[SOLVED] Power supply

Talinthus

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Im not sure if it would however is it possible that a bad power supply can cause your breaker to flip. And the components i have arent enough to max it out. The psu calculator says at max load it should only pull about 450 but its a 600w

Solution
If the PSU has failed with an internal short circuit then yeah it could trip a breaker. At that point it doesn't matter what the PSU is rated for or what components you have.

Edit: Forgot, high inrush current could also trip a breaker, particularly if you have old/sub par wiring in your house I think. That could cause an otherwise OK PSU to trip a breaker.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 'bad' PSU can do all sorts of things. It would be rare that it would be attempting to draw enough power to trip a breaker but honestly, with a poor quality PSU, nothing would surprise me.

What PSU are we talking about here?

What are your full system specs?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If the PSU has failed with an internal short circuit then yeah it could trip a breaker. At that point it doesn't matter what the PSU is rated for or what components you have.

Edit: Forgot, high inrush current could also trip a breaker, particularly if you have old/sub par wiring in your house I think. That could cause an otherwise OK PSU to trip a breaker.

Last edited:
Solution

Talinthus

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
A 'bad' PSU can do all sorts of things. It would be rare that it would be attempting to draw enough power to trip a breaker but honestly, with a poor quality PSU, nothing would surprise me.

What PSU are we talking about here?

What are your full system specs?
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
I have currently a corsair rm850x power supply (i replaced my old one and havent seen any problems yet im just trying to see if its possible)
i7-4770k
16gb Ddr3 Ram
RTX 2060
6TB WD P hard drive
120 Patriot SSD
my old power supply was an evga 600w Silver rated.