Power supply upgrade and graphics card for Dell optiplex 755 DT?

Radicalr

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I have a problem, i have found my old dell optiplex 755 desktop. I am planniong on installing a Core2quad Q6700 proccesor which fits my computing needs but i am in trouble with the graphics card. the one that came with my computer is a 280 watt psu. I did find a decent graphics card (Radeon hd 4890) this one also fits me for the games i want to play, the problem is that it requires 2 6 pin power connectors, the real problem is that there is none coming from my psu, or anywhere in my pc. Is there a good psu upgrade because it requires 400 or 500 watt psu. And if my current one works, is there any way on getting a 6 pin connector to poiwer the graphics card up? or is it worth getting a similar performance gpu without 6 pin power?

*edit* I just ran an online power supply calculator and i found out that i require a 468 or ower power supply

Solution
Sorry for late answer but I have an optiplex 755DT too and im currently running a thermalake tr2 430watt psu. The only thing is that it doesn't fit in the case, so i run it like an xbox power brick. lol

You either need a new QUALTIY 500+w psu or a new low power gpu.

Radicalr

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
You either need a new QUALTIY 500+w psu or a new low power gpu.[/quotemsg]

Change of plan, I found a hd 7750 which doesnt require a 6 pin connector. It only uses 55 watt which is pretty good. Any chance of it running smoothly with 280 watt, or can you or anyone else give me links to quality psu which can actually fit into the dell optiplex 755 desktop (2n d biggest one)?

Change of plan, I found a hd 7750 which doesnt require a 6 pin connector. It only uses 55 watt which is pretty good. Any chance of it running smoothly with 280 watt, or can you or anyone else give me links to quality psu which can actually fit into the dell optiplex 755 desktop (2n d biggest one)?

[/quotemsg]

Well there is a chance it might work but I'm not 100% on that. Since you have the flat one no psu will fit in there.

II Pc User II

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Sorry for late answer but I have an optiplex 755DT too and im currently running a thermalake tr2 430watt psu. The only thing is that it doesn't fit in the case, so i run it like an xbox power brick. lol

Solution