection so no more than 40A of current can be delivered on any given cable.

Honestly, it depends on what graphics card and other hardware you are running. If you are running a graphics card or pair of cards that can pull more than 40A, I'd leave it on single. If not, the marketing recommends that for protection purposes to set it to multi.

Honestly, I'd leave it on single but your configuration might require some thought on which you want to go with. Here is one side of the argument, but his conclusions don't represent the opinion of every knowledgeable PSU enthusiast on this subject.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/761202-single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS