Power supply voltage specs...help....

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Hey guys, built a new pc around Christmas, and for money's sake used the PSU that came with the tower, it was actually all Christmas presents, but I didn't have cash to go grab a better one, and according to the guy who sold it who owned/worked in a chain of computer shops, they had a lot of these particular tower/PSU combos and very few problems with them, so I figured it would do till later, planning to upgrade when I upgraded the video card and what not. It read 24A on the 12v+ rail, and so I figured it would be allright, never really any stability issues or problems with it.

Currently I'm running

Athlon 5200 x2
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2287&ProductName=GA-M57SLI-S4

2gb ddr2 667 memory
320 gb seagate sata hard drive
ide dvd burner
7300 le video card

Got up this morning, noticed it had recovered from a blue screen, which I've never had a blue screen with this system, always very stable, usually on all the time.

Noticed core temp according to speedfan is right over 30 degrees C, like 31-32, was running hotter earlier, up to 37 but realized it was doing a virus scan, probably need to clean out the heatsink, even though I'm using the stock heatsink/fan, it used to always idle at under 30 degrees C, but it's pretty dusty right where it sits as well. But no other place to put it, so need to get some canned air. The thing that concerns me more I guess are my voltages.

According to speedfan they are these...

vcore 1 1.2(though it seems to fluctuate between 1.14-1.3, I assume cool and quiet maybe?)
vcore 2 1.81(if this is memory, then I think that's pretty close as I am pretty sure memory is set to 1.8 stock)
+3.3v is running about +3.25-3.26
+5 is about +4.97
12v+ rail is about 12.16v

What's concerning me are these 2 numbers...

-12v rail is running -16.64
-5 is running -8.78

Battery is sitting about 3.10

I'm guessing that maybe it got too hot or something if it's dusty in the heatsink fins, I don't know, haven't popped the case open as of yet.

Cooling wise, I have a huge case fan about the size of a soccer ball pulling air in the side, stock heatsink/fan, and a pretty powerful 80 mm fan drawing air out underneath the PSU, plus the fan in the psu pulling out the back. Never bothered with more cooling b/c as I said, this guy used to idle under 30 degrees C on the core, like around 27 or so. What do you guys think? Done quite a few builds, but just wanting to double check, b/c like I said, I've NEVER had this system blue screen on me till now, so it's been stable as a rock. I've done quite a few builds, actually am a computer tech professionally, but PSU's, I'm still learning about, and know the main thing you look at is amps on 12v+ positive rail and everything should be roughly within 10%+ or minus the rated specs. Thanks in advance.

Your + voltages look good and I don't think modern systems even use the - voltages.

The temps are so darn close. I can't see a few degrees indicating much of anything and they are quite safe and low even if they are slightly higher than usual.

My guess is you got an anomalous BSOD and things are really OK. If it keep happening then maybe get a better PSU.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Yeah, like I said, thought I'd just check, things looked ok, but you know....I think I might get a new PSU anyway what with tax refunds coming back, see if I can pick up a decent dual rail PSU cheap. Later I'll probably go to a 9600gt video card, so I'll need something better anyway. Question, starting to eye lcd monitors, specifically, walmart has had a 19 widescreen Dell monitor that I'm liking, but my wife apparently had another tech tell her not to buy dell from them that it's all overstock or that it's not as good. Anyone else ever hear that?

Btw, it runs just under 200 for that monitor + tax. Just feel better getting that local as I think I would not have to worry as much about dead pixels.