[SOLVED] Power supply weird noise.

Apr 7, 2020
So lately i have had this really strange noise coming from my power supply fan, i can't exactly remember when it started it's just that lately its been getting really annoying, My PC is around 6-7 years old now, never had any issues what so ever.
My power supply is a Cougar A760 760 watt.

View: https://vimeo.com/404911718

Here is what i'm hearing, it comes and goes, sometimes loud some times not, i feel like it goes away when i start playing games or something, or maybe the GPU Fans just become louder, i'm not sure.

thanks.

Apr 7, 2020
Souns like a bad fan bearing. Those may make noise under certain RPM conditions when worn out.
Should i be worried? i'm afraid that the psu is failing , and if so will it cause harm to the motherboard and the rest of the components
Should i get it fixed? and will cleaning it with an air blower help in any way?

Your computer is 6-7 years you say. That also mean you should expect some components to fail anytime soon. From experience I know that motherboards and PSU is the components that tend to break first.

Only thing I'd worry about is backup of most important files, anything else can be replaced.

Reactions: Mo99zh
Apr 7, 2020
Your computer is 6-7 years you say. That also mean you should expect some components to fail anytime soon. From experience I know that motherboards and PSU is the components that tend to break first.

Only thing I'd worry about is backup of most important files, anything else can be replaced.
Thanks, will do.
1 more question, can a faulty PSU cause harm to the GPU? i recently got my new graphics card and i'm planning on using it again in my next build.
i've read a lot of stuff about the PSU being underpowered and somethings to do with the voltage etc..
So all that got me worried.

can a faulty PSU cause harm to the GPU?
Technical, yes. In practice no, unless you're living in a location where lightening often occurs and the nearby power grid is based on cables suspended in the air.
Most voltage sypplies should be equipped with overvoltage protection. Most often when PSU get old, the gets unable to keep a steady voltage, resulting unstability and crashes.