Question PSU works but PC won't turn on no matter what I do -- the motherboard is pretty much new ?

Jul 14, 2024
I just built my first PC and it turned on fine,
but after I changed the case the day after it doesn’t turn on anymore.

I tried reconnecting everything including trying to jumpstart the power button and I tried the paperclip method on the PSU and it worked just fine.

Does this mean its a dead motherboard even if its pretty much brand new ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The paperclip method is flawed, it only shows that the PSU outputs power but it won't tell you how much power it can output.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

but after i changed the case the day after it doesn’t turn on anymore
Please mention the makes and models of both cases. Check to see if you have a stand off for the case under a soldering point on the motherboard.

Jul 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The paperclip method is flawed, it only shows that the PSU outputs power but it won't tell you how much power it can output.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

but after i changed the case the day after it doesn’t turn on anymore
Please mention the makes and models of both cases. Check to see if you have a stand off for the case under a soldering point on the motherboard.

CPU: Intel® Core™ 12th Gen i3-12100f​

Cpu cooler: the stock cooler that comes with the processor.

Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G WIFI DDR4 ProSeries Motherboard​

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz​

SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD​

Gpu: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDRR6​

Psu: CORSAIR CX650 80 Plus Bronze Non Modular Low-Noise ATX 650 Watt Power Supply It was brand new out the box​

I only know the information about the new case the old one was given to me so I have no idea but her it is

GAMDIAS Mid Tower ATX Gaming PC Computer Case w/Tempered Glass, 4 Built-in 120mm Fixed RGB Fans, Support Up to 6X 120mm Case Fans, 240mm AIO/Radiator, 260mm GPU/VGA, 160mm CPU Cooler​

And I will see if the stand off is the problem once I disassemble it tomorrow thank you for the help.

CPU: Intel® Core™ 12th Gen i3-12100f​

Cpu cooler: the stock cooler that comes with the processor.

Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G WIFI DDR4 ProSeries Motherboard​

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz​

SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD​

Gpu: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDRR6​

Psu: CORSAIR CX650 80 Plus Bronze Non Modular Low-Noise ATX 650 Watt Power Supply It was brand new out the box​

I only know the information about the new case the old one was given to me so I have no idea but her it is

GAMDIAS Mid Tower ATX Gaming PC Computer Case w/Tempered Glass, 4 Built-in 120mm Fixed RGB Fans, Support Up to 6X 120mm Case Fans, 240mm AIO/Radiator, 260mm GPU/VGA, 160mm CPU Cooler​

And I will see if the stand off is the problem once I disassemble it tomorrow thank you for the help.
It's possible there's a short somewhere or it's damaged, take it out and try outside of the case.