[SOLVED] Power Supply won't stay on

kk4901

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
New Build....tested the power supply with paper clip and it powers on and stays on. When connected to the motherboard it will turn on for maybe 2 seconds and then shut right off. I've reseated CPU, RAM have unplugged all cables and reattached. I've tried it with no hardware, with just a CD rom, with just a hard drive...same result always. The only thing I have not done is taken the motherboard out and reinstalled it. Will that make any difference...I don't see how. What's the best guess....a bad mother board?

Solution
New Build....tested the power supply with paper clip and it powers on and stays on. When connected to the motherboard it will turn on for maybe 2 seconds and then shut right off. I've reseated CPU, RAM have unplugged all cables and reattached. I've tried it with no hardware, with just a CD rom, with just a hard drive...same result always. The only thing I have not done is taken the motherboard out and reinstalled it. Will that make any difference...I don't see how. What's the best guess....a bad mother board?
Paper clip test can show as little as that fan is turning, it's far from proof that PSU is in completely working order.
There's no "Asus rock" did you mean ASROCK ?
If yes is this one...
Paper clip test can show as little as that fan is turning, it's far from proof that PSU is in completely working order.
There's no "Asus rock" did you mean ASROCK ?
If yes is this one https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B365M Pro4/index.asp#CPU ?
If yes, it doesn't support 6th gen Intel, 8th and 9th only.

Last edited:
Solution